Trouble on the Ridge (again).

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the same logic apply to speed limits? Fire code violations?

I think this is an application of the all or nothing fallacy. Either we entirely stop something or we shouldn't try.

Risk = likelihood x impact

Risk reduction generally demands we address both.

More could be done to minimize the likelihood of such occurrences. Collectively, we might not want to live within the systems that might help minimize the frequency of these events. Or we may not want to see them funded.

But I think it's overstating it to claim that nothing can be done. Imagination, political will, & funding are needed, but there is plenty that could be done.

There are a lot of things that could be done, most unpleasant to some degree. “Dump your gear out” stations at the trailhead so a Ranger can check that you have weather-appropriate gear. A short quiz to see if you know the most basic steps to take in an emergency. Mandatory hiker insurance that can be purchased by the day at the trailhead.

Thinking about so-called "nanny state" restrictions and their application hear in the East stirred up my 83 year old memory cells:

A couple of years ago myself and two buddies drove and ferried up to Newfoundland to backpack the Long Range Traverse across the Long Range Mountains beginning with a rather lengthy boat ride up Great Western Pond. At the time they were only letting 1 group of up to 4 people onto the route a day, but then only after paying for a permit, and after passing a rather detailed map and compass qualification test and interview at the Gros Morne Park Headquarters. We were only on the trail for a little over four days, but it was well worth the permitting process. That was the way that Canada Parks kept the numbers down. They required one of us to carry a locater that they provided. It was for their use to locate us in the even we overstayed our permit, not an SOS device. That was a trip which I would love to repeat someday, but know that I never will dammit.

https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/nl/grosmorne/activ/experiences/backcountry/longrange
https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/nl/grosmorne/activ/experiences/backcountry/vid-rando-hiking
Money Shot best.jpg

Does the same logic apply to speed limits? Fire code violations?

I think this is an application of the all or nothing fallacy. Either we entirely stop something or we shouldn't try.

Risk = likelihood x impact

Risk reduction generally demands we address both.

More could be done to minimize the likelihood of such occurrences. Collectively, we might not want to live within the systems that might help minimize the frequency of these events. Or we may not want to see them funded.

But I think it's overstating it to claim that nothing can be done. Imagination, political will, & funding are needed, but there is plenty that could be done.
I see your point and I think my point was not made with great diligence. The Franconia ridge sits off a major highway and the amount of random people that pull in to hike that ridge is significant. Thats who I was referring to as to nothing being able to stop it. It's not a manned trailhead, there is nobody checking gear, handing out information, giving advice and so on. Remember Emily? She just showed up with minimal gear and there was nothing stopping her, that is the point I was trying to make. Hikers that are part of the hiking community, sure there is plenty that can be done about them, trail stewards, Fish and Game handouts, posters at the trailhead. It's the unknown that are not connected in any way that are the problem. I say this after years of seeing random people just get in trouble time and time again. Trust me, I hope something can be done to stop at least some of it, but so far, it just seems to keep happening.

We, people, not just the AMC, VFTT, thru-hikers, etc.,turned the wilderness not far from our homes into a playground. historically, when we didn't play in it, industry used it to excess with little regard. Many who lived there over 100 years ago lost businesses and homes in the fires that ensued. It's better because people care and people are more environmentally conscious. We're kind of nitpicking if we think the AMC's version of stewardship is more coddling and snobbish than a few thru-hikers who think the only real way should be tents or tarps and hammocks and sawed-off toothbrushes. Initially the only people in the Whites were loggers and the wealthy who could afford a train ride and a week's worth of vacation while the factory workers barely got by working six days a week. (The AT wasn't thought of a do it all in one attempt but as a place to escape the cities for a break, competitive people who loved it decided to do that or those with literally nothing else to do and the means to earn no money for 4-6 months did that.)

It appears but for cuts and bruises and some lost blood, they were all fine. The Croo's do great work. Could the club do a little bit better with their public image? Sure, but we all probably could use a little help with that. (what's the public image of VFTT members? A bunch of old know-it-alls? Sure, but then again, we do!:D:D:eek:)

I see your point and I think my point was not made with great diligence. The Franconia ridge sits off a major highway and the amount of random people that pull in to hike that ridge is significant. Thats who I was referring to as to nothing being able to stop it. It's not a manned trailhead, there is nobody checking gear, handing out information, giving advice and so on. Remember Emily? She just showed up with minimal gear and there was nothing stopping her, that is the point I was trying to make. Hikers that are part of the hiking community, sure there is plenty that can be done about them, trail stewards, Fish and Game handouts, posters at the trailhead. It's the unknown that are not connected in any way that are the problem. I say this after years of seeing random people just get in trouble time and time again. Trust me, I hope something can be done to stop at least some of it, but so far, it just seems to keep happening.
When I was there on 5/21, it was manned. I don't think they have any authority like they do at BSP to keep you from going though.

We, people, not just the AMC, VFTT, thru-hikers, etc.,turned the wilderness not far from our homes into a playground. historically, when we didn't play in it, industry used it to excess with little regard. Many who lived there over 100 years ago lost businesses and homes in the fires that ensued. It's better because people care and people are more environmentally conscious. We're kind of nitpicking if we think the AMC's version of stewardship is more coddling and snobbish than a few thru-hikers who think the only real way should be tents or tarps and hammocks and sawed-off toothbrushes. Initially the only people in the Whites were loggers and the wealthy who could afford a train ride and a week's worth of vacation while the factory workers barely got by working six days a week. (The AT wasn't thought of a do it all in one attempt but as a place to escape the cities for a break, competitive people who loved it decided to do that or those with literally nothing else to do and the means to earn no money for 4-6 months did that.)

It appears but for cuts and bruises and some lost blood, they were all fine. The Croo's do great work. Could the club do a little bit better with their public image? Sure, but we all probably could use a little help with that. (what's the public image of VFTT members? A bunch of old know-it-alls? Sure, but then again, we do!:D:D:eek:)
This only reinforces my earlier comment that The AMC is stuck in time and has not adapted their game plan on many levels when it comes to dealing with the public. Again they operate on public land and line their pockets with their public money to further their agenda. The creation of "StickMan" which was created without even membership input was widely poorly received which in turn symbolizes that ignorance. No they don't just get a free pass.

When I was there on 5/21, it was manned. I don't think they have any authority like they do at BSP to keep you from going though.
I believe they man it on weekends, how often I really do not know. They are there to educate and they cannot stop anyone from hiking, that I do know. In regards to you other comment, fires? not sure what fires you are referring to, the only fires that I know of burned logging areas, not homes, but I could be wrong there. AS far as the AMC's image, I'm not really nitpicking, it's just my opinion. I know they have some positive attributes as well, I just don't care for their overall mission or philosophy. I do not see them as inclusive by any stretch, but I really am done with my negative AMC comments on this site, to many here don't' really want to hear it, they are diehard AMC people and that's that. It's not like I want to picket them or anything on that level, I just don't care to join them. I have friends that belong, hey whatever makes you happy.

I believe they man it on weekends, how often I really do not know. They are there to educate and they cannot stop anyone from hiking, that I do know. In regards to you other comment, fires? not sure what fires you are referring to, the only fires that I know of burned logging areas, not homes, but I could be wrong there. AS far as the AMC's image, I'm not really nitpicking, it's just my opinion. I know they have some positive attributes as well, I just don't care for their overall mission or philosophy. I do not see them as inclusive by any stretch, but I really am done with my negative AMC comments on this site, to many here don't' really want to hear it, they are diehard AMC people and that's that. It's not like I want to picket them or anything on that level, I just don't care to join them. I have friends that belong, hey whatever makes you happy.
Almost every resort burned when they were out of control. 1907 Lincoln: https://www.scenicnh.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Lincoln_NH_May_1907_Fire.jpg?x97214 This article show 85,000 burned and entire communities were theatened, it doesn't mention if any property in actuality was damaged. White Mountain Forest Fires and the Creation of a - The History List

Last edited:
Almost every resort burned when they were out of control. 1907 Lincoln: https://www.scenicnh.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Lincoln_NH_May_1907_Fire.jpg?x97214 This article show 85,000 burned and entire communities were theatened, it doesn't mention if any property in actuality was damaged. White Mountain Forest Fires and the Creation of a - The History List
The logging practices were anything but environmentally sound. John Henry cared about one thing, cutting down trees for profit. I read Francis Belchers "Logging railroads of the Whites Mountains", still own it actually, quite an authority on those days.

Reactions: TEO
Attention - possible thread drift!

One exception was Livermore, founded by the Saunders Brothers, who were WAY ahead of their time. They actually did selective cutting. Daniel was mayor of Lawrence back in the day. Being a Lawrence hiker you know I just had to bring THAT up!:)

Attention - possible thread drift!

One exception was Livermore, founded by the Saunders Brothers, who were WAY ahead of their time. They actually did selective cutting. Daniel was mayor of Lawrence back in the day. Being a Lawrence hiker you know I just had to bring THAT up!:)
Even more thread drift. Josh Saunders was my platoon leader in the MeARNG. He was quite the character.