Tripods?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghassert

Reaction score
Matawan, NJ Avatar:Harriman Stae Park, NY
I've seen a lot of talk here about tripods. I know that there are advantages/dis-advantages over light weight vs. heavy duty.

I'm trying to discern the difference between a ball head and a pan head with quick release plate.

When I first purchased my digital SLR (Digital Rebel xt), I also bought a lightweight tripod with a quick release plate. I'm not very happy with it, being light weight, it is not very steady when you put even a small telephoto lens on the camera. I do like the quick release so that I can pretty much just set up the tripod and attach the camera to it quickly.

That said, when looking at numerous photography sites, it seems everything is about the tripods with ball heads, so I'm assuming that there is a distinct advantage to these types of tripods. But, they also seem a lot heavier.

So, what kind of tripods do you carry, and is there a such a thing as a good light weight tripod?

Thanks,

Glenn

After submitting this, I looked at tripods up to 5lbs. at B&H Photo and all tripods at this weight have pan heads as opposed to ball heads.

Last edited:
I have a Velbon Maxi 343E. It's a nice lightweight tripod that weighs a few pounds. It's barely able to support my SLR, but it works. I got this a few years ago so Velbon may have newer and better tripods. I know Velbon has some nice lightweight carbon fiber tripods.

I converted one of my treking poles to a mono-pod by adding a screw to the top of the handle. I removed the strap assembly from the handle and inserted a screw from the inside so it wouldn't pull through, then I re-installed the strap. It works great, I use it primarily to take group shots with the self-timer but I have also used it to steady the camera in windy and low light conditions. My Canon A80 balances pretty good on it but I’m sure a DSLR might not work as well. I can usually find a bush, tree or rock to prop it up against. It’s not perfect, but it’s always available to use.

ghassert said:
I'm trying to discern the difference between a ball head and a pan head with quick release plate.
Quick release mechanisms are also available on some ball heads. The plate or button remains attached to your camera so the camera can be quickly attached and separated from the tripod.

A ball head is much more flexible and faster in positioning/pointing the camera in the desired direction. One control allows the ball to be rotated in all three dimensions. The pan head generally has three controls to accomplish the same range of movements. Some of the inexpensive pan heads lack the ability to position the camera for vertical format.

You need to ensure that the tripod specifications indicate that it will support the weight of your camera, your heaviest lens, and whatever additional accessories you want to use. For a dSLR that will easily put you into the mid range, and for big telephoto lenses you will likely need a professional level tripod.

Whenever I intend to engage in serious photography while hiking, I lug a professional grade tripod. I also have some light weight tripods for more causal use, to which I have added a compact ball head.

ghassert said:
After submitting this, I looked at tripods up to 5lbs. at B&H Photo and all tripods at this weight have pan heads as opposed to ball heads.
The screw that connects the head and tripod is fairly standard. So you can buy a compact ball head for a light weight tripod. But check the specs or ask the salesmen to be sure they are compatible.

For my heavy weight tripod I use a Slik pistol grip head. The AF designation means Auto Fast, and they are. IMHO these are the easiest ball heads to operate. Just push the grip and the ball head is free to move. Release the grip and the ball is locked in position. No screws to loosen and tighten. Two of the Slik AF heads have quick release camera attachments. For some reason Slik does not currently offer a tripod with a quick release pistol grip head included. Although B&H does sell my Slik AF-2100 Pistol Grip Head (Quick Release) with a Kowa tripod. Other manufacturer's ball heads may be more stable, but I am so pleased with the ease of use of the pistol grip that I no longer have the patience to operate any other ball head.

Mark Schaefer said:
Quick release mechanisms are also available on some ball heads. The plate or button remains attached to your camera so the camera can be quickly attached and separated from the tripod.

A ball head is much more flexible and faster in positioning/pointing the camera in the desired direction. One control allows the ball to be rotated in all three dimensions. The pan head generally has three controls to accomplish the same range of movements. Some of the inexpensive pan heads lack the ability to position the camera for vertical format.

You need to ensure that the tripod specifications indicate that it will support the weight of your camera, your heaviest lens, and whatever additional accessories you want to use. For a dSLR that will easily put you into the mid range, and for big telephoto lenses you will likely need a professional level tripod.

Whenever I intend to engage in serious photography while hiking, I lug a professional grade tripod. I also have some light weight tripods for more causal use, to which I have added a compact ball head.

The screw that connects the head and tripod is fairly standard. So you can buy a compact ball head for a light weight tripod. But check the specs or ask the salesmen to be sure they are compatible.

For my heavy weight tripod I use a Slik pistol grip head. The AF designation means Auto Fast, and they are. IMHO these are the easiest ball heads to operate. Just push the grip and the ball head is free to move. Release the grip and the ball is locked in position. No screws to loosen and tighten. Two of the Slik AF heads have quick release camera attachments. For some reason Slik does not currently offer a tripod with a quick release pistol grip head included. Although B&H does sell my Slik AF-2100 Pistol Grip Head (Quick Release) with a Kowa tripod. Other manufacturer's ball heads may be more stable, but I am so pleased with the ease of use of the pistol grip that I no longer have the patience to operate any other ball head.

I completely agree. I use this grip release ballhead with quick release plate. It's easy to use and very fast to frame with

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2319?livid=80&lsf=80&child=2

I put this on a manfrotto tripod as well. The weight is high, but worth it for me to have sharp shots. Again though, my focus when I hike is photography, not the other way around.

My lightweight Slik tripod has a 3 way pan head (3 way means you can flip up to a vertical position, 2 way is just azimuth and elevation or left/right and up/down). If you are going to get a pan head make sure you get a 3 way so you can at least shoot vertical shots with it.

Quick release plates are pretty standard on both pan heads or ball heads. Big plus. You can go from handheld to tripod in no time flat.

My heavy weight (well, heavy for me but mid weight in the grand scheme fo tripods) manfrotto tripod has a bogen ball head on it. I highly recomend ball heads over pan heads. Lining up shots is way easier and you can use the tripod to pan and shoot moving subjects very easily.

I've been interested in the pistol grip ball heads (mine is an old one with screw control). I haven't tried one yet, but after hearing the prior praise I might have to go check them out.

Obviously choice between lightweight vs. heavyweight tripod depends on the goal for the day. If I'm backpacking or dayhiking and covering more miles I'll take the lightweight one. My heavy tripod is more for shorter mile days and springtime wildflowers. The heavy tripod is more versatile in set up and the ball head is great for lining up shots. The ball head is certainly not a rack and rail macro head, but it is a lot better than the pan head for macro shots.

- darren

It Gitzo heavy at the end of the day...

For backpacking, I use the Gitzo (now part of Bogen) 1228 , a 4 section carbon fiber tripod. It weighs about 3 1/2 pounds, stands at 52" without extension, and collapses to 21". It has an 8" column that can be replaced with a plate for ground level use.

I am using an Acratech "Ultimate" head, which weighs about 1 lb. It's a great head in many ways, but the design often forces you to loosen the base rotation screw in addition to the ball clamp to avoid "pinching". It appears they have a new head out, the V2, which has a more traditional base that should avoid the pinching problem and still weigh about a pound.

These heads have a quick release mechanism which uses the industry standard “Arca-Swiss” type plate system, essentially a machined "v" dovetail. Each piece of equipment you want to mount needs a mounting plate. There are several manufacturers of plates of all configurations, some are universal. This system (or another QR system) is essential to being able to set up your equipment quickly when the light is fleeting.

By all means get a tripod that you don't have to bend over to use - your neck will thank you, your horizons won't be so askew, and you will get better compositions.