Trail Conditions around Lonesome Lake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardyb

Reaction score
My original plan was to hike Moosihuake this weekend but due to Saturdays forecast of temps in the single digits and wind I was thinking of changing my plans and try to keep below the tree line. Does anyone know the conditions of the Cascade Brook trail or any other trails around Lonesome Lake? I am trying to put together a good day hike in this area, does anyone have any suggestions.

It's not trail-specific, but you can check out the trail conditions around the AMC facilities here, updated daily. As of yesterday, they were saying:
Packed snow with some ice above hut. SNowshoes and crampons recommended above hut but not needed.

Lonesome but Lovely

I was just up there today ( Kinsmans and Cannon via Lonesome Lake/Fishin Jimmy/Kinsman Ridge and down Hi-Cannon) There is quite a bit of drifting around the lake, and to a lesser extent on Kinsman Ridge. I barebooted to both Kinsmans and used snowshoes from the Fishin' Jimmy/Kinsman Ridge jct., which I kept on to the top of the ladder on Hi-Cannon. There is about 2-4" of new cover, and in many places the trail "trench" is filled in, with the occasional 2-4' snow fin crossing the trail. You could probably use crampons on the upper part of Fishin' J.