TSL snowshoes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a new pair of La Sportiva Nepal EVO's, and I own MSR EVO Ascents. They don't play together well, sadly. If I have the boot where I think it should be, the heel catches the televator. If I move then forward, the toe catches the front of the snowshoe. It's quite frustrating. The big teeth on the snowshoes are just metal that has been bent 90 degrees. Two have snapped off, and the other two bent.

A hiking buddy just purchased TSLs. They're lighter and smaller, and while I was skeptical of the bindings, they did seem to go on quite easily and remain snug. The tapered rears seem to make stepping easier and more natural as well.

For a while, I thought MSRs were the best for New England conditions, and they probably were, but I feel like other brands have evolved faster. Also, I am told TSL has quite good customer service, something no one would ever claim about MSR.

The Paragon addressed your stated problems. Takes the "where I think it should be" out of the equation and the crampons were improved over the PosiLocks.

The Paragon addressed your stated problems. Takes the "where I think it should be" out of the equation and the crampons were improved over the PosiLocks.

Maybe yes, maybe no. The problem will only go away if the dimensions of the snowshoe are different. If the toe is still in the same place, the heel will still catch.

But I do like the new binding design!

Check out the thread in the backcountry section on MSR Lightning Ascents for a whole bunch of people whose experiences were different than yours.

I am not disputing their claims. It does not invalidate my good experience. I am presenting a claim counter to your assertion: good customer service, something no one would ever claim about MSR. The attitude one presents when dealing with customer service people often shapes the response and treatment you will receive.

Tim

I am not disputing their claims. It does not invalidate my good experience. I am presenting a claim counter to your assertion: good customer service, something no one would ever claim about MSR. The attitude one presents when dealing with customer service people often shapes the response and treatment you will receive.

Tim

As I have stated in other threads never had a problem with MSR Customer Service. Also received excellent support when involved with selling their gear. The Ascents had some issues more so than most of their products and therefore they had their hands full alleviating those issues. IMO it was more of an anomaly rather than a norm as far as the integrity of their brand name and products. IMO much of that situation permeated into a more generalized response across the brand name. All companies have hiccups. I personally stand behind the company. Although everyone has their allegiances when it comes to gear. I agree with Tim. Having a good attitude while on the phone goes a long way.

Ironically, I hiked with a girl using TSL snowshoes Saturday. She could not get the strap around her ankle to work and after trying for awhile I gave up as well. She suffered through the day in Microspikes and I hummed along in my Tubbs.:eek: