Vaucluse Backpack Frame

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Anyone here ever use the Vaucluse ventilation frame with their packs?

Ultralight Backpack Ventilation Gear | Increase Airflow and Sweat Less

Heard about this product awhile back on the Backpacking Light Podcast and have followed it for a bit. They're doing a pre-order sale on their 2nd generation frames so it's only $37 plus free shipping so I finally took the plunge and got one. Seems like it could potentially be a really cool product but I have some concerns, primarily its long tern durability and how it works with bigger packs versus small/ultra light packs.

If anyone on here has owned one and has any feedback on it please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Maybe it's not an issue with a small day pack, but does the frame concentrate the load into pressure points where it rests against back?

Maybe it's not an issue with a small day pack, but does the frame concentrate the load into pressure points where it rests against back?
It doesn't look like it but I did wonder about that. The description says it is rubber but it must be rigid not to collapse on itself. I noticed the 2nd generation one I ordered has larger holes where the spine would be versus the uniform holes of the original so I was curious about that.

My concern with bigger packs is that the pack basically hangs off the bottom of frame so I wondered how that would feel/form on the lower back, if it would fold or kink in some way, etc.

Looks as if there is some variation in which the way this frame fits. With just looking at the pictures many variables are at play. The type and size of the pack coupled with body type the frame looks very inconsistent with the fit. Some of the pictures display a lot of sag with the upper parts of some of the packs strap not properly wrapping the shoulders of some of the users. Bottom line the frame looks as if it has redistributed the load in many of the packs which is leading to an improper fit. Which in itself is going to result in inefficient support for the user. Another note is that this frame is also moving the existing load further away from the users body resulting in the load being farther from the user’s center of gravity. My guess would be exacerbated by heavier packs. Although there looks as if some of the packs with the frame have been properly tweaked to provide a proper fit. I have worked fitting many different packs on many different people. I can honestly say one brand of pack does not work for all. That looks like it might be the case with this add on.

Last edited:
Looks as if there is some variation in which the way this frame fits. With just looking at the pictures many variables are at play. The type and size of the pack coupled with body type the frame looks very inconsistent with the fit. Some of the pictures display a lot of sag with the upper parts of some of the packs strap not properly wrapping the shoulders of some of the users. Bottom line the frame looks as if it has redistributed the load in many of the packs which is leading to an improper fit. Which in itself is going to result in inefficient support for the user. Another note is that this frame is also moving the existing load further away from the users body resulting in the load being farther from the user’s center of gravity. My guess would be exacerbated by heavier packs. Although there looks as if some of the packs with the frame have been properly tweaked to provide a proper fit. I have worked fitting many different packs on many different people. I can honestly say one brand of pack does not work for all. That looks like it might be the case with this add on.
Yah it definitely made me ask a lot of questions. I'd like to be able to use it with all my packs but I particularly wanted it for my ULA CDT, which is frameless and just has a thin foam pad for the backrest so it sweats out big time. I tried retrofitting it with thicker foam, which really didn't do much for the sweat problem, but it carried much better loaded up, although it cut into the volume a bit.

I've wasted more money on dumber things so I figured what the hell. Apparently it is a really small company because the owner/president actually emailed me to see where I'd heard about the product, welcome me aboard, etc. It was an actual email, not an autoresponder, and he followed up on my reply as well. Hopefully I'll have good things to tell him in a few weeks.

Yah it definitely made me ask a lot of questions. I'd like to be able to use it with all my packs but I particularly wanted it for my ULA CDT, which is frameless and just has a thin foam pad for the backrest so it sweats out big time. I tried retrofitting it with thicker foam, which really didn't do much for the sweat problem, but it carried much better loaded up, although it cut into the volume a bit.

I've wasted more money on dumber things so I figured what the hell. Apparently it is a really small company because the owner/president actually emailed me to see where I'd heard about the product, welcome me aboard, etc. It was an actual email, not an autoresponder, and he followed up on my reply as well. Hopefully I'll have good things to tell him in a few weeks.
Let us know how it goes. Who knows maybe you can talk the company into being a product tester. Much of the time these products evolve and the end product lands up being pretty good.

Well after 3 months of delays and excuses I finally requested a refund for this item today. So I have no feedback to report other than this company clearly is not ready for mass production. Every 2-3 weeks since I ordered (placed 4/30; original ETA mid-May) I'd get emails advising of delays of another 2-3 weeks. Last week I finally asked that if this wasn't shipping I wanted a refund. He replied that they finally got some permit or other and orders would start shipping MON 7/17 and because I was one of the first orders it was at the top of the list. I emailed today to see if it had shipped and - wait for it - I got a reply that they were having a production meeting this week and a shipping schedule would come out next week. Asked for a refund. Super disappointing. Looks like a good product but this company clearly has a long way to go in its forecasting, planning and operations. Can't recommend.

Your story is repeated for many specialty outdoor gear producers. Usually, its a hobby that they want to grow into a business. As long as they are the sole employee, they undervalue their labor. They are desperate to get orders so they underestimate delivery times. Some survive many cease to exist.

Your story is repeated for many specialty outdoor gear producers. Usually, its a hobby that they want to grow into a business. As long as they are the sole employee, they undervalue their labor. They are desperate to get orders so they underestimate delivery times. Some survive many cease to exist.
If all of his updates can be believed it was more a lack of technical knowledge of sourcing raw materials, permits and such that is the problem, not production. Don't suppose it really matters though. They lost me as a customer.

In contrast, I ordered a Polartec Alpha hoodie from a small company (Superior Fleece) in Minnesota back at the same time. They took open orders at the beginning of each month, shut off items when they were at a month's worth of production and then made and shipped everything. The hoodie I got was quite a bit cheaper than the original PA model I got from Rab, was much closer to what I was looking for and seems quite well made. They shipped ahead of schedule. I had by mid-May. They promised the end of the month. Excellent company that executed 100%. I stumbled across them accidentally searching for PA garments and getting constant "out of stock" notices from all the "big" PA makers you read/hear about on forums and podcasts. It had been well over a year I had been looking for exactly what I wanted. I hope they stay in business and continue to execute like they have.

Well after 3 months of delays and excuses I finally requested a refund for this item today. So I have no feedback to report other than this company clearly is not ready for mass production. Every 2-3 weeks since I ordered (placed 4/30; original ETA mid-May) I'd get emails advising of delays of another 2-3 weeks. Last week I finally asked that if this wasn't shipping I wanted a refund. He replied that they finally got some permit or other and orders would start shipping MON 7/17 and because I was one of the first orders it was at the top of the list. I emailed today to see if it had shipped and - wait for it - I got a reply that they were having a production meeting this week and a shipping schedule would come out next week. Asked for a refund. Super disappointing. Looks like a good product but this company clearly has a long way to go in its forecasting, planning and operations. Can't recommend.
Sorry to hear this. I was looking forward to your product testing.

We ordered ours mid May hoping to get them in time for a June backpacking trip but alas we are still without as well. It would have been nice to get regularly updated emails like when you fund something via Kickstarter. I had to email and ask when they were being shipped and I was told 7/17. I only found out they haven't even been produced yet by scrolling Instagram. We're pretty disappointed after the initial email from the company owner. It seemed we were going to be kept in the loop but we most certainly have not. Going to just wait it out I guess. I'll let you know if we ever get them.

Alas we have now canceled our order with Valcluse. Pretty much on principle. It was 3 months to the day of our order with no shipping in sight. Social media is full of Brice travelling and advertising for the frame however I searched my email for production updates and it wasn't until July that he sent out and email with 3 links to production details. Too much time traveling and Instagramming to send out these updates in May/June? Had we known there wasn't even the materials chosen for the frame in May, we wouldn't have ordered them. I've had better experiences through Kickstarter for these small business startups. The SLASR podcast should dump them as a sponsor. Great advertising, HORRID follow through. So disappointing, we were so excited to use these.

Alas we have now canceled our order with Valcluse. Pretty much on principle. It was 3 months to the day of our order with no shipping in sight. Social media is full of Brice travelling and advertising for the frame however I searched my email for production updates and it wasn't until July that he sent out and email with 3 links to production details. Too much time traveling and Instagramming to send out these updates in May/June? Had we known there wasn't even the materials chosen for the frame in May, we wouldn't have ordered them. I've had better experiences through Kickstarter for these small business startups. The SLASR podcast should dump them as a sponsor. Great advertising, HORRID follow through. So disappointing, we were so excited to use these.
Yah that sounds familiar. I did get updates every 2-3 weeks but it was always "in the next week or two".

Regarding the SLASR podcast, that is how I first became aware of the product. In the weeks after I ordered it I did find it odd and increasingly annoying that they always mentioned Vaclause was a sponsor but they never discussed the product or indicated in any way that they liked it. I found that very odd. Makes me wonder if it was a friend of theirs and in exchange for a payment they advertised his product.

It's deeply disappointing to read about your disappointing experience with Vaucluse. Transparency and prompt updates are essential in establishing trust. Small businesses ought to place follow-through above advertising. Your decision about canceling the order purely on principle makes sense. Ideally, they'll learn from these experiences to improve customer satisfaction. thanks, everyone....

I'm am so very disappointed. Being a heavy sweater, this could have been a real game changer for all season hiking. By cancelling, I may have bit off my nose to spite my face but I just could not finance a product that wasn't coming to fruition. I'm a blue collar utility worker, not a venture capitalist.

I'm am so very disappointed. Being a heavy sweater, this could have been a real game changer for all season hiking. By cancelling, I may have bit off my nose to spite my face but I just could not finance a product that wasn't coming to fruition. I'm a blue collar utility worker, not a venture capitalist.
It's disheartening to be let down, especially when a product has the potential to transform your hiking experience. Deciding to cancel may seem challenging, but prioritizing your financial stability is crucial. Your disappointment can be understood; innovation is important, but budgeting also counts. Have you considered alternative solutions for all-season hiking? thank you
insta pro

Never buy a product you hear advertised on a podcast..

It's disheartening to be let down, especially when a product has the potential to transform your hiking experience. Deciding to cancel may seem challenging, but prioritizing your financial stability is crucial. Your disappointment can be understood; innovation is important, but budgeting also counts. Have you considered alternative solutions for all-season hiking? thank you
insta pro
I'm just going to stick with my tried & true method: changing into a dry shirt 😂