Trail Runner Rescue - Mt Isolation Trail.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious that they didn't include the oft-used "hiker was/was not prepared" statement.

Guess he didn't want to pay for the Ambulance drive.

Curious that they didn't include the oft-used "hiker was/was not prepared" statement.

That's because he was a local. Only flat landers are unprepared. Ask anyone on this forum...

I also noticed the deviation from the standard F&G "script" it just may be that a different officer prepared it?. The other unusual aspect was the comment that the injury was caused by having to veer off the trail to avoid other hikers with a dog. Pure speculation on my part is that some portion of trail runners seem to assume that they have the absolute right of way when encountering hikers on the trail. Most say "Excuse me" and that is apparently supposed to establish priority. I usually step aside but a group with a dog may not even know that someone is running behind them and wants to pass. When I am hiking with someone else and conversing, we have been startled by a runner coming behind us multiple times. Some folks run with headphones and seem to be very focused on the footbed than what is ahead of them. That can lead to a bit of startling encounter when parties encounter each other especially way out on the trails (Stillwater area for example)

Obviously, Mt Isolation trail has multiple varieties of conditions, the 4.2 miles lines up with the relative "flats" between the upper and lower crossings (closer to the upper) This section between the upper and final lower crossing was quite wide in many spots due to hikers trying to avoid the mud which was noticeable when I last hiked it 3 years ago in the fall. Perhaps the group was trying to avoid the mud or the runner tried to avoid the group at speed and hit a slippery spot? By the description my guess, is the hiker probably fell and hobbled down hill to the lower crossing and was then carried up and over Engine Hill by rescuers. He is lucky he had cell coverage, that area did not have great coverage in the past, even route 16 had several areas with poor coverage several years ago when I was working a project down in North Conway. No doubt with the highend housing boom in Barlett and Jackson, the coverage in that area has been reinforced. With night time temps dropping into the 30s these days an unexpected evening out without extra layers can get real cold real fast.

In the past when I observed the apparent difference in level of equipment carried by many trail runners in the backcountry, I was "educated" by another member that a typical trail runner was more of an athlete and in better physical condition than a typical hiker and therefore would be less prone to getting injured and therefore did not need to carry as much equipment ;). I think at the time he observed that it must be true as one rarely heard of trail runner calling for rescue. No doubt I see folks running with packs with enough volume to carry the ten essentials with careful packing but see just as many in the backcountry with a hydration pack with enough space for possibly a cell phone and car keys.

As usual it would be nice to get more info out of these reports. I believe F&G collects it but someone would probably need to do a FOI act request to get it.

From his Strava run on the day

Bad Ending

"A couple and their dog were standing in this creek crossing. They didn’t move so instead of stopping and waiting myself I jumped up onto the boulder to the right to overtake them and dodge the dog. Jumped one boulder two boulders and then there wasn’t anywhere else to go so I slammed straight into the third boulder directly with hip. Worst pain I’ve ever experienced by far. Made it around a mile in 6hrs. Still 3.5miles/2k’ from th. Called search and rescue cause I knew I’d freeze if I spent the night. Don’t know if I’d have made it but definitely would’ve lost some toes. So grateful for the team who helped me. I’m going to do bake sales and help them as much as possible going forward, and get certified, and be more prepared each and every run. Unlucky I got hurt like this, never thought I ever would have something that prevented me from moving. Lucky it wasn’t worse. Probably a labrum tear or something. Will have to see orthopedist but quite confident season is done."

He's not new to trail running and ultra's from his Strava feed that is for sure but his inexperience with running in shoulder season in the Whites definitely shows in his post. Most of the regulars up here who trail run know what to put in there running packs in case they need to spend an uncomfortable night out from an injury like this. You'd be amazed what we can jam into our running packs to keep us warm enough overnight to live this time of year.

From his Strava run on the day

Bad Ending

"Unlucky I got hurt like this, never thought I ever would have something that prevented me from moving."

Unlucky or impatient? I also don't think I've ever heard the word creek in New England.

I'd say impatient. You're on mile 24 of your 40 mile training run, use this as a chance to catch your breath and relax for a minute or two until the people and dog cross that creek and get out of your way.

I'd say impatient. You're on mile 24 of your 40 mile training run, use this as a chance to catch your breath and relax for a minute or two until the people and dog cross that creek and get out of your way.

"Called search and rescue cause I knew I’d freeze if I spent the night..."

That's the "unprepared" part.

I like how he shifted it from going deeply into the middle of the woods in a pair of shorts where he would admittedly freeze to death if something happened, to the dog. Sort of surprised he didn't blame postholes, too. :D

I'm sure he has amassed a lot of miles doing just the same, but I always thought it was plan for the worst, hope for the best. His plan, it appears, to prepare for the worst was a call. Pretty certain that's a good example of the scenario talked about on another thread. He did TRY for a long time to get himself out of it (kudos), but in the end his lack of preparedness necessitated the call.

I haven't encountered too many trail runners that far into the woods, but did see one between Guyot and South Twin years ago. Passed me (and my dog LOL) in a pair of sneakers, socks, running shorts, carrying his t-shirt. That was it. I wondered what would happen if he turned an ankle...now I know....

He's not new to trail running and ultra's from his Strava feed that is for sure but his inexperience with running in shoulder season in the Whites definitely shows in his post. Most of the regulars up here who trail run know what to put in there running packs in case they need to spend an uncomfortable night out from an injury like this. You'd be amazed what we can jam into our running packs to keep us warm enough overnight to live this time of year.

I’m not really familiar with trail running. What specific gear would a responsible trail runner carry at this time of the year in the Whites?

Just curious…

This runner was not prepared by self admission to be able to spend a night in the woods. There are the lists that show the recommended things to carry for one’s safety including a list on The F&G’s website. In the end of it we are all responsible to carry the things we think we need to survive. Over time and through our experiences hopefully one learns and becomes better at one’s given craft. Through that journey inevitably for all some subjectivity for one’s learned style gets applied. Although it is important to observe and maintain objectivism each and every time we enter the woods. I think most of us get behaviorally reinforced for the things we do right and wrong every time we go out. If we continually hit the trail with our given self perceived preparedness and are successful time and again the behavior will continue and our objectivity can decline. If you have gone on multiple 40 mile mountain runs with minimal gear and have been successful in your own mind then it is entirely possible you will feel positively reinforced by that behavior and more than likely repeat the behavior again. In other words I believe many hikers, climbers, skiers and trail runners get away with what can be a potentially toxic scenario time and again. In other words IMO it is easy to learn what one perceives as safe. Throw in some endorphins and thence is the potential scenario for a bad incident to happen.

This runner was not prepared by self admission to be able to spend a night in the woods. There are the lists that show the recommended things to carry for one’s safety including a list on The F&G’s website. In the end of it we are all responsible to carry the things we think we need to survive. Over time and through our experiences hopefully one learns and becomes better at one’s given craft. Through that journey inevitably for all some subjectivity for one’s learned style gets applied. Although it is important to observe and maintain objectivism each and every time we enter the woods. I think most of us get behaviorally reinforced for the things we do right and wrong every time we go out. If we continually hit the trail with our given self perceived preparedness and are successful time and again the behavior will continue and our objectivity can decline. If you have gone on multiple 40 mile mountain runs with minimal gear and have been successful in your own mind then it is entirely possible you will feel positively reinforced by that behavior and more than likely repeat the behavior again. In other words I believe many hikers, climbers, skiers and trail runners get away with what can be a potentially toxic scenario time and again. In other words IMO it is easy to learn what one perceives as safe. Throw in some endorphins and thence is the potential scenario for a bad incident to happen.

While I think there is some merit to your thought process, I don't agree with the premise. I know some ultra-light runners and fast hikers, they clearly know that they are lacking in emergency gear and that the odds are long, they will pay for that transgression. It's a simple roll of the dice, once in 100 hikes, you may come up snake eyes. When I pass hikers on a nice summer day and they have tiny packs, sometimes I feel like my pack is too heavy. BUT, I have spent time out injured, once for almost 24 hours in severe pain the whole time. But I was warm and had food and a decent first aid kit, I used pretty much everything in my pack that day and night. Plus, I carry even more crap for my dog, rescue harness, vet tape, first aid. One thing I did agree with in your post ( I actually agree with many of your post) I do believe in getting better at my craft, I've read 100's of books on mountain climbing, I take pride in my skillset, it did not come easy, I assure you that. We all make decisions in life and we live with the consequences, as it should be.

AS for this trail runner, he came up snake eyes. I am glad he is ok and it wouldn't surprise me if his pack got heavier for his next trip.

As some have alluded to, we've pretty much have beaten the "Are trail runners prepared" bit into the ground previously. As the choir knows, April, July, October and January are all very different. I'd agree with the impatient part.

Everyone should hike their own hike is a hiker saying, is there a similar one for trail runners? Is it like the highway, stay right except to pass? (If you share the road with NJ, CT, or MA cars, you know they mostly ignore that.) Do they expect it works like a track, stay inside unless you are passing? If you are on a shared trail, you probably should expect different responses. When I'm on a rail trail with bikers, it surprises me how few say anything when approaching from behind. I doubt they are looking to see if I may step left suddenly to avoid a equine or canine pie? If a bee is buzzing in my face, I might step right suddenly but apparently saying, "On your left", is too hard for some.

I hope he heals quickly .

I've noticed that F&G has gotten away from the prepared/unprepared statements in favor of saying they were experienced. I have no idea if that means 10, 20, 48, 67, or 100 4,000 footers or all the hundred highest or if you are a section AT hiker or just live in the area.

To my mind, the risk management questions here center on solo travel, not trail running per se.

The classic formulation of risk is:
Risk = threat (chance of a bad thing happening) X impact (the ramifications of the bad thing happening)

When climbers refer to "exposure", they are referring to impact, for example.

Trail running increases threat, no way around it. I've seen crash and burns like the runner described numerous times while skiing bumps in VT (back in the day). Sometimes you're going too fast and just run out of options and eat it. All fun and games on piste where you can count on a sled ride. On the other hand, Steve Barnett advocated, "Never ski faster than you're willing to hit a tree."

I'm much more aware of solo hiking than I used to be thanks to YiuTube and such. I'm sure I'm not the only person here who has taken a fall while soloing. As I get older, it seems to happen more. We also all know, or should know, that a simple slip on a wet root could render us incapacitated just like that. What good is a pack full of overnight gear if you've fractured your skull or have a tib/fib compound fracture?

This guy was running too fast a paid the price. But then, I've skied and hiked in conditions when the "sketch factor" was high. I'm a big fan of the 10 essentials but they aren't a fix for an incapacitating injury.

While I think there is some merit to your thought process, I don't agree with the premise. I know some ultra-light runners and fast hikers, they clearly know that they are lacking in emergency gear and that the odds are long, they will pay for that transgression. It's a simple roll of the dice, once in 100 hikes, you may come up snake eyes. When I pass hikers on a nice summer day and they have tiny packs, sometimes I feel like my pack is too heavy. BUT, I have spent time out injured, once for almost 24 hours in severe pain the whole time. But I was warm and had food and a decent first aid kit, I used pretty much everything in my pack that day and night. Plus, I carry even more crap for my dog, rescue harness, vet tape, first aid. One thing I did agree with in your post ( I actually agree with many of your post) I do believe in getting better at my craft, I've read 100's of books on mountain climbing, I take pride in my skillset, it did not come easy, I assure you that. We all make decisions in life and we live with the consequences, as it should be.

AS for this trail runner, he came up snake eyes. I am glad he is ok and it wouldn't surprise me if his pack got heavier for his next trip.
Never said anything about ridge runners not being aware of their behaviors. I agree they are totally aware in most circumstances of what they are doing. What I did say and it was not specific to just ridge runners but outdoor enthusiasts in general is that we all can be reinforced by successful and positive events just as much as negative events therefore influencing our behaviors going forward. That coupled with decreased objectivity not lack of awareness is where injury and or lack of preparedness potentially may occur.

Last edited: