Total Solar Eclipse - April 8, 2024

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking for some detail on the April 2024 eclipse path as previously the path descriptions I had seen were somewhat general. This site came up and it can be zoomed to a great level of detail. Interactive map for the 2024 Eclipse Simulator | Eclipse2024.org I was surprised as it looks like the lower boundary for totality (assuming its clear) runs through Milan NH. Mt Cabot is not in the path shown but Rogers Ledge is. THe numbers I saw is about 1 in 5 that the weather is clear in Northern NH.

Roger's was my original plan but I have a feeling that I would have more company than I'm up for. I watched the last one floating on a pond and will probably try to find a descent south facing shoreline somewhere to post up.

April 8th in the whites may mean walking out on thin ice;)
Hence the "shoreline" part. I'm hoping to find a drive up spot on some MPRL or in KI-Jo but the road conditions don't leave me optimistic. I guess I get to spend my summer familiarizing myself with things NE of 26. You wouldn't be renting out a Unimog, would you?

Sorry, my difficult to get Unimog insurance is strictly not for commercial use ;). Its still got a couple of feet of snow in front of it and I do not drive it when there is salt on the road.

The problem with many of the open summits in the north country, are that they are not readily accessible via public roads and during early April various logging roads may be closed for mud season. Its just not a great time of year to try to plan.

I've never seen a total eclipse in my life, so this will be a special treat for me,
That treat is a major understatement. You will never forget any eclipse you ever see. Don't settle for anything less. even up to 99% totality, nothing beats seeing the sharp edge of the shadow wall rushing toward you at 1000 mph as you go under fully 100% total.

Last edited:
I was looking for some detail on the April 2024 eclipse path as previously the path descriptions I had seen were somewhat general. This site came up and it can be zoomed to a great level of detail. Interactive map for the 2024 Eclipse Simulator | Eclipse2024.org I was surprised as it looks like the lower boundary for totality (assuming its clear) runs through Milan NH. Mt Cabot is not in the path shown but Rogers Ledge is. THe numbers I saw is about 1 in 5 that the weather is clear in Northern NH.
My go-to site is Mexico - USA - 2024 April 8 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier . More information than you could want for any location: max partial percent, totality duration, altitude, azimuth.
Definitely go for it, even though April in the Whites is not likely to be clear.

I think I'll just pop over to Katahdin that day. Shouldn't be a problem and likely have the mtn to myself.

August 21, 2017 was my 60th birthday. Prema and I drove south and ended up in a kind small trucking company's parking lot in Sweetwater, TN. talking with a family next to us while waiting for the dark - they were working on the NH 48 list!

Only two regrets on this trip - 1. Forgot that the skeeters come out at dusk - even a temporary dusk - so poor Prema was slapping away. 2. Didn't realize this phenomenon creates a 360 degree "sunset," so I did not look in back of us to see the color on the horizon, Anyone here thinking of going, I highly recommend it!

Anyone have a weather forecast a year from now? ...those living in the northeast know early April it could be 80 degrees or 30 degrees with a foot of snow blowing 😉

81F and bright sunny robin's egg blue sky today at my place in the Adirondacks with multiple patches of snow still in the woods.

Not to sound salty, but a solar eclipse does nothing for me at all, lol. It gets somewhat dark for a few minutes. Granted, I find most astronomical events mundane to say the least. I do like a blazing Comet, that's my one exception, haha. o_O

Last edited:
Not to sound salty, but a solar eclipse does nothing for me at all, lol. It gets somewhat dark for a few minutes. Granted, I find most astrological events mundane to say the least. I do like a blazing Comet, that's my one exception, haha. o_O
Eclipses don't really excite me either, but one astronomical event that did catch my attention happened a couple of years ago when I was at my buddy's cabin on Streeter Pond outside of Franconia. Across the pond rose Jupiter, then Saturn, and finally the full moon in succession. They formed a triangle in the night sky and Jupiter looked huge. That was pretty cool. Wish I had a photo.

By the way, the reason it may not do anything for you is that is is not an astrological event in any way. It is an astonomical event. Nothing to do with what "sign" you are born under. For people who enjoy learning and experiencing sciences and events greater than what humans can create, it is a rarely experienced big deal indeed.

Last edited:
By the way, the reason it may not do anything for you is that is is not an astrological event in any way. It is an astonomical event. Nothing to do with what "sign" you are born under. For people who enjoy learning and experiencing sciences and events greater than what humans can create, it is a rarely experienced big deal indeed.
Congratulations, you are doing an amazing job cementing the reptation of VFTT as being full of snobs.

We are considering a less wild option by going to the Fairbanks Museum & Planetarium in St. Johnsbury. Having Mark Breen narrate what's going on while it's happening is very tempting.

I like how an eclipse rearranges your typical perspective of your place in the Universe. Yes, we actually are standing on a chunk of mass spinning through the Universe.

Eclipses don't really excite me either, but one astronomical event that did catch my attention happened a couple of years ago when I was at my buddy's cabin on Streeter Pond outside of Franconia. Across the pond rose Jupiter, then Saturn, and finally the full moon in succession. They formed a triangle in the night sky and Jupiter looked huge. That was pretty cool. Wish I had a photo.
I bivied up Carter Ledge for a similar event in June. Mercury, Venus, the moon, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn, with the glow of the sun on the horizon. I wish I had a better picture. 4am or so.20220625_035010~2.jpg