Weather Websites for Northeast Backcountry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mink319

Reaction score
I know of the summits forecast for the Whites, and I think it is a great thing because it gives accurate forecast for up in the mountains. I was wondering if anyone knows of any websites with somewhat accurate weather for the backcountry of the Catskills and Adirondacks. I usually check the weather for there from weather.gov, which is NOAA's website. The forecast for the Catskills and most of the ADKs are from Albany, except the High Peaks of the ADK's which is from Burlington. I have noticed that this is not that accurate for those areas, and it is especially inaccurate for places in the backcountry at higher elevations such as Slide Mtn wilderness in the Catskills or Cranberry Lakes in the ADKs. I think that the forecast are for places at the lower elevations near towns, such as Phoenicia and Hunter in the Catskills and Speculator in the Adirondacks. If you know of any websites with good backcountry weather for either the Catskills or Adirondacks, or both let me know. Thanks in advance.
-Mike

Here's 2 I'm sure there are lots more

Check out NEIce.com - it has numerous weather liinks for the entire northeast. You can also check the weather links on LakePlacid.com, they even post backcountry snow conditions.

I always subscribe to Belleayer ski resort e-mail weather reports. It is fairly acurate because during the ski season they tell you summit and Base temps for that morning and any new snow as well as the days forcast. They even give the total snowfall to date. All you have to do is go to there web and subscribe to the e-mail reports. I think there main page is www.belleayer.com

Other than that there is not much on backcountry weather unless you call the Rangers trail condition reports. Not sure how good that is though, never tried it.

Here are a couple to scope out. (I don't get over to NY, so you'll have to hunt around for nearby locations on these sites.)

1. Real Time Hydrology Data This site has (near) real time hydrology data from automated stations all over the U.S. Some of these include air temperature -- you'll have to hunt for those. The streamflow data are kind of worthless this time of year but very helpful during other seasons.

2. Northeast River Forecast Center Snow Information Page This site has information on snowfall and snow accumulation, among other things. The data are displayed on maps -- you can make rough interpolations for places of interest that aren't specifically reported. There are also links to other hyrdology pages.