TSL snowshoes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
I was considering getting a pair of these snowshoes. Does anyone have any experience & opinions of them? Thanks.

Yup, I have an older pair of TSLs and love love love them!

- Easy and quick bindings -- set things to your boot size and forget it
- Lightweight
- Flexible for a more natural stride
- User replaceable parts
- Awesome, aggressive traction

They are on the pricey side depending on which model you go with, but worth every penny, IMO.

These are the updated version of the ones I have:

https://us-store.tsloutdoorna.com/product/symbioz-access/

Last edited:
I got them for my boys (ages 11 and 13), same ones linked by Ken MacGray above, so far so good. We have not put them through the ringer, so I can't comment on durability. Also, I have not used them personally. But I'd get them if I were in the market. I may get them anyway, even though my MSRs are still working fine. I've become pretty irritated with the MSR straps/bindings, especially when it's cold. Getting them on/off efficiently is such a huge part of the game, and there is definitely room for improvement, to say the least, with my MSRs. I'm not sure the Boa dials are going to hold up, but I bring zip ties and a couple meters of wire on all my winter trips as a repair kit, and I believe those would provide a fine temporary fix if the Boas broke. The TSL snowshoes are SUPER EASY to put on and take off. And they fit extremely comfortably since they eliminate pressure points across to top of the foot (the MSR straps tend to cut off circulation in soft boots and make your toes cold). And the flex of the TSL shoes seems to allow a much more natural stride. I'm a fan, so far. They're probably not for deep powder, but then the MSRs aren't either.

Someone I hiked with had a pair that had a design flaw in a rear strap. they sent her a newly designed part that seemed to solve the issue. As commented, they are not powder shoes

I bought a pair of these last season and so far so good. As mentioned already the ease of binding use and excellent traction are major positives. On another board there was one reported failure of the plate that is used for adjusting the length of the shoe. It was said that it snapped at the forward end and it was a tricky repair. Albeit the user admitted they were a big person which could have contributed to the failure. My personal impression is as effective of a snowshoe it is they are like a lot of shoes these days very busy. That meaning field repair could be tricky. I still have four pairs of Sherpas.

Last edited:
. . . but I bring zip ties and a couple meters of wire on all my winter trips as a repair kit...
A caution and slight digression from the TSL question. A friend and I were deep in the Canadian backcountry in the dead of winter, going after Boundary. Temps were in the low teens. I was in my trusty Evo's, he was with his "trusty" Sherpas. The sherpas broke. The Evo's didn't. I confidently dug out a couple of zip ties and accomplished exactly the repair I thought was needed, and basked in my friend's expressions of gratitude...until 5 minutes later when the repair failed. Reinspecting my work, the zip tie had snapped. I tried again, and this time the new zip tie snapped before I had even finished cinching it. Long story short, the problem was simply that the zip ties turned severely brittle in the cold temps. Who knew?? Caveat emptor/backcountry hiker, and thank you Leatherman and baling wire!

Last edited:
Ken, do the straps on the front part of the foot hold snuggly during your hike or do they slip occasionally?

Ken, do the straps on the front part of the foot hold snuggly during your hike or do they slip occasionally?

I haven't had any issues with slippage anywhere. For the bindings, I recommend ratcheting them down snugly instead of really tight after stepping into them.

Full disclosure: Shortly after I bought these, a clip broke on the front of the shoe. TSL informed me that this was a manufacturing defect (something about the strength of the material) and sent me a replacement clip (made from a new manufacturing process) that was easily changed, and I've had no issues since.

Ken , I read your post today on NETC. What happened to the strap on your snowshoe ?��*♂️

Ken , I read your post today on NETC. What happened to the strap on your snowshoe ?��*♂️
I suspect worn parts after eight years of heavy use. No actual breakage, but the boot sizing dingus kept slipping out of the front of the binding on one of my 'shoes. The clips that hold it in place are not doing so tightly. This was only an issue while ascending steep terrain and it was fine on the way down. My other 'shoe doesn't have this issue. I'm going to contact TSL customer support to inquire about it.

I suspect worn parts after eight years of heavy use. No actual breakage, but the boot sizing dingus kept slipping out of the front of the binding on one of my 'shoes. The clips that hold it in place are not doing so tightly. This was only an issue while ascending steep terrain and it was fine on the way down. My other 'shoe doesn't have this issue. I'm going to contact TSL customer support to inquire about it.

Thanks,Ken.

I was considering getting a pair of these snowshoes. Does anyone have any experience & opinions of them? Thanks.

I recently bought a pair that have the boa binding. I've used them three times on local trails, but only carried them on Tecumseh this weekend. So far, I like them.

Update: I've been in touch with TSL customer service, and after some examination of photos and video that I sent them, they are sending me replacement bindings free of charge. Due to the age of my snowshoes, the new bindings may be a different style, but no matter. Kudos to TSL for the stellar customer service once again!

I bought the” hyperflex originals”with the boa bindings and tried them out after this past snowstorm. They are very comfortable and are easy on and off. I like them.

I got them for my boys (ages 11 and 13), same ones linked by Ken MacGray above, so far so good. We have not put them through the ringer, so I can't comment on durability. Also, I have not used them personally. But I'd get them if I were in the market. I may get them anyway, even though my MSRs are still working fine. I've become pretty irritated with the MSR straps/bindings, especially when it's cold. Getting them on/off efficiently is such a huge part of the game, and there is definitely room for improvement, to say the least, with my MSRs. I'm not sure the Boa dials are going to hold up, but I bring zip ties and a couple meters of wire on all my winter trips as a repair kit, and I believe those would provide a fine temporary fix if the Boas broke. The TSL snowshoes are SUPER EASY to put on and take off. And they fit extremely comfortably since they eliminate pressure points across to top of the foot (the MSR straps tend to cut off circulation in soft boots and make your toes cold). And the flex of the TSL shoes seems to allow a much more natural stride. I'm a fan, so far. They're probably not for deep powder, but then the MSRs aren't either.

I bought a new pair of La Sportiva Nepal EVO's, and I own MSR EVO Ascents. They don't play together well, sadly. If I have the boot where I think it should be, the heel catches the televator. If I move then forward, the toe catches the front of the snowshoe. It's quite frustrating. The big teeth on the snowshoes are just metal that has been bent 90 degrees. Two have snapped off, and the other two bent.

A hiking buddy just purchased TSLs. They're lighter and smaller, and while I was skeptical of the bindings, they did seem to go on quite easily and remain snug. The tapered rears seem to make stepping easier and more natural as well.

For a while, I thought MSRs were the best for New England conditions, and they probably were, but I feel like other brands have evolved faster. Also, I am told TSL has quite good customer service, something no one would ever claim about MSR.

BtH,

What snapped the crampon teeth? How old are you shoes?

I've had MSR's forever and have never broken anything but straps when they aged out.

For TSL customer service, I just recently bought my dear old mum a set of the step-in shoes and accompanying boots. Within minutes of my order I got an email from TSL asking if it was ok to swap in a pair of the white shoes since the red ones I had ordered were out of stock.

She loves the set up for tromping on the rail trails.

Cheers