trundle recommendations for kayak? Photo mount options?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nartreb

Reaction score
Hi,

Newbie question: I've got access to a big pond. It's a short walk (under five minutes to a good put-in spot) from my garage, along a trail that's wide and mostly smooth.

My boat is a two-man kayak; it's big and heavy. If I want to go to the pond by myself, I need some kind of trundle. Ideally it'd clamp on instantly and securely, and come off just as easily. I'd like if it were small enough to stow inside the kayak, but it also has to have wheels that are tall enough to handle a few bumps. I'd be willing to stash it in the woods on the shore, especially if it's not too expensive.

Anybody have a system like this that they like?

Separate question: I'm thinking about some sort of tripod-like system for using camera with a long telephoto lens while paddling. Anybody tried this?

Amazon.com has 47 results for "kayak dolly" with reviews. I've only talked to two people who have used them and they both agreed that unless the trail was smooth and level for a half mile or more, they were not worth the aggravation.

As for a camera set-up, I have a water resistant Olympus "Tough" P&S that fits in the front pocket of my Stohlquist PFD. I like the camera and the almost instant access provided by that front pocket. It can get pretty wet, pretty fast in a kayak so I would recommend a waterproof bag or box for the camera. Another consideration is the stability of the boat. I have a Necky Elahu that is pretty tippy and I cannot take very good pictures from it, as I have to concentrate on keeping the boat upright. However, I also have a homebuilt Guillemot L that is quite stable, hence I can spare the extra neurons to compose a much nicer shot. Image stabilization is a big help.

My Stohlquist PFD has three sturnum pockets: one in front of the other that I use for my camera and GPS. I feel that is better for me than a deck mount camera/GPS set-up. In a dry bag bungee strapped to the deck, I have lunch, water, cell phone, wallet, and first aid stuff.

Before you buy a dolly, I suggest you see it mounted on a kayak of similar dimensions. There are many brands of dollies, some with several models, sizes and wheel types. A few will collapse into a size suitable for stowing but not all will. If your trail is soft, having wider wheels will help some, but it might still be difficult on sandy or marshy ground.

If you're willing to make the drive, you could get this and other questions answered at the upcoming New England Paddlesports Show presented by Kittery Trading Post on April 19-21.

I'm guessing you're out to take bird photos. You might find this useful: Photo Tip: Bird Photography Kayak by Gary Luhm.

Last edited:
I have a 21' 80 lb. tandem. I bought a dolly which folds and stores on deck. I prefer to keep items which I seek to keep dry below deck. It has proven useful on trips which require portage, even over rough terrain. My choice of dolly was based on its reasonable fit to the boat (which will effect its usefulness) and on it compact fold (which helps keep the boat's center of gravity and profile low). Perfect mobility over various surfaces was not a major consideration, though all things being equal the bigger tires are better, because I could not envision a portage of this boat without a second person.

Sardog, thanks for the photo link. Mostly confirms my suspicions: you don't need much dedicated gear as long as you're careful to keep the camera from getting wet. The fact that he's able to get sharp shots at 700mm is very comforting, I intend to get closer than that. My problem is that my kayak is totally open, so I do need to rig some kind of platform on which to rest a cushion. I'm also thinking of getting a canoe paddle to reduce dripping while chasing birds.

As for a trundle, balloon tires are not needed. The trail in question is well-packed, with a few small rocks, drainpipes, etc. This looks about right: http://www.paddlecart.com/paddlecart.html Of course I'm tempted by the lower-cost option: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/48787?productId=848705&subrnd=0&qs=3016887_pmd_google_pla

P.S. the boat is an Old Town Loon 138T, the tandem version of the 138. It's 13'8" long, weighs about 70 pounds, and about 30" wide.
Here's what I mean about the open cockpit:
http://www.riverjack.com/images/store/loon138T_comp.jpg

Last edited:
Have you considered one of the small tripods and keep your camera attached to it? You could keep it in a water-tight bag until you are where you want to sit an shoot. Knowing that no set-up is going to be perfect, I think flexibility and adjustability are important as the photographic skills you are going to perfect.

The PaddleCart has arrived. It is sturdy, a little on the heavy side, but easy and quick to assemble. Getting the boat on it the first time took a minute or two - the two-wheeled cart isn't stable until the boat is firmly seated. But it straps on easily and apparenlty securely.

Tomorrow looks like a good day to try it out. I think I will leave the camera behind for this first "dry run" just in case I don't stay dry.

Paradox and erugs, my camera weighs about five pounds with the lens I'll be using. I need to build a sturdy cross-bar to rest/mount it on. A tripod-like mount point is tempting because I could let go without dropping the camera into the water, but I'm not sure it'll give me enough freedom to swing the lens as needed. Ideally I'll have a padded resting point for shooting, plus some sort of quick-lock system for putting the camera down while paddling, plus some way of quickly waterproofing the camera while it's on the quick-lock.

So, the Paddlecart handled the trail pretty well. It's vulnerable to capsizing on side-hills, so you have to watch it on the bigger bumps. The axle could be a couple inches longer and/or the frame could be a couple inches lower. My ideal design would also have fewer small pieces to keep track of when stowing and assembling it. Reassembly took about five minutes, second time ever. Beats the heck out of trying to carry the boat in my arms.

While paddling I experienced only minor splashing - I'm sure I could avoid damage to my camera with a bit of care. But between my paddling and some small waves, the boat accumulated a quarter inch or so of bilgewater. I definitely need a setup that keeps the camera off the floor while I paddle. I don't think the Jacketcam will work with my big lens - leaves no room for my hands when I'm paddling.