Trish and Alex story to be published by Broadway Books

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Alex's story to be published by Broadway Books

Alex and I are pleased to announce that my memoir of our NH48 quest will be published by Broadway Books (an imprint of Crown Publishing Group). Tentative date for publication is spring 2012.

Alex asked me to write this book, and she has been involved with every single step of the submission process. I have left every final decision to her; this her book as much as it is mine. A polished draft of the manuscript is finished (we shopped it after I completed the entire thing), though I expect the editor at Broadway Books will want me to tweak and alter the draft as she sees fit.

It is our hope that this book inspires little ones to believe in themselves and act on their dreams. We hope that readers will take their kids hiking, and we hope that more mother-daughter teams get out there and enjoy all that the wilderness has to offer.

We've received a lot of support from the VFTT community over the past couple of years, and we thank you good people for that.

See you out there on the trails...calendar winter approaches. Good times are ahead.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the smile on Alex's face when the first book comes off the press!

Is the book geared toward children?
I've got a few little girls whom I'd like to give copies of the book.

Congratulations! :)

Thank you!

Sweet. You can be sure I'll be looking for it. But...I want an autographed copy.:)

Our pleasure! We look forward to seeing you and Lauky again. Hope to run into you out there soon.

That's excellent ! We're going to need a VFTT channel on cable soon !

:)

Is the book geared toward children?
I've got a few little girls whom I'd like to give copies of the book.

The book is written for a general audience. It is not a children's book, but the content should be appropriate for readers of all ages.

I recall that the only person who get a standing ovation at the last 4000'er awards dinner was Alex. Well deserved! And while I have read along at many times, I will look forward to this book, as will Laurie, who has 2 hiking grand-children. Kudos!

Tom, thank you.

Sabrina, when given the choice between a local press and signing with an agent, Alex chose the agent. The pros and cons of each were fully explained to her, and she made the decision based on reasons of her own.

Last edited:
Congrats!

Crown Publishing is part of Random House and Broadway Books has an impressive record of bestsellers including A Walk in the Woods, Tuesdays with Morrie, and Under the Tuscan Sun.

Congratulations! You are an excellent writer. The book should be a huge success. I'm sure that the completed work will be more than this, but it would be a very interesting read even if the book consisted solely of a bound copy of the terrific VFTT Trip Reports that you filed during Alex's NH48 quest.

Crown Publishing is part of Random House and Broadway Books has an impressive record of bestsellers including A Walk in the Woods
Let's hope the new book is as fascinating (and has similar sales figures)

I'm sure that you will be asked to do readings all over, the only question is will you bring Sage too?

... the only question is will you bring Sage too?

Thanks, everyone.

Roy, Sage will be involved to the extent that she wishes to be. Hugh and I have been very careful to monitor both our kids' feelings and well being during this process. I'm fairly certain all is well in both their worlds. Sage has a very relaxed personality and does NOT like a lot of attention from strangers. Alex is a lot more outgoing and wishes attention so that she can help inspire other kids to get out there and hike. Both my girls are humble, and though they think this is "neat and fun," neither has any ego or grandiose opinions about themselves.

Both the kids' well being have been and always will be my priority. I have already nixed one very prominent media opportunity for both the kids because Sage was clear that she wasn't interested in or comfortable with it. I had no problem doing that, and I'll have no problem doing that in the future if need be.

Way cool. How about you two doing a reading at Alex (the other Alex) Green's Back Pages Books on Moody Street in Waltham when your book is out?

Sure, that would be fun!

Congrats!

Crown Publishing is part of Random House and Broadway Books has an impressive record of bestsellers including A Walk in the Woods, Tuesdays with Morrie, and Under the Tuscan Sun.

Thanks, Tom. I personally feel our book is quite similar to Viesturs and Roberts K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain. :D

Congrats Again Trish and Alex!

Thanks for your constant support, DR. And thanks for having two wonderful kids! Looking forward to seeing you ladies again very soon!

Congratulations! You are an excellent writer. The book should be a huge success. I'm sure that the completed work will be more than this, but it would be a very interesting read even if the book consisted solely of a bound copy of the terrific VFTT Trip Reports that you filed during Alex's NH48 quest.

Thanks, 1HappyHiker. A good friend did that for us after we finished; she took my blog entires and bound them -- the collection sits in a prominent place in my office.

This book relates many of our trail conversations and describes the obstacles Alex faced and the way she overcame them. It discusses what we both learned -- and we both learned a lot! It relates a few instances of folks who stood there and looked at her and swore she shouldn't be on the mountain, and how Alex feels about that and about people who routinely underestimate others in general.

It's a book about a 5 year old who decided to hike mountains, and who consequently became a bit obsessed with finishing the list. It's about my helping her achieve her goals, and it lightly addresses how both Alex and I deal with the flak and negative assumptions that are routinely thrown our way from complete strangers. It touches on gender issues, and there's a chapter on Hugh's accident and what that has meant to Alex, and to our family in general. There's a lot more that I won't go into here -- this book covers almost everything that I have always intentionally left out of the blogs.

Last edited:
And we have to wait till 2012?! UUUUUUUUUgggh! Wowee, that's OK though, should be a great read. When kids and mountains collide, its gonna be a good thing, and somehow, when you have the opportunity to write stuff down, one is not fumbling for words or wondering if they expressed themselves right verbally, its limitless clarity.

Way to go and many congrats!