What gear do you dream of getting, or getting rid of....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John H Swanson

Reaction score
I'm sure there are some good ideas out there...and this has probably been discussed before, but let's indulge

What hiking or backpacking gear do you dream of getting? Cost aside, within reason.

For me, i can't help but consider a new Mchale pack. The idea of picking and choosing specific feature to get just what I want and nothing more is sweet. The problem is that my needs change and then the ideal back could use a tweak, but that's not possible. So I conssider a new one, but with the price, it's just a dream.

A gps would be nice, but haven't needed one yet so it would be more of a toy.

Then 40yrs of playing in the outdoors has left me with a small collection of pocket knives that all seem not perfect....but then there is no clear one out there that makes me think wow, that's perfect. When in fact, I rarely need one at all.

Then there's the pile of obsoleted gear in the basement that I can't get around to getting rid of......What we need is one big gear swap.

One of the great things about the long western trip I'm planning this summer is that there is not a single piece of gear I feel I need. If I had to pick just one item, I'd go for a new backpack as the one I have is a solid 12 or so years old. But it's held up so darn well and I keep thinking back to Guy Waterman and how he made everything he had last forever. So I really don't NEED a backpack. For most everything else, I have two and it's all in good shape.

Puma, I just got a nice, larger new pack this winter(Osprey Atmos 50). I didn't really need one (packs sure do last forever) but I wanted one with newer frame features and a lighter weight. I'm so glad I did -- it really makes a heavier winter pack more comfortable and accessible.

I have so much gear, there really isn't anything I need. Over the years I've given away lots of gently used gear to friends and others just starting out, stabilizers, crampons, packs, tents....other than burning through boots or trail runners, pretty much everything else seems to lsat forever. Anything I replace nowadays is to a lighterwieght version.

Guess I'm just getting old! :)

I walk into a gear store. I walk around for a few minutes, then walk out. I realized I don't need anything.

I keep looking for the perfect pack. I haven't found it, so I have one for every purpose!

Woody

Puma, I just got a nice, larger new pack this winter(Osprey Atmos 50). I didn't really need one (packs sure do last forever) but I wanted one with newer frame features and a lighter weight. I'm so glad I did -- it really makes a heavier winter pack more comfortable and accessible.

Great, now you have me seriously looking at the Osprey packs. Was just checking out some reviews for the Osprey Atmos 65 and it looks really well-tailored to my needs. I like this review on youtube - explains the packs features really well. And my birthday is just before the trip ...

I am dreaming here, but I would dream about getting a package of complete gear delivered magically to my door- that would be all the gear I need to climb any mountain in the world in one package. Everything from down mountaineering suits, mountaineering tents, oxygen masks, the best mountaineering boots and mid hiking boots, all the way down to my clothing, socks and survival gear. - So when I'm ready, I can just pack my stuff and go.

Until then, I just have to add one piece at a time until I own everything. Haha cool thread.

Really, my next piece of equipment I'm looking to add to my gear list is a 2P lightweight tent for at least 3 season use.

... I just got a nice, larger new pack this winter(Osprey Atmos 50). I didn't really need one (packs sure do last forever) but I wanted one with newer frame features and a lighter weight. I'm so glad I did -- it really makes a heavier winter pack more comfortable and accessible.

I've had my eye on one of these as well. Am curious about how it works with snowshoes - it looks like it has a stretchy-fabric for a beavertail - does that hold up for snowshoes, especially their crampons? Or do you lash your crampons with straps/bungies?

I recently found a beautiful super expensive Patagonia Gore-tex shell that I like (but certainly don't neeeeeeeed). I'll keep my eye on it, as with everything else, eventually........it will go on sale......and I'll be waiting! Sales get me in so much trouble!

With our abundance of gear, we recently started putting them on whiteblaze, craigslist, and a few other hiking websites with pretty good luck! When you can sell 3 tents because you haven't used them in years............it's time to send them to another home!! We have donated to the boy scouts in the past too........but a 4 season $$$ tent isn't going to the boy scouts!!

I've had my eye on one of these as well. Am curious about how it works with snowshoes - it looks like it has a stretchy-fabric for a beavertail - does that hold up for snowshoes, especially their crampons? Or do you lash your crampons with straps/bungies?

I winter hiked with an Atmos 50 for a few years. I wouldn't consider that beaver tail strong enough to carry snowshoes. I used these (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?20156-Backpack-Utility-Straps&p=216773#post216773) to hold my snowshoes to the back.

Just recently I decided to try one of my rock climbing backpacks as a winter hiking pack and I was amazed at how much more balanced they felt. The Atmos dangled the weight far behind you (because of the re-curve on the back). I've recently went to a osprey Variant 37 (http://www.backcountry.com/osprey-packs-variant-37-backpack-2100-2400cu-in). Despite the fact that the 37 is 13 liters smaller than the 50, it "packs bigger" meaning I can pretty much get the same amount of stuff in both. I think the atmos is designed more for easier grades, while I know the variant is designed for climbing/mountaineering/ski mountaineering. I feel like my balance and packing is better with the variant. The beaver tail on the variant will also handle snowshoes (MSR Denali Ascents with 8" tails as of my last trip).

I winter hiked with an Atmos 50 for a few years. I wouldn't consider that beaver tail strong enough to carry snowshoes. I used these (http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?20156-Backpack-Utility-Straps&p=216773#post216773) to hold my snowshoes to the back.

Just recently I decided to try one of my rock climbing backpacks as a winter hiking pack and I was amazed at how much more balanced they felt. The Atmos dangled the weight far behind you (because of the re-curve on the back). I've recently went to a osprey Variant 37 (http://www.backcountry.com/osprey-packs-variant-37-backpack-2100-2400cu-in). Despite the fact that the 37 is 13 liters smaller than the 50, it "packs bigger" meaning I can pretty much get the same amount of stuff in both. I think the atmos is designed more for easier grades, while I know the variant is designed for climbing/mountaineering/ski mountaineering. I feel like my balance and packing is better with the variant. The beaver tail on the variant will also handle snowshoes (MSR Denali Ascents with 8" tails as of my last trip).

Thanks for the feedback, and the other link as well.

The shovel pocket works quite well - I shove my snowshoes in, use the center strap on the pocket to secure the main body of the snowshoes, then stretch the two ice axe stretchy holders across the top
Of the shoes and fasten the two ends of the stretchies with a 'Beener.

Side pockets hold crampons.

I have also used the two lower bedroll straps to fasten my snowshoes to the bottom and this works as well.

Very comfortable pack. I've seen a few of them out there this winter.

Here is a site to drool over

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/

I picked up 2 man Echo 2 last year, it was a closeout from a run they made for some government service, the fabric is desert camo. I dont see how anyone could build a lighter tent with screens.

I've been drooling over them and these guys http://www.zpacks.com// for a few weeks now. I think ZPACKS tents might come in lighter and cheaper than HMG's. Which is too bad, because I really wanted to buy from the Maine folks. I may yet. It depends on what the spousal unit likes, since I'm hoping to get him on the JMT next summer.

peakbagger, I'd love to take a look at your Echo 2 sometime before decide which to buy.
-vegematic

I don't "need" anything [agree w/Woody: walk around the gear store, look around a bit, and leave with nothing], but sometimes dream of a two-person tent -- a real TENT with floor, mosquito netting, and one that is waterproof -- that weighs under a pound and doesn't cost a fortune.

Like Chickety, I have had a lot of luck selling old gear on eBay. However, some of it I just cannot part with! For example, my 1994 AT pack, Thermarest, sleeping bag, and Vasque Sundowners. :eek: We shared a lot of miles and fun together!!