Trail Runners & Snow Shoe Systems

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
Snowshoe running is nothing new but it can be challenging when you're on long days trekking through deep, potentially unconsolidated snow whether you're hiking or (trying) to run. Based on some rec's from Jason Faceybookis I started experimenting with using trail runners in combination with snowshoes. There are a lot of options, but the first thing I realized you gotta do is keep your feet dry. Jason has been getting shoes sized up a few sized while I've been sticking to a double trail sock -- light smart wool or darn tough sock, plastic bag, then another sock on top of that. Then I put a neoprene bootie over my shoe. It doesn't work the best because A) my shoes aren't water proof so they do let in moisture and B) socks aren't thick enough so I get cold if I stop too long.

Jason Facebookie, however, recently got a pair of the Inov-8 Roclite 288's high top sized a few sizes up to accommodate a thicker sock and they're also gortex. They're also part of the Roclite line for Inov'8's (I have the 295's) which I think are a great all around trail runner and hiking shoe. They can really take an incredible beating, even on the nasty rock in the presis, and they still perform great. (I have no affiliation with Inov-8 btw).

I haven't decided what I'm going to do for a snowshoe system. I am sick of my MSR's. They're a good shoe but the binding gets frustrating when coupled with a softer shoe and they're a bit heavy. Some people like the Northern Lite's (which I probably will get) but others prefer the Atlas running snowshoes. Others like the Dion but I feel like they're not versatile enough for me because I will probably do a large % of my snowshoe activities this winter in deeper, possible unconsolidated or unbroken snow and the Dion's seem like they'd be a poor choice for that.

I already talk about this crap amongst my other psychically defecating friends but I figured that I'd throw this out there on VFTT to see if anyone has any other ideas or if anyone would like to give a new thing a try.

The big difference, that I see, from using trail runners vs. heavy boots (especially the plastic shoes) is that they're super light, much more flexible and if you need to run on trails (blasting down a nice packed trail is the greatest) then you have that option. Obviously you're not going to climb Everest in trail runners but there are plenty of instances in the New England Winters that they make snowshoe hiking / running much more easy and fun...

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
There are a lot of options, but the first thing I realized you gotta do is keep your feet dry. Jason has been getting shoes sized up a few sized while I've been sticking to a double trail sock -- light smart wool or darn tough sock, plastic bag, then another sock on top of that. Then I put a neoprene bootie over my shoe. It doesn't work the best because A) my shoes aren't water proof so they do let in moisture and B) socks aren't thick enough so I get cold if I stop too long.

Last winter, I began using BOGS boots with my snowshoes and I thought they worked great. They use rubber and neoprene to make a cohesive boot, rather than using a neoprene bootie and trail-runner combo.

I used a pair of BOGS Ranchers all last winter. I think they might solve some of your problems or at least be an option for some people. They're waterproof and warm with just my normal winter socks and a thin liner. I just bought my regular size, so no need to make extra space. They're light and flexible. They're easy to take on and off. So, if my feet get too hot, it's easy to slip out your feet and let them cool off a bit. Finally, the lowers are made to resist chemicals, so the salt and muck at trail-heads didn't cause any damage to my boots.

The only drawback I found is that you can't tighten the boots, since most of their models don't have any laces or straps. You have to make sure they fit without slipping or adjust the thickness of your socks. Luckily, they seem to fit me well.

What ever happened to the Kahtoola Flight System? I'm sure it had problems, like any prototype, but it seemed like an interesting push forward for the overall technology.

What ever happened to the Kahtoola Flight System? I'm sure it had problems, like any prototype, but it seemed like an interesting push forward for the overall technology.
Jason Facebuggy has a lot of opinions on them as he's used them off-and-on for a while. I've never tried them but it seems like they haven't resolved a lot of their issues.

-Mr. Kill

Regarding the Flight Deck (cut and pasted from my Facebook account):

The snowshes themselves were wearing out…where the decking wraps around the frame, and where the heel crampons rub against the decking. I called Kahtoola, and they basically told me that they might have one or two pairs of snowshoes laying around, but that's it. I suppose you could replace the decking yourself, if you were so inclined, though. I was wearing them over trail runners, and they were way warm. That was not an issue. Warmer and dryer than any other setup I've ever used.

Running in the crampons on packed trails was good. They're not real sharp, though. Less traction than Microspikes on ice. Running in the snowshoes was beautiful...expecially long days. Absolutely no pressure points on your foot. Just even pressue from the neoprene all over your foot. Really comfy. They don't have the spring-loaded binding, though, so if you're really looking to race around with them, maybe not the best. Personally I hate the spring-loaded deal, so I loved em. Note that when you take into account the overboot, the system isn't particularly light.

JFBuggy

I have been told that Northern Lite will customize snowshoes -- I'm thinking of going with a Northern Light Snowshoe base with a Tubbs Flex crampon/binding system -- seems like the best of both worlds for my purposes; which are long distance, lighter weight winter hiking.

I REALLY like the look of the Innov8's Roclite hightops you linked (I think Silverfox also wears these?) -- however, for me the concern is always insulation as my feet get REALLY cold.

Great thread; I'd love to hear what people are using.

Nothing to add here in regards to running, but I wholeheartedly endorse your plastic baggy/sneaker approach. I was amazed last year when I first tried that. In fact, walking through snow with the turkey roasting bags sandwiched between two pairs of socks was the warmest set-up I'd ever tried in winter conditions. Crazy.

How well is it possible to run with snowshoes, anyway? Even with short ones, it seems like it would still change your gait enough to make running kind of awkward. Or is it?

I REALLY like the look of the Innov8's Roclite hightops you linked (I think Silverfox also wears these?) -- however, for me the concern is always insulation as my feet get REALLY cold.
Great thread; I'd love to hear what people are using.

I bought a pair of the Inov 8 boots this summer but would most certainly not wear them in winter. My feet would surely freeze.

I love these. Bought them last winter after reading positive reviews by VFTT folks. They are surprisingly ligthweight and very warm. I have the men's version (on left) thanks to my big feet. At the time I did not realize they had a pair insulated to -50 or I would have bought those. Had difficulty finding them because everyone was sold out.
http://www.rei.com/search?query=garmont+momentums

I love these. Bought them last winter after reading positive reviews by VFTT folks. They are surprisingly ligthweight and very warm. I have the men's version (on left) thanks to my big feet. At the time I did not realize they had a pair insulated to -50 or I would have bought those. Had difficulty finding them because everyone was sold out.
http://www.rei.com/search?query=garmont+momentums
Try them with a VBL... light sock, plastic bag (somebody mentioned using a turkey roaster bag, I just use grocery store bags [Market Basket works particularly well] but I also have real bonefide VBL's that I bought from campmor years back and I think Jason Funnybook has some sort of plastic socks) and then another (heavier?) sock on top. Then remember to put your shoe on. A neoprene bootie will go a long way also keeping your foot additionally warm and dry. I find it's still lighter and more flexible and comfortable than using a stiffer book and also, if you want to run with snowshoes, it's really the only way to go...

-Dr. Wu

Try them with a VBL... light sock, plastic bag (somebody mentioned using a turkey roaster bag, I just use grocery store bags [Market Basket works particularly well] but I also have real bonefide VBL's that I bought from campmor years back and I think Jason Funnybook has some sort of plastic socks) and then another (heavier?) sock on top. Then remember to put your shoe on. A neoprene bootie will go a long way also keeping your foot additionally warm and dry. I find it's still lighter and more flexible and comfortable than using a stiffer book and also, if you want to run with snowshoes, it's really the only way to go...
Another version is a light sock, a plastic bag, a heavy sock, a 2nd plastic bag. The heavy sock is protected from both inside and outside moisture. This should work well with shoes that aren't very waterproof.

A bit like K-boots (mouse boots)--rubber inner, felt insulation, rubber outer. Very warm although perhaps not all that comfortable...

Doug

Try them with a VBL... light sock, plastic bag (somebody mentioned using a turkey roaster bag, I just use grocery store bags [Market Basket works particularly well] but I also have real bonefide VBL's that I bought from campmor years back and I think Jason Funnybook has some sort of plastic socks)

My Mom always swore by Sunbeam Bread bags....:)

Seriously, we wore plastic bread bags in our boots when we were kids, must be an Upstate NY thing! Never thought of doing it on a winter hike but its probably a good idea to have some in the pack, just in case...:rolleyes:

My Mom always swore by Sunbeam Bread bags....:)

Seriously, we wore plastic bread bags in our boots when we were kids, must be an Upstate NY thing! Never thought of doing it on a winter hike but its probably a good idea to have some in the pack, just in case...:rolleyes:
My mother cut off panty hose down to the ankle for ... my brother and ... my sister and ... ?? ! :D

I figured that I'd throw this out there on VFTT to see if anyone has any other ideas or if anyone would like to give a new thing a try.

Yeah. Move to Coastal California so you don't have to run with those silly things strapped to your feet. :D

Oh, I kid... I kid...

Snow envy?

Not exactly, Doug. I'm a couple hours from the San Gabriels and about 4 from the Sierras. The Sierras usually get a little bit of snow.

:D