Underwood canyon, best route in

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
I have been considering poking around the Underwood Canyon area for awhile. I plan on bushwhacking in along the South Fork of the Boquet then heading South East to the canyon area. I've only hiked in that area during the winter so any climbers herd paths that may exist from the river to the canyon are unknown to me. Do any unmarked trails exist or am I bushwhacking the whole way? Is the Private land well marked or do I need to carefully pay attention to avoid unintentionally crossing onto private land. We may also consider climbing Wyman from the same start point, again, been all over that area in the winter and have gotten to the hunters camp by staying on the high ground NW of the river but I've been told there is a path on the SE bank of the river all the way to the camp. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The standard approach generally follows the property lines from the north on route 73. The approach is described in Blue Lines, the Adirondack ice climbing guidebook. I imagine right now there is very little trace of the ice climbers' passage, because that's always in winter. I have not been in there, so I can't say how well blazed the lines might be...

Thanks TCD. I'll post a brief trip report on the non winter approach to Underwood Canyon although I suspect the interest in that area to be low unless you are an ice climber. I just enjoy unique land formations, a different kind of view. VFTB