True summit of Bearpen (Catskills)?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtq

Reaction score
This past weekend myself and two friends climbed Bearpen mountain. It was a great hike. We started from the south on Johnson Hollow Road, climbed the col and turned roughly northwest at the hunter's cabin, followed the old road for a bit, then climbed the fall line up to the ridge. From there we followed the ridge to some beautiful view points of the Schoharie reservoir, and then we walked on toward the north to the old ski slopes. I thought this was the summit.

However, one of my buds was reading a description in a book (not sure which) and he now believes we did not make the actual summit. We had no GPS to record our exact position, but for me, I'm claiming a summit victory. But still, curious minds want to know, where is the "true" summit of Bearpen?

While standing at the top of the ski slopes, is that pretty much the high point? Thanks for any and all info.

Kurt

Last edited:
One interesting point is that the summit of Bearpen is marked on the 7.5' Prattsville USGS quad as being on a lesser spur of Bearpen at an elevation of 3520', while simple counting of contour lines show the actual summit to be 3600', southeast of this point. These peaks are the only 3500 Club Peaks not shown on the Trail Conference Maps, being outside the original blue line.

As to the actual high point, visual observation will show that the viewpoints at the top of the ski slopes are not the highest point on that mountain. I have wandered around in the woods above there, both for myself and for other purists, trying to ensure that we did actually stand on the highest point of the mountain, there is no single point that anyone would agree is highest, but most agree that the high point has to be above these viewpoints in the flat, wooded, summit area. How much this matters in terms of claiming to have bagged the peak is open to debate.

Another point that becomes obvious in winter, and is suggested by examining the topographic map, is that the canister on Vly, while very near the benchmark at 3529', is not on the highest point either. Another canister that is definitely not on the high point is Lone, and you could probably find people who would dispute whether several other canisters are on the high points. This does not matter to the 3500 Club, but it could be a topic of dispute for those for whom these peaks are on other lists.

I would say that you got the 3600' summit (though as John states purists may disagree). The viewpoint is likely no more than a few inches (maybe a couple feet) lower than the very elusive high point somewhere in the brambly and gnarly trees on the flat summit.

In a Bearpen route description from Ski Run Road the ADK guidebook, 3rd edition (2005), page 246, discusses reaching the second north-facing viewpoint on the "summit path". This is the top of a wide ATV track and one of the former ski trails. There is a good view of the Schoharie Reservoir. This would have been the first wide open viewpoint coming from the Vly / Bearpen col. From that viewpoint the book then states:
(The true summit requires following a bearing approximately 145 degrees. The route enters open deciduous woods with many ferns covering its floor. It is difficult to discern the nearly level, viewless summit).​

I have climbed Bearpen several dozen times, and have ventured into those "open" woods several times, especially if I feel inclined to donate some blood on the brambles. I did this last September with the ADK guidebook and compass in hand. Yes, I probably reached some areas that were liklely a bit higher than the viewpoint. But not enough to say you missed the summit IMHO.

But if you are inclined to go back to search; winter is a good time to minimize the brambles. The summit is also very attractive in early summer when the ferns unfold amongst the gnarly trees. Later there are prolific supplies of blackberries from mid August to the first killing frost (late October in recent years). Berry season is probably the optimal time to listen to the song birds and to spot one of the many shy bears. I would recommend mid week to avoid the ATVs which limit wildlife sightings. And there are nice views in all seasons. For all of these reasons Bearpen one of my favorite mountains.

Regarding the labeled 3520' Bearpen on the USGS map that John mentioned. That sub-summit is the Delaware County high point. The county line is also the marked state land boundary - which can be used as an aid in reaching that high point from the old road which follows the ridge from Ski Run Road. The last time I visited the county high point the yellow paint blazes did not go all the way to the 3520' summit, but they get you headed in the correct direction.

Last edited:
Really Mark, only a couple of inches? Looking at the topo it is more like 10 to 20 feet. It may be silly nitpicking, but if you can go up from where you are, you are not at the top, even if it is nasty brush. I'm going there on Sunday with some aspirants, and I may have a bit of fun with them by pointing this out. Hopefully, they won't hear me chuckling down below.

Well, a couple of things. I have never seen a good mapping of where the two north facing viewpoints are on the topo map. I do not have a GPS nor an altimeter. So I don't know how far above the 3580' elevation the summit ridge and those two viewpoints may be, or if the eastern-most viewpoint is within the 3600' contour. I also have a habit of underestimating rises, especially when they are subtle over some distance.

The first time I climbed Bearpen I climbed it with Vly, and I was fairly confident I found the summit coming from the col. Most of the time now I climb Bearpen with Roundtop via Ski Run Road, and I am usually no longer that concerned with finding the summit. It is quite possible I have not been going far enough beyond the viewpoint. I would be interested in seeing a GPS track if someone has one showing the viewpoint locations or ATV tracks. There is also a third northwest viewpoint. Coming from Ski Run Road, it is at the western end of the 3580' contour. This is at the top of a steep rise on a more lightly used ATV track not far after the muddy pond.

This is a good reason to poke around some more the next time I am up on Bearpen. How far from the eastern-most viewpoint do you estimate the top to be, John?

I have only come up the ski run road a couple of times, as it is a longer drive for me, though admitedly nicer. The perspective from that direction is different.

I have GPSd it , and I use a mapping GPS, so I can refer to it on the mountain, though the GPS map lacks the kind of detail of the topo, so I carry both. The two northern viewpoints sits on the northern spur of the elongated 3580' contour line. The east facing viewpoint is due north of the summit, in between the 3580' contour and the 3560' contour. It is about 100 meters from the summit. This is where the old remnants of the tow line machinery were once visible. No one I have hiked with considers this the top, we always go on to the other viewpoints, which are better and about ten feet higher. It is easier to reach the summit from this viewpoint, however, there are more trees and less brambles.

Thank you all for your thoughts. As Mark pointed out, without a map which indicates the viewpoints or ski slopes and without a GPS, it was unclear to me where we actually stood in relation to the true summit.

I agree that the flat summit area nearby the ski trails is likely the high point. In fact, in the excitement of reaching the peak and in having such a beautiful day, we did stomp through the mess of brambles and scrubby trees a bit, in search of a cannister. Doh! After a few minutes we remembered there is no cannister on Bearpen. (got confused between Vly and Bearpen and which has the cannister and which does not)

BTW, while amongst the scrub on the flat summit I almost had a heart attack when I just about stepped on a bird (ruffed grouse?) as it burst up and flew away in front of me. It was buried under the snow, with no tracks or sign around. Strange thought I. Could it be that it was hunkered down for the night and then got covered by that night's snowfall? We saw two more that day like this, bursting out of the snow, but not nearly as close.

Kurt

Kurt, sounds like a ruffed grouse. I think they tunnel into the snow pack, but I am no expert on their behavior. If it was early in the morning perhaps they were hunkered down from the prior night.

John Graham said:
The two northern viewpoints sits on the northern spur of the elongated 3580' contour line. The east facing viewpoint is due north of the summit, in between the 3580' contour and the 3560' contour. It is about 100 meters from the summit. This is where the old remnants of the tow line machinery were once visible. No one I have hiked with considers this the top, we always go on to the other viewpoints, which are better and about ten feet higher. It is easier to reach the summit from this viewpoint, however, there are more trees and less brambles.
Thanks John. I believe I know what you mean by the east facing viewpoint. I agree that it is lower than the two north facing views, and just a short distance from the easternmost of the two north views. Unless you are describing some other east facing viewpoint. It has been quite some time since I have come up from the Vly / Bearpen col. I do remember that the summit approach is more open from that direction. And the gnarled trees are probably more attractive on east side. In the mid 1990s the last private owner of the Bearpen summit clear cut several acres of first growth forest on the western 3580' ridge for a windmill farm that was never built.

I am well overdue for a hike via the east side route. However, I have already decided my next approach next spring will be via the gated logging road (and ATV route) from Heisinger Road, which I have not done yet. From what I have heard from ATVers, this is the most direct route up to the easternmost of the two northern viewpoints. It is also reportedly all on state forest land which appears confirmed by zooming in on the DEC recreational maps. I will also poke around the east side to determine if I have been reaching the summit since by conversion to the Ski Run approach. I should still have time to head over to Roundtop and complete a loop going down Ski Run Road, with a short road walk back to Heisinger Road.