Total Solar Eclipse - April 8, 2024

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
There will be a Total Solar Eclipse on April 8, 2024. It will swing from Mexico to Maine and then off to sea. Normally that would not be a topic of VFTT. However, guess where the center of the eclipse passes over in Maine? You guessed it, the greatest mountain, Katahdin !

If I had half a brain, I'd visit my sister in upstate NY and head for Niagara Falls, but I'm attracted by the big K. I've summited it 4 times in my life starting in 1963, more than many.

A few questions:

• Is Baxter Park open? If not can you get in anyway?
  • How's the weather in early April? Snow on the ground?
  • I'm guessing we would get up to Chimney Pond the day before the eclipse.
  • Which would be the easiest snow-on-the-ground trails up? I would guess the Saddle Trail or maybe the Hamlin Ridge Trail (longer to the summit but maybe easier)?

Anyone else interested in this crazy idea?

Last edited:
The center line passes right over my brother's camp on the edge of Lake Ontario near Watertown NY. It next passes directly over my daughter's home near Plattsburgh. Too bad I can't travel 1000 mph to be with both.

Based on my experiences during previous solar eclipses going back to my first total in1970 (the most recent being in 2017), get your hotel reservations early and buy your eye protection eclipse glasses well ahead of time. I already have mine for me and family, and a telescope with objective end filters for direct vieweing. (the total phase is safe to look at directly through a telescope wihtout filtering - but be sure to get your timing right)

What are the chances of clear skies in the northeast in early April? At least my son near the path in Texas will have a good chance to see it.

Last edited:
The park is closed from March 31st to opening day which is typically in early June. The tote road may still be in use by snowmobiles but definitely snowed in. Sure some folks probably sneak in but there is ranger staff keeping an eye out. There are rangers in the park keeping an eye out for folks and on occasion they arrest folks for breaking the rules. The campsites especially Chimney would be closed. You may be able to get a cabin at KWW next door but the roads are most likely closed so its a long ski or fat bike in.

Last edited:
Thanks peakbagger, that would seem to put the scheme out of the question.

Unless, of course, they have a special eclipse watching opening, but road conditions would make such a visit untenable.

Rg

From what I have heard the spring breakup of the snow pack from the ravines around Katahdin is pretty chaotic. Nothing they could plan to let people in My guess is Sugarloaf or Jay in VT may be better options

My g/f's family has a house on Honeoye Lake in the path of totality. Her hometown of Brockport is directly in the center of the path of totality. We're planning to be at one place or the other. :)

My g/f's family has a house on Honeoye Lake in the path of totality. Her hometown of Brockport is directly in the center of the path of totality. We're planning to be at one place or the other. :)

Perhaps hosting a VFTT cookout/get together??? :p

Perhaps hosting a VFTT cookout/get together??? :p

That's actually not a bad idea. I'd have to work out parking logistics with the neighbors as there's only room for 4 or 5 cars. But the neighbor has a large field they use when they have parties. So unless they are planning a big party, that might work!

That's actually not a bad idea. I'd have to work out parking logistics with the neighbors as there's only room for 4 or 5 cars. But the neighbor has a large field they use when they have parties. So unless they are planning a big party, that might work!

I wasn't putting you on the spot. Just a little humor. Would be cool though.

No pressure. I'd love to. We'll see.

Just a caution, parking in a field in April might not work well...

The fields are cleared of snow. The neighbors race boats professionally in the summer, and host ice-fishing and x-country skiing events in the winter. They have parking. Mud is not an issue there. That said, I need to talk to my neighbor friend about the use of his field, or part of his field. It won't be used much for much in April. Unless they have eclipse party plans .....

The fields are cleared of snow. The neighbors race boats professionally in the summer, and host ice-fishing and x-country skiing events in the winter. They have parking. Mud is not an issue there. That said, I need to talk to my neighbor friend about the use of his field, or part of his field. It won't be used much for much in April. Unless they have eclipse party plans .....
Shhh, don't mention that! :D

I know this has been discussed before, but thank you PapaBear for bringing this up. I just booked a place in Mexico at normal prices. :D I've never seen a total eclipse in my life, so this will be a special treat for me, and according to this site (scroll down to the 2nd map), median cloud cover from the years 2000-2020 is pushing 90% in northern NH for April 8, and not much better elsewhere for the northern tier states, so not very promising. Katahdin would likely be you'd see the fog getting dark. :rolleyes:

Unable to work out the logistics. So much so, that we've even decided not to stay there. Our back-up plan of Brockport, in the direct center of the path of totality, is where we'll be.

Salty is correct about the likelihood of being clouded out in northern New England. This Sky & Telescope web page (and links therein) are a great planning resource. The further SW you go, the more likely you are to actually see the eclipse.

As much as I am opposed to Texas, I'm probably going to Texas.
-vegematic