Vermont, Mid June and Black Flies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco

Reaction score
Planning my annual long day hike in VT for mid June this year, and I am curiuous as to everybody's general experience as to when the black flies get bad. Last year I was there Memorial Day weekend and it rained all day so no bug problem.

Appreicate your comments- time is flexible but I prefer to get in a nice long hike in early. With only one day available, I am trying use a logical approach to planning. Which means it will snow in June :)

I don’t really know about Vermont but I would imagine it would be similar to the Adirondacks at that time of year. Memorial Day weekend if it isn’t raining is probably when the black flies are at their worst. They don’t seem to taper off until July when the deer flies start to get real active. If it were me, black flies or no black flies I would go anyway.

I am definitely going, just trying to decide when. If two weeks either way make no difference in general, then mid June it will be

The black flies will probably be bad then, and if they arent some other kind of bug will so bring DEET,but still go.

If you ask me there should be a website dedicated to reports on black flies, we already have websites for snow and fall foilage so why not bug report websites?

A common but not always reliable rule of thumb is that black fly season lasts from Mother's Day to Father's Day (many would say Independence Day instead of Father's Day).

Weather and the previous winter often affect this window, however. Including these factors: is it a late starting spring; is it a wet winter and spring; and is it hot early; is there a lot of snowmelt remaining late into spring; etc. These and many other factors play into BF season. For example, this past year they started a little later and ran a later into early summer than normal.

I'm no expert, but this is GENERALLY what I have experienced in the ADK's.

PS: The only reliable BF protection I know of is a BUGNET!!! Get a bugshirt and you will thank yourself. Forget about deet with these voracious bloodsucking devils and buy yourself some nets. Deet helps, but it's analagous to pouring a glass of water on a forestfire.

Last edited:
I generally go by the Mother's Day to Father's Day but last year they seemed to linger till the end of June. Just hope for wind - that usually keeps them at bay.

The problem is, in my experience, that the black flies fail to look at the calendar and cooperate with the general timetable! I've hiked the Great Range in the ADKs in and around the summer solstice for the past few years. Sometimes the black flies are bad, sometimes not. Last year on the 21st they were particularly insufferable - I think the worst I've experienced in the last six years. Other years have been unremarkable. You just have to roll the dice on that particular day.

I find the month of June to be black fly season. A bugnet hat works well and REPEL black fly formula really works too (check EMS).