VT section of the AT....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR

Reaction score
I posted this question on whiteblaze as my account had not been activated on here yet. Now that it has been, I think this forum may be a better place to ask this question, so here it goes.

I am planning to hike to VT section of the AT this summer (late July or early August) and was wondering what the estimated time would be to complete this hike. I am hoping to do it in about 12-13 days with one zero day at little rock pond (midweek) if the weather is nice. Also, as far as resupplies go, are manchester center and killington good choices?

Thanks for any information,
Jason

I honestly can't tell you much about mail drops, good stops, etc., but you're welcome to a beer, a swim, and a hearty congrats when you finish at my place (lives about a 1/2 mile from the vt/nh at crossing on the river). This is assuming you go south->north too. Get in touch.

Last edited:
Manchester Center is an excellent resupply point. I had no problems hitching a ride in and out of town there. (in fact got picked up by the SAME person about three days later on Rt 103!).

Killington is not a good resupply if you need to purchase stuff($$$$ and limited, plus LOTS of roadwalking) but it would be an OK maildrop. Rt 4 is NOT hitcher friendly. Repeat NOT hitcher friendly. Rutland has tons of shopping and motels, but is about a ten mile road walk/hitch from Rt 4. Rutland is your best bet if you need to purchase stuff. Plus there is a Ben and Jerry's, tons of laundramats, a big Hannaford, Ramunto's Pizza, Gill's Deli; just to name a few. Do not expect Vermont "quaint" in Rutland.

I highly recommend walking the 1/4 mile west on Rt 103 to the Whistle Stop. From there, you may be able to score a ride into Rutland for your shopping as well. Also, if you do need to do alot of roadwalking to get into Rutland, 103 is a better choice than Rt 4, because its relatively flat compared to Rt 4 which has killer hills on it. And you *may* be able to stow some of your gear at the Whistle Stop while you are gone.

Check out the back of the End to Ender's Guide put out by the GMC; you'll find a list of GMC members who offer shuttles/rides to hikers.

Have a great hike. Feel free to pm me closer to your hike time. I live a few miles from the LT between Manchester and Rutland and maybe able to help you out with a ride into Rutland if the timing works.

Happy Trails!

Southern VT Long Trail

Okay, fine...if you insist on calling it the Vermont section of the "AT" I guess I can live with that since you will be peeling off toward evil NH after Killington. ;)
I will refer to it as the LT up until you are heading over to NH.

I think that only you can judge if 12 -13 days is enough time. What's your hiking rate and how far do you want to go each day and how much time for re-supplies into town, etc.?

I agree with una_dogger for Manchester and Rutland as resupply towns. And that getting to Rutland may be tricky. So her advice on that and on the potential ride list from the GMC makes good sense.

I'll put a plug in for Goddard Shelter. It was great in 2004 and I was just there this past weekend and it's still great with a brand new privy! When you're on the LT, if you like being near ponds I'd also recommend a stay at Griffith Lake Tenting area instead of at Peru Peak shelter. Or consider some time at Stratton Pond Shelter. Both are really purty. Little Rock Pond would be a great place to take a rest day if the weather was right! Are you aware of the fee at many of the higher use shelters? A caretaker will often come around in the late afternoon to do a little LNT small talk and talk to you about the different kind of privies on the LT and how to properly poop and pee or not pee in each kind. For this service and taking care of said privies there is a charge of $5-6...I can't remember which. Anyway some people get all bent about this, but hey, if that's you, bring a tent and LNT stealth camp someplace off trail. Also, if the weather permits I'd recommend sleeping out under the stars on the tent platform at Cooper Lodge just below the peak of Killington. Go to sleep just after twilight and watch the stars come out one by one. Cooper Lodge itself is a bit out of wack in relation to most of our expectations of level, square, right angle kind of arrangement. So, the tent platform is better for sleeping there anyway, in my opinion.

Where the AT (now you've left the LT and are headed toward NH) crosses the White River over a car bridge there used to be a great swimming hole with a fantastic rope swing and a 30 foot jump off the bridge into a deep pool. Last summer they started construction on the old iron bridge so I don't know what the status of this fun swimming area might be. But, check it out if you like swimming holes. Also, the store that used to be right there at that road crossing is no longer open and hasn't been for a while, but it tends to fool people. The nearest store is quite a few miles from there, but I bet you could hitch it. Heck, I've picked up an AT section hiker there once, so others must do the same.

Have fun. Hope that wasn't excessive info. Late Aug/Early Sept. is a great time to go. You'll likely run into some AT through hikers at that time.

Have fun! Welcome aboard.

John S said:
There is bus service between Rt. 4 and Rutland. You’ll find a schedule here.

Toe Cozy and I rode the bus that John posted about into Rutland. It took a long time if I remember right and so will eat up a good part of your day. The rest of the advice is very good from both Una and TC. I will just add that there is an AMAZING pizza place in Manchester Center. I forget what it's called, Manchester House of Pizza, maybe? It is in the same plaza as the EMS. Have fun !!!

sli74

sli74 I will just add that there is an AMAZING pizza place in Manchester Center. I forget what it's called said:
:D Seema, isn't any pizza place amazing after 5 days of hiking food, even if that hiking food is Green Bean Cuisine . Which, by the way, I need to get more of!

Yeah, John, good call with the bus. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it.

Good call, JohnS . The Bus is a reliable option, and cheaper than a taxi (they wanted $50 from the Inn at Long Trail to Rutland, one way, back in 2004 when I called).

There is also a SUPER sandwich shop in Manchester Center right on Rt 30 when you first get into town. I actually never made it as far as the outlet part of town when I was there, just to the Post Office, the sandwich shop (twice) and a convenience store (good for longterm resupply, as Wingfoot would say!).

I think its Spruce Peak Shelter that is right before you hit Rt 130 -- what an amazing little cabin, ranks very high on my LT favorite shelter list!

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses...

Sounds like manchester center is definitely in, but I will see about Killington. I think a mail drop at the inn at the long trail will be better, as the beer and pickup sounds like a good combo.

Pamola, I will PM you when the date is set and I may very well take you up on the beer and swim offer. I am usually always up for both, so it sounds good to me.

As far as the time goes, I am planning on taking 15 days off work (well....15 days including weekends). So as long as I can get it done within that time frame I should be set. I grew up in central VT (just moved to Salem, NH for work), so I am used to hiking along the LT around the mt ellen area, but I have heard the southern portion of the LT/AT is not as much elevation gain/loss. Never hiked down there so I do not really know what to expect as far as hiking time. If I assume the hiking time is equivalent from central to southern VT I should be fine right?

Again, thank for all the help,
Jason

PS. I will be using a hammock for this trip....first trip more than 2-3 days in it, but it should be good.

I would definitely recommend staying at the Inn at Long Trail if you can, or at least stopping in for a beer and some food! They are all super nice, and the Pub serves up great Guiness and good pub food. If you stay overnight, a yummy breakfast comes with your room. :)

You can also send a resupply box there, just put "AT Hiker, ETA xx/xx/yyyy" with your name and their address and they should have it there for you. You should probably call to confirm, but Snowman and I sent one ahead there on our AT hike in 2005 and didn't have any problems.

Have a great hike! :)

The AT in VT is around 150 miles. That should be doable in 12-15 days no problem. The south does have less continuous elevation gain and loss than the northern sections of the Long Trail. The first 100 miles of the Long Trail have so many enjoyable spots, it's impossible for me to pick a favorite. I also recommend staying or at least stopping at the Inn at Long Trail- for the beer, the food (Love the fruit plate!), the laundry...The rest is a wonderful part of the AT. I'll be out there in early July. Enjoy!

Its been about over 10 years since I did the Long Trail end to end with my Dad the summer before I got married....great memories :D :D Even though you have a hammock, I'd consider staying at, or near Goddard shelter. That's a pretty cool shelter, with a great view. The Glastenbury fire tower is right there also, and has great views. I hear people sleep up there....not sure I would.
The view from Spruce peak across the valley to the Taconics.....being followed by a Peregrine Falcon on the trail near White Rocks,getting pummeled with rain on Killington, BEER and a great meal at The Inn at Long Trail.
Thanks for reminding me of some great times.
Good Luck on your trip.

My main stops for the AT section of the LT were Manchester and the Long Trail Inn. The LT Inn is great about taking mail drops and has a great no-reservation hiker discount. It's a good place to stop and get a meal and beer and has a hiker box. It's a mile off the current trail and an easy hitch. Manchester is an extraordinarily easy hitch (I saw people getting picked just as they were about to put out their thumb... it took me all of 30 seconds to get a ride to town).

12 - 13 days for that 150 miles would be doable for me and I'm a slow poke. There are many great places to stop and swim, do take the time to enjoy.

Small suggestion: take the detour to Killington peak (I'm not sure when/if the snack stand up there will be operating)