Weekend backpacks and lower back issues

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
There are many web posts with backpack brand reviews, ultralight vs. not, features, materials, etc. I found nothing on backpack types for people with cronic but minor back issues. I am now shopping for a weekend pack ( 2 night max) in the 3,000 to 3,600 range, and own lightweight (but not UL) gear such as a 1 person MH tent, 25 degree down bag, etc. (Why this gear and no backpack alrerady? used for kayak camping but now interested in weekend mountain trips.) Succeptable to lower back discomfort occasionally, I am really torn on whether lightweight or ultralight packs are the way to go or actually a beefier heavier pack with more padding and support. While trying weighted packs on in the store is obviously essential, one will not know how they feel many hours later. The essential design to me required the most weight shift possible on the hips.

After web reading only, I'm torn between testing a Gregory Z55 pack, Osprey Exos 46, lighter Granite Gear packs in this volume range, or go the path of a beefier support pack like the Osprey Kestrel series. (yup- I over-studied a daypack before purchasing one at the Mountaineer so can't imagine what I'll do on a backpack)

Last edited:
I know it's now considered at least retro and declasse, if not gauche...but you might want to borrow a good old external frame pack and try that. They definately hold weight better than internal frames. If you really really want an internal frame, consider an osprey aether 60. http://www.rei.com/product/780215?p...-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

The Exos 46 reminds me of my kelty shadow http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kelty/shadow-4500/ which is fine for loads up to about 40 lbs.

Last edited:
While trying weighted packs on in the store is obviously essential, one will not know how they feel many hours later.

I've bought packs on-line, spent a few hours at home learning how to pack them, took them on dayhikes (with tags attached) to see how they feel. Out of five packs, I only returned one that I didn't like.

I have chronic and not-so-minor lower back issues. I've found that a pack with a sturdy suspension is well worth the extra weight over an UL pack. I also had to try several packs to find one with padding that matched my back's natural shape. I carry pretty much all of the weight on my hips and allow the pack to act as a back brace. That said, if I could find a lighter pack with a similarly supportive frame, I'd buy it.
-vegematic

I have chronic and not-so-minor lower back issues. I've found that a pack with a sturdy suspension is well worth the extra weight over an UL pack. I also had to try several packs to find one with padding that matched my back's natural shape. I carry pretty much all of the weight on my hips and allow the pack to act as a back brace. ...

Right on. Solid support first, especially in the lumbar (lower back) area. Support not just for the load, but the back as well. Padding second.

G.

I Know Back Pain Mucho!!!!

Hi,
I have had 2 major back surgeries on my back after years of lower back pain. Although I am now mostly free of pain because I had a fantastic:D surgeon it takes constant work on my part to keep my muscles strong in my back. I am making the assumption that you are experiencing lower back pain .

After talking wtih my doctor to determine what support I needed and what weight I should be carring at the maximum, I decided to go with as much ultralight gear as possible. Your Doctor should be able to help you with the weight part. I have found that if I can transfer the weight from my sholders to my hips that reduced the stress on my lower back.You will find lots of references for ultralight gear on the web. I started with the Golite back pack.( www.golite.com) I think it was just over a pound in weight. The size you want in the Golite bags are about 1lb15 ozs . I do not take any special care of my bag and I have had it for three years and it is like new almost... really pretty close to brand new... and yes it has seen a lot of hiking both in summer and winter.

As with everything a philosophy has developend around ultralight hiking. I did it for my back and it is just NOT fun to carry around heavy back packs with lots of gear that you just might not need. Take a look at "The Pacific Crest Trail Hiker's Handbook" by Ray Jardine. This is where I started out. He has lots and lots of suggestions on keeping the weight down in your back pack. I did not follow all of his suggestions but it made me think a lot about what was really needed for back packing.

Good luck with your back and hope you hope you follow many happy trails.

Hey Adkayaker,

Was just reading your post. Not sure if you already bought one....but, I'll tell you what I found, that works for me.

Back a ways when I was young, foolish & unstoppable, at least I thought, I ended up rupturing a disk at L4-L5. I ended up needing surgery.
After I healed up and was ready to go backpacking again, I first loaded up the pack to try at home.
Almost instantly I started having symptoms running down my leg into my foot.
Oh shoot.......that was what I just had fixed. Now what????

It was a Gregory internal pack with aluminum stays that I remember were bent to the shape of my back when I first bought it. That would actually be, if you think about it, pressing right on the area I messed up.
So what I ended up doing, was bending the stay away from that area, just enough and.......tada........no irritation.
Now that went against the grain of what was taught.
Yah, I don't get the full benefit of the intended design....but.................
I can carry a pack again! And have for a while.
Yes, I have to ask my shoulders to take more of the load, but it works for me. This may not work for you, but try different things.

Now I just spilt the beans on why I love to take my pack off more than others!

Interesting comments here. I'm currently experiencing some pain in my leg that - just as mentioned in the comment by Wildpeaks - goes from the top of my leg and right down to my foot. I'm figuring it's back-related since I have scoliosis (curvature of the spine) and have had life-long back problems.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, maybe it's somewhat helpful just to hear that so many others have the same problems as you. Based on some of the posts here, I may consider getting a new pack for winter hiking - I'm thinking my current one may have screwed up my back.

I know everyone's back issues are different but for me, I found that going UL was best for my back. I find that carrying less overall weight and carrying it very close to my torso and distributed pretty evenly is best for me.

I use a Golite pack with no real support (I use an internal z-rest to give it some firmness) and find that with this pack, my lower back feels great. In the winter, I use a more conventional internal frame pack and find that having the weight more artificially divided between my shoulders and hips causes more fatigue and lower back fatigue.

I think another plus to the UL pack is that it forces you to use your own core muscles to support the load rather than depending upon the structure of the pack. For people with really severe back issues, this may not work but for my fairly minor disc issues, UL has been the way to go.

Just a thought, poor posture can make any backpack seem like the problem.

Also a big front porch can raise hell with the lower back on a long day. Don't ask me how I know.

Not using it very often can shock the system if you're not used to weight on your back.

Just a thought, poor posture can make any backpack seem like the problem.

This is really true and one of the reasons I really connect with the ultralight philosophy. It's not as much about worrying about every ounce as hiking in a way that gets us closer to using our natural body. The UL pack makes it feel like my (much lighter) load is really a part of my body rather than something connected somewhat unnaturally through straps and support bars. The side effect is that I develop the core power required to carry that load as part of my hiking. Sometimes it will take a bit of dedicated strength work (particularly in the core) to make this work but in the long run, I think most of us can benefit from a closer connection to our own bodies.

I just switched from a heavier more supportive pack and heavy boots to a light pack and trail runners a couple summers ago and I'll never go back to the old way. That's the one thing that makes me happy about the snow going away. I can dump the heavy stuff and get back to my summer gear.

I luckilly dont have lower back issues normally, but recently picked up a ULA Circuit pack which gets a lot of good press from long distance ultra lighters. It does have a full hip belt and minimal suspension hoop and most of the normal adjustments. There are lighter packs out there but generally they switch to minimal suspension which tends to shift the weight to the shoulders whihc usually isnt a good thing for people with back issues.

The company is small firm that doesnt do a lot of advertising. When you call them, the owner usually answers or he replies to E-mails and they will customize packs if needed. There are couple of retailers on the AT that carry them (Mt Rogers Outfitters in Damascus VA) but they are mostly mail order. I also like that they are made in the USA. Pricing is comparible to buying a big name (generally built in Vietnam) at EMS.

Another positive is the the suspension hoop removes easily and breaks down so I can roll up the pack and put it in in my suitcase for traveling.

Plus anyone that offers a carbon fiber and aluminum "potty trowel" deserves business http://www.ula-equipment.com/pottytrowel.asp :D

these 2

With light-weight (but I guess not Ul) in mind, I have placed these 2 at the top of list to consider - the GG Vapor Trail and the Osprey Exos 46 (smaller than 58). One thing I need to find out for both on these for weekend trips, will a bear cannister fit?

I had the Gregory Z55 on the list but now feel it weighs more than desired. I have not studied the GoLite offerings yet but will take a look. Living in northeastern NY, it seems you need to decide whether to buy something that EMS or the Mountaineer stock if you want to try on or order on line and be prepared to return if not liked.

My gear falls into the light-weight vs UL class so it is make sense to get a pack accordingly. For example, I have the small MSR Superfly and not a home-made stove, a 1 person MH tent vs. a hammock or home-made shelter, etc.)

Last edited:
I use the same Gregory Baltoro pack I used before I herniated a disk in my lower back. In fact, I was wearing it when it happend. Though not the lightest it still works for me. One thought on this is the lightest pack in the world won't help if you're carrying a big, poorly distributed weight inside.

Recovery from the injury was helped and continues to be helped (as it never completely heals) by serious core exercises and, as noted above, correct posture. I've also found that sinching the waist belt tightly to ensure my hips are taking most of the weight makes a big difference considering I have no hips (aka skinny). When hiking with that tight a belt it makes a big difference to make sure the clothing under the belt is smooth as possible to reduce chafe or pressure points.

T I am really torn on whether lightweight or ultralight packs are the way to go or actually a beefier heavier pack with more padding and support.

(yup- I over-studied a daypack before purchasing one at the Mountaineer so can't imagine what I'll do on a backpack)

You cannot "over study" when you have a bad back. I did the same thing and still made very costly mistakes.

I posted recently but can't find the thread on this topic. It might have been of ROT but could not find it there either.

Having severe degenerative disease of my spine I am in constant varying degrees of pain. The GoLite Jam pack failed me because of lack of support. The Osprey Talon 33 I gave away to a board member because the shoulders dug in, and my back killed me at the end of a 5 mile easy hike. I could not wait to get it off.
These are my new best friends.
Long story short...the two biggest packs feel like I have a brace on my back. After an ~ 8 mile hike to Stratton pond last September I returned to the car and mentioned to my friends that I didn't want to take it off because it provided me so much support. I think they are worth checking out.

There are lots of good packs out there but personally I will never again but anything but a Deuter.
Lite does not cut it for me. I need the support if I am going to carry any weight, and good solid boots to. I have found them to be a critical piece of equipment as my back disintegrates. It needs all the artificial help it can get!
My Limmers do the job.

Best of luck in your search.
DEUTER FUTURA SL 40 (big red)
2450 cu in
weight 3lb-1oz
20-30 lbs

DEUTER (blue)
1700 cu in
FUTURA 28
2LBS-40Z
1700 cu in

IMG_0596.jpg

ALSO...this is a nice how to fit your backpack video from NOLS
http://vimeo.com/1360499

Last edited:
Deuter

Maddy, have you looked at any larger Deuter packs. For a weekend, I had a volume of around 3,000 ci in mind.

No, but check this out.
http://www.deuterusa.com/products/

I think REI would order one for you and you could return it if and when it did not work out.

I just love their support system. I first heard of them at the Banff film festival in Lenox.

I have back problems that get exacerbated by compression of my spine (bulged disc that presses on nerves and voila, tingling all the way down the right leg). For me it's less important how the pack holds it's weight, but how well it sits on my hips. For my case, as long as I can keep 90%+ of the weight off my shoulders I'm fine.
When I figured that out I could wear many different packs remembering to keep an emphasis on the hip belt.
YMMV