Tunnel Brook Trail and Cliffs of Clough (30-Jun-2010)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Within about a 2 week period, I've posted separate hikes to: Madison Gulf area; Mt. Guyot; North & South Twin. In between those posted hikes, I've done a number of other local & miscellaneous hikes, including the one I did yesterday (30-June). Although this place was brand new to me, I'm certain that there are many folks on this Forum who have done it. I'm talking about the Tunnel Brook Trail.

The trail runs through the deep valley between Mt. Moosilauke and Mt. Clough. And speaking of Mt. Clough, I don't know why it amazed me, but nonetheless I was surprised when I first learned that the pronunciation of this mountain rhymes with words like "rough" or "enough". Anyway, it was also a bit surprising to read in Steve Smith's book (Ponds & Lakes of the White Mountains) that up until the 1920s there was an automobile route through this notch which served to connect the Benton/Easton area with the Glencliff/Warren area. With all the ponds and bogs that are now present here, you'd expect that the road was closed due to flooding from beaver activity. But apparently, landslides were the reason that this roadway was closed and never reopened.

I did this hike on a whim and on a day when I had only a few hours available to hike. I started my trek at the northern end of the trail. If you've ever hiked the Tunnel Brook Trail and/or looked at a trail map, then you know that your trek takes you along the shoreline of the chain of beaver ponds in this valley. If you were to follow the trail all the way to its southern end, you'd find yourself in the Glencliff area in close proximity to the trailhead for the Blueberry Mountain Trail, and within a few tenths of a mile from the Glencliff Trail to Moosilauke.

Since my time was limited, I certainly didn't hike all the way to Glencliff (and back!), nor did I even have time to visit all the ponds. However, I did see enough to know that I'll definitely be making a return visit to hike at least as far as Mud Pond which is the last pond in the chain. But, regarding the ponds that I did have time to visit, below is a collage of snapshots taken from various points along the way.

TunnelBrkTrail.jpg

En route to the ponds, I took a short side trip to scamper up to a gravelly area just a short distance off the east side of the trail. From there, I was able to get a look at a small portion of the massive hulk of Mt. Clough (photo below).

P1050895a.JPG

While looking at the landslide areas on the side of this mountain, I wondered how difficult it would be to get up on them to get a bird's eye view down to the ponds. Well, later in the hike I seized an opportunity to attempt a quick scramble up to one of those slide areas.
I saw a faint foot path over a beaver dam which led to the base of a slide on Mt. Clough. I was utterly shocked and amazed at how easy it was to get up onto the cliffy/ledgy areas of the slide! I'm not exaggerating. Within 15 minutes from the time I left Tunnel Brook Trail, I was far enough up on the slide to get the views in the 3 snapshots shown below.

A few of the ponds in the chain
P1050948.JPG

Looking northward from the slide
P1050951.JPG

Another northward view with peaks in the Pilot Range on the distant horizon
P1050947.JPG

Although it was quite quick & easy to scamper a short distance up this slide on this particular day, I'm certain that it would be foolhardy to attempt this under wet and/or icy conditions. I think you'll see what I mean when you take a look at the photo below which was taken while climbing this rock-face!

P1050958.JPG

Besides being impressed with the picturesque ponds, and the view from the slide on Mt. Clough, I also enjoyed simply hiking on the Tunnel Brook Trail itself. The surrounding forest is very attractive, and the one stretch of trail that parallels Tunnel Brook is simply beautiful. Also, it was sort of cool to see the huge cairns that are located along one short segment of the trail. Some are nearly as big as the cairns found above tree-line on the Presidential Range. Below is a collage of some photos related to just the trail itself.

VFTT1.jpg

Probably I should also mention that there were quite a few wildflowers in bloom, particularly around the pond areas. There were the usual cast of characters for this time of year, but the one I particularly liked was the one shown below which I think is St. John's wort (please correct me if I'm wrong!).

P1050923.JPG

Here's just one last side-note before ending this report. I've been to the summit of Mt. Clough by whacking off Long Pond Road. I'm just curious as to whether bushwhacking to Clough from the Tunnel Brook Trail is another route that's sometimes used??

Okay . . . enough already about this hike!! As I said near the beginning of this report, my time was limited on this particular day. However, I saw enough to convince me to make a return visit to completely explore all the ponds, and to scramble up some of the other slides on Mt. Clough.

If anyone has photos from their hikes into this area, please feel free to post them when replying to this thread. I'd love to see them!

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
It's funny you posted this today, because it was 2 years ago to the day I took a trip up Glencliff, down Benton, then returned by Tunnel Brook to my car. It was a fun 13ish mile day. And as you said Tunnel Brook Tr. is quite lovely, and was a perfect way to end a long day for me. And there sure are a couple/few big ol' cairns in there, peculiar in the sense that they're nowhere near treeline.

Just a few pics to add...these, I think were taken further towards Glencliff than you traveled. I enjoyed your photos, nice ones lookin' down from the slides.

Mud Pond, maybe? I can't remember. Maybe just a big beaver pond.

Moosilauke's South Peak and Slide Brook Ravine

This was posted at the Glencliff Home for the Eldery's trout pond. :)

Last edited:
I just got back from a quick afternoon trip up Blueberry mountain today. Slide Brook ravine looked very interesting from there, and I was wondering earlier about how easy it would be to explore it from the Tunnel Brook trail...

Really nice photos, and great reflections! Those slides on Clough look inviting. Are there any views to be had from the summit of that mountain? It almost seems like the view from the slides is plenty good enough! :)

It's funny you posted this today, because it was 2 years ago to the day I took a trip up Glencliff, down Benton, then returned by Tunnel Brook to my car. It was a fun 13ish mile day. And as you said Tunnel Brook Tr. is quite lovely, and was a perfect way to end a long day for me. And there sure are a couple/few big ol' cairns in there, peculiar in the sense that they're nowhere near treeline.

Just a few pics to add...these, I think were taken further towards Glencliff than you traveled. I enjoyed your photos, nice ones lookin' down from the slides.
Todd . . . hey, many thanks for posting those photos from your loop hike up the Glencliff Trail, down the Benton, and then returning to your car via the Tunnel Brook Trail. Very nice photos, and fantastic loop!:cool: It's a loop I've thought about doing, but never done (which counts for nothing!).
------------------
Speaking of photos from other folks who've hiked the Tunnel Brook Trail, below is a snapshot sent to me from a non VFTT member who read this thread. This was taken from the southern end of Mud Pond. The photographer was inspired to capture this particular scene by a similar photo taken by Steve Smith who posted it on his blog about a year ago when he did a trek in the Tunnel Brook notch area (click HERE for the link to that blog report).

Photo taken from south end of Mud Pond by a non-VFTT friend
Tunnel%20Bk%20Notch_Jones.JPG

. . . Those slides on Clough look inviting. Are there any views to be had from the summit of that mountain? It almost seems like the view from the slides is plenty good enough! :)
Chris, regarding your question about views from the summit of Mt. Clough, I've only been there once. It was on an overcast day in late October 2006. Even if there were views, there was nothing to be seen! However, from looking at my 4-year old photo below, I think the summit is sort of in the middle of the woods . . . and with no view!:D

P1010100.JPG

Last edited:
Great report John! I visited this area with fellow VFtT'er Mattl about two years ago, except we came from the other direction. I thought I'd share a couple pics as well, one of Matt up on the Clough slides.

Can you see him? He is in red!
920534776_zQ3TC-L.jpg

he is also in this pic, if you look real closely...it gives an even better scale of how teeny tiny we all are
920535289_mstx4-L.jpg

It is hard to believe that a road used to roll thru this ravine. Nice to see nature reclaiming things!

grouseking

Great report John! I visited this area with fellow VFtT'er Mattl about two years ago, except we came from the other direction. I thought I'd share a couple pics as well, one of Matt up on the Clough slides.
Thanks Phil for sharing those terrific photos from the trip you & Mattl took into Tunnel Brook.

There are a lot of slides on Clough, but from looking at your photos, I think you were on the same slide that I was on!

Also, I have a photo (SEE BELOW) of the slide that I climbed which I took while standing on the old beaver dam. It's similar to your second photo. So, I'd guess that maybe that's about where you were standing when you took the photos of Mattl up on the slide??
P1050961.JPG

However, from looking at my 4-year old photo below, I think the summit is sort of in the middle of the woods . . . and with no view!:D

Once I got above the slide to reach the summit I found it to be quite flat and we had to deal with lots of blowdowns as seen from your pic. Thanks for reminding me :)

Tunnel Brook Trail...

I hiked TDawg's route in the opposite direction back in May. The ponds on Tunnel Brook are beautiful! Fiddleheads and various flowers were in bloom on this trail...definitely heading back there!

Thanks Phil for sharing those terrific photos from the trip you & Mattl took into Tunnel Brook.

There are a lot of slides on Clough, but from looking at your photos, I think you were on the same slide that I was on!

Also, I have a photo (SEE BELOW) of the slide that I climbed which I took while standing on the old beaver dam. It's similar to your second photo. So, I'd guess that maybe that's about where you were standing when you took the photos of Mattl up on the slide??
P1050961.JPG

It sure looks it! Boy, what a nice area that is. Since I can't do overly steep stuff right now, I think its time to go back exploring the flatter hikes, like this one.

John,

Very nice photos and report. Tunnel Brook has been on my To Do List for a few years now and your report/photos adds more impetus for me.

You do indeed have St John's Wort although it appears to be Kalm's St John's Wort (Hypericum kalmianum) as opposed to Common St John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum). Nice shot!

JohnL

RollingRock: Sorry about the reminder regarding the summit of Clough.:) Probably many folks would agree that a one-time visit to Clough is ENOUGH!:D

Naturegirl: I like the idea of doing that Moosilauke loop that incorporates the Tunnel Brook Trail. So, I'm definitely going to give it try. Since I live in Bethlehem, the direction in which you did the loop would work out better for me. But, there's certainly nothing wrong with TDawg's direction of travel, especially if you live closer to the south end of the Tunnel Brook Trail.

Jjo: Thanks for posting a reply and letting me know that you enjoyed the photos and the report.

Grouseking: Phil . . . hope you soon are able to get back to being able to do some of the steeper stuff. But hey! As long as you can still do terrific treks like the Tunnel Brook Trail, then that make the rehab time easier to take!:)

JohnL: Thanks for confirming that the wildflower in my photo was indeed St. John's Wort.
I'm just curious as to whether there's any particular significance to it possibly being Kalm's St John's Wort (Hypericum kalmianum) as opposed to Common St John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum)?:confused:

Well, I'm not a botanist and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but this is my understanding of some of the differences between the two based upon my limited knowledge.

Common is an herb, 1 to 2 ½ ft high. Kalm’s is a shrub, 2 to 3 ft high.
Flowers are similar in appearance but Kalm’s are generally larger. Common’s petals are generally flat and Kalm’s are generally drooping. Kalm’s has 5 styles and Common has 3.
Petals are plain yellow on Kalm’s and Common’s are yellow with black dots at the edges and have slight multiple notches.
You’ll see a photo of Common on VFTT /General Backcountry/Wildflower thread, page 11, post 157 for a visual reference point.

JohnL

Last edited:
First time posting here - have some pictures from the campsite at Mud Pond on the Tunnel Brook trail. I've really enjoyed the photos in this thread and hope that I can get some of mine up here.
P1010649.jpgP1010650.jpgP1010651.jpgP1010652.jpgP1010670.jpg

What took ya so long, erb?
Love your pics. remind me of my only visit to the area, last summer. My only complaint is that your 3rd pic is upside down! ;)