Two hiking fatalities in NH, both victims in their 60s

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez. My condolences to the families of these two fallen hikers.

I know people have made this comment before but this seems like an especially deadly year already and we haven't even hit consistent winter conditions yet.

I haven't been able to find an accurate number of hiking related deaths in the Whites but Mt. Washington's total appears to be 137 (official reports since the mid 1800's).

This weekend I saw several people ascending the Osceolas with little to literally no gear. I am amazed that more people don't require rescue or medical attention.

Take care everybody,

Z

My condolences to the families for their loss.

Friends and I ascended Ammo Ravine that morning (Saturday). A terrible shame.

This weekend I saw several people ascending the Osceolas with little to literally no gear. I am amazed that more people don't require rescue or medical attention.

Z

Is there a direct correlation between amount of gear you have vs. needing a rescue/medical attention, especially in the stories from this weekend?

Is there a direct correlation between amount of gear you have vs. needing a rescue/medical attention, especially in the stories from this weekend?

I don't think there is a direct correlation in these cases. The deaths seem to be age/physical condition related. In these cases probably the lighter they traveled the better. But the others mentioned were taking other risks without proper gear.

I think is used as in "victims of a fatality" as opposed to victim of a crime.

http://thefreedictionary.com/VICTIM

a person or thing that suffers ... death ... from some ... circumstance...

Tim

I agree with Hillwalker and prefer the somewhat narrower definition: "a person harmed, injured or killed as a result of a crime or accident." Any death on the trail is regrettable and unfortunate but I don't see either one as being victims of anything based on what's in the article.

My prayers and condolences to the family and friends of both, as well as with those present with them as they ended their physical life here with their loved ones. My heart goes out to the two gentlemen who sensed a problem, listened to their inner voices about not leaving behind the hiker even though they may have had 'other plans' potentially waiting for them elsewhere. As a hiking community we are all responsible for each other no matter age, experience, gear packed, location or time of day, month or year.
I personally encourage everyone to atleast get WFA under your belts, even in a medical situation that may not be turned around, being able to provide expedient, accurate care, assessment and information is far better than finding yourself in a situation where only helplessness sets in.

On a personal health note. I recently became concerned with my own cardiac health, due to family history, my age, elevated lipid levels and a reproducible chest pain while at the gym...trying to get into better shape...i bee-lined for my cardiologist and got cleared for strenous activity. Still, no guarantees, but peace of mind atleast for a few more years.
Both these men were outdoors, hopefully somewhere beautiful and meaningful to them, rest in peace.
ctsparrow

About a month ago, I was hiking the Alta Via 2 in the Italian Dolomites. The four of us were having a great day when about 4 people came towards us speaking in Italian and pounding their chest. I looked behind them and saw a man on lying on his back on the ground in some sort of seizure.

I rushed towards him. A few seconds later he suddenly stopped breathing. I went to check his pulse and could not find any.

I have not taken CPR training in a while. It seemed like I was the only person qualified 'to do something'. I recall reading that chest compression is all that is needed from recent research.

I unzipped his jacket and CPR came back to me. Periodically I would stop and his friend would check his pulse. I must have did chest compression for about five to ten minutes...I probably should have continued but it did not look promising. In the background I heard his friends yelling for a 'helicopter' and sobbing at the same time.

His eyes were open and not responsive to any light. One of his friends closed his eyelids. One of my friends told me his lips were turning blue. I decided to stop...then had second thoughts and continued...and eventually stopped.

We paid our respects to his friends as we began walking away knowing a helicopter was on its way. As we were leaving someone else ran towards him and began CPR. We did not know this at the time, but we were 5 minutes from a hut. As we were having lunch, we heard a helicopter fly over, probably to retrieve him...but I do hope he was still alive when I left and he is OK.

I think he was in his 50's and a little overweight...but not much. I don't think what he was carrying had anything to do with this incident. Reading about the two lives lost made me think about what just happened. It was the first time I've seen anyone die.

Anyhow, all three of my friends who were with me said when they got back to the States they would learn CPR. As CTSPARROW indicated, as a hiking community we should be looking out for each other and I encourage everyone to take the CPR course. My condolences to the families.