We had to put Genie down today

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin and I were so saddened to hear this news, and are very sorry for your deep loss. Genie was one of the best pups I've ever met.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, and so glad to have hiked and played with her.

The last mud puddle on Mt Abraham
a11.jpg

Thank you

Thank you all so much for the remembrances and pictures. We cried while reading, but it helps in healing.
Papa Bear, I revisited that wonderful poem by Wendell Berry, "The Peace of Wild Things," that you introduced me to years ago. Here it is, for all animal lovers:

When despair grows in me
and I wake in the middle of the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.

I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief.
I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting for their light.
For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Sorry to hear about the loss of a family member. Looks like she lead a blessed life. She was a lucky girl.

Genie was a free spirit of the outdoors and we'll be grieving for a while.

--Pat and Audrey

I grieve with you, having had to say good-bye to my own four-legged hiking companion of 14 years at the end of October last year.

May Genie have a wonderful romp in Doggie Heaven, and may you find comfort in knowing she surely is there.

G.

Aurey and Pat (Mom and Dad), so sorry to hear about Genie. That must have been a very difficult decision to make and carry out. We're thinking of you.

- darren

Only to say what others have written, I'm so sorry for your loss. I love the pictures that were posted. They show a very special, caring presence which not all canines have within them. May the love and happy memories help carry you through the difficult days ahead.

I never met Genie but clearly she was a special dog. You will see her at the "Rainbow Bridge"

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Click here for a full range of support services at the Pet Loss Grief Support Website: Petloss.com

My sincere condolences
Sandy

Audrey:
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. News like this brings up memories I still have trouble dealing with.

I'm so happy for you for all the wonderful memories you and Genie have shared. Obviously the more wonderful the memories the harder the loss.

"The bond with a true Dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth can ever be." Konrad Lorenz

Pat and Audrey,

How wonderful that you got to share life for a while with a beautiful, fun, lovable, furry hiking companion who endeared herself to so many people. How sad and painful it is that sharing life, love and companionship with another creature (human or otherwise) is far, far too brief. I'm sorry I never met Genie. I love the mud puddle picture posted by Dave.

Comfort each other with hugs and tears.
Jen

Last edited:
Audrey and Pat,

Oh no! My heart goes out to you! I am so sorry for your loss--it seems like just yesterday that she came to you.

Sending lots of love your way,

Brenda

Hi Pat and Audrey,

I'm very sad to hear the news.

I never really met Genie, but I witness all the love surrounding her on PAtN when she got lost that day. My sincere condolences.

Julie

Everyone deserves one great dog in their lifetime. Although I never met Genie it seems she may have been yours. I know how you must be feeling, they are family with four legs. My deepest sympathy.