Ultralight 1-person, free-standing tent. Anyone own an LLBean Microlight FS1?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail Boss

Reaction score
Nowadays I mostly day-hike but in days of yore (late 70's) I used to backpack and once in awhile I get the urge to do it again. I've been looking at reasonably priced ultralight 1-person tents over the years. 'Reasonably priced' and 'ultralight' are a tough combo to find in a new 1-person tent.

These tents piqued my interest (last year) but it appears I have waited too long because they are no longer available:
  • GoLite Imogene UL2 (GoLite is no more).
  • EMS Velocity 1 (Missing from EMS web-site so I assume it was discontinued).

The 2-person EMS Velocity 2 is still available but exceeds my < 3 lbs goal. Anyone here own a Velocity 1? Comments and impressions? It seems to me its footbox is raked too much and effectively reduces the tent's usable length (see image below).

1405907051_108395.jpg

EMS Velocity 1

LLBean's Microlight FS 1 seems like a good blend of inexpensive and lightweight. It's about 6 ounces heavier than the competition (like the MSR Hubba NX) but significantly cheaper. It's also very similar to the Velocity 1 but its footbox has a (comparatively speaking) blunt end that maximizes the usability of the tent's 7'6" length. My concern is its peak height: 31". Whoa! That's short; can't sit up in that. Anyone here own a Microlight FS 1? Comments and impressions?

287011_0_44

LLBean Microlight FS 1

PS
Local retailer had an MSR Hubba NX and a Marmot EOS 1P. Hubba had tremendous volume but its floor length was just adequate for my 5'10" frame. Feet still touched the sloping roof/wall at the foot-end. EOS's sloped walls make you feel like you're in an envelope. However, lying flat, there was a touch more usable length than the Hubba.

Last edited:
I have a Big Agnes UL Seedhouse 1, whatever its called.
IMHO the Seedhouse looks like it has more foot and headroom with a less complicated pole configuration.
For yout consideration.

I use a Marmot Eclipse. It looks like Marmot has replaced it with the Tungsten, at 3lb. 8oz. Ultralight tents may be less durable and less stable in bad weather than slightly heavier tents.

Last edited:
I have a Big Agnes UL Seedhouse 1...
Thanks. I'll cast my net wider and look at semi-freestanding tents like this one. Another person recommended the REI Quarter Dome 1 which is also semi-freestanding.

I use a Marmot Eclipse. It looks like Marmot has replaced it with the Tungsten, at 3lb. 8oz. ...
Thanks. That one exceeds my (arbitrary) weight limit of 3 lbs. FWIW, the REI Quarter Dome 1 lists for the same price and weighs less. Packaged weight: 2 lb 10 oz.

I've got the Quarter dome 1, which I arrived at after weighing the same criteria as you. I'm quite happy with it so far (3 or 4 uses), but I have not had it out in a real rager yet. Still, I have a lot of confidence based on the design. Ridiculously light, goes up in no time, and feels very comfortable, especially with the large vestibule. And in my opinion the price is quite reasonable.

My only issue with this tent is that the fly does not have a guy point right near your head (when you're laying down). As a result, the fly sits in contact with the tent at this one specific point, which would be right between the two right hand poles in the picture of the tent above. In theory, this could transmit water through the tent. The simple solution is to sew a loop into the fly and guy it out. I haven't done this yet but will. Obviously it was not a deal breaker for me.

I too have the Seedhouse SL1 & have been using it to my great satisfaction for years. My one complaint is that when you open up the vestibule door, you lose the rain protection over the door of the tent itself, so a minor amount of rain will get in when the vestibule door is open. Big Agnes's customer service is fantastic--my tent & fly had some delamming PU, despite proper storage, & they promptly replaced both.

In reference to Wardsgirl's mention of the Fly Creek UL1--it looks to me like the Flyhouse is no more or less free-standing than the Seedhouse. You can get away without staking out the foot box, but IMnotsoHO, it's well worth staking it out.

I've got the Quarter dome 1, which I arrived at after weighing the same criteria as you. ...
My only issue with this tent is that the fly does not have a guy point right near your head (when you're laying down).
Two Youtube video reviews had a minor quibble about the lack of a staking point at the middle of the tent (door side). They demonstrated that if you try to open the door one-handed, when you round the curve and start moving upward, the floor rises off the ground (that's where the stake ought to be), the zipper track buckles and stops the unzipping motion. Like your observation about the rainfly, these are small additions a handy person can do as opposed to unfixable things like floor length and height.

Any points of weakness that may have developed? For example, is the 15 denier rainfly sturdy? I ask because someone informed me they had a Quarter Dome 1 but the door tie-backs tore out and he returned it.

I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. ...
I like that one but the price isn't right for me. :-( OutdoorGearLabs reviewed the Fly Creek UL2 and indicated the materials seemed fragile. You've used it longer than OGL tested it and said it was sturdy so I'll go with that.

I too have the Seedhouse SL1 & have been using it to my great satisfaction for years. My one complaint is that when you open up the vestibule door, you lose the rain protection over the door of the tent itself, ...
It's one of the reasons I'd like my next tent to have a side-entry with a near-vertical entrance. This designs also tend to have larger vestibules.

Leaning towards the Quarter Dome ...

so a minor amount of rain will get in when the vestibule door is open.

So close the door. ;) "Doctor, it only hurts when I laugh..."

Honestly I don't think any of the various tents I own, have owned or have used would keep the rain out if the vestibule was open.
Oh and I absolutely only ever buy free standing with a pretty full fly. Just what I prefer in a tent.

Any points of weakness that may have developed? For example, is the 15 denier rainfly sturdy? I ask because someone informed me they had a Quarter Dome 1 but the door tie-backs tore out and he returned it.

I haven't had any issues, but as I mentioned I've only had it out a handful of times. I sort of assume UL gear will not have the durability of something heavier, it's a trade off I'm willing to make for certain items. With the tent, I don't drag it through thick spruce and generally beat on it like a pack or shell jacket, so I can live with a tent that's on the delicate side. But anyway, no issues so far. The REI warranty is not what it once was. That is something to think about. I've had the Quarter Dome T3 for 3 or 4 years now and it still feels like new. I think the QD1 is the same material, so I expect it'll hold up just as well. Having slept in it several nights, I do feel that the design is excellent, for what that's worth (a lot, IMO).