What gear do you dream of getting, or getting rid of....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except for the truly crappy flea market gear I used on my first two hikes, I don't get rid of gear... I keep it as loaner gear for friends who don't have gear of their own.

The gear I dream of needs yet to happen breakthroughs in physics, e.g. antigravity packs, or impossible combinations of WPB and insulation, etc...

Salsa Fargo http://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/ with an assortment of saddle, frame and handle bar bags for bikebacking. With the amount of dirt roads,forest service roads, and trails in the southern Appalachians, I believe this would be a fun way to explore them. Adventure by bike!

Well I asked ....and I must say that is sweet for the conditions needing it ... but it would be nice for a cold football game.

Funny you should mention that. A couple years ago, I saw one of these MH Absolute Zero suits listed on feePay :rolleyes: or one of the climbing boards' for sale forums (can't remember which) and in the description, the seller said that it had only been worn once...to a New York Giants playoff game where it was ridiculously cold. The guy was selling it for a steal, but unfortunately, it was the wrong size for moi. (That, and my first 8,000m peak is still a number of years off... ;))

Like many in this thread, I'm pretty well set for gear, after spending the last six or so years haunting Steep and Cheap, ePay, craigslist, the REI garage sale, EMS (and their weekly 20% off coupons!), as well as hiking/climbing boards' for sale forums. Now it's time to start unloading some of the lesser-used and/or older or heavier gear that I bought early on before I knew of better alternatives.

That said, if a new set of Nomics or Spantiks magically landed on my porch...I wouldn't send 'em back! :D

I have more gear then I need, I could outfit 3 guys no problem. My wishlist has 2 items on it.
1. A Patagonia shell, 3 layer gore-tex ( old school here), I think its around 550.00, cmon Yvon!!!
2. I like a fixed blade for my pack, I make hiking sticks and also like it for anything else that comes up or could, anyway my dream knife is a 12 inch stag handled Randall. This company has a 5 year wait and the knife I want comes in at around 1000 bucks:eek:

My current gear dilemna: my trad rack.

It got ~3 yrs of sustained use when Yosemite and Lover's Leap weren't too far away, but alas, now that I have a 1- and 3-year old, and no climbing gym or crags in close proximity, it sits in my gear closet looking sad, wondering if my priorities will someday again favor multi-pitch trad climbing.

*sigh*

Full rack with doubles of everything (except BD cams). Do I sell it for a fraction of what it cost to build it, or do I keep in in hibernation for at least a couple more years?

I want a new, much lighter-weight jacket than the heavy older model Marmut I have now. How patient do I have to be until I find the right one at the right price?

It got ~3 yrs of sustained use when Yosemite and Lover's Leap weren't too far away, but alas, now that I have a 1- and 3-year old, and no climbing gym or crags in close proximity, it sits in my gear closet looking sad, wondering if my priorities will someday again favor multi-pitch trad climbing.

*sigh*

Full rack with doubles of everything (except BD cams). Do I sell it for a fraction of what it cost to build it, or do I keep in in hibernation for at least a couple more years?

Just like my Scarpa Invernos. Why I ever thought I would need a second pair of replacement liners.....that 4 bills sitting on the shelf gathering dust.

hikerbrian said:

Do I sell it for a fraction of what it cost to build it

No-Darth_Vader.jpg

hikerbrian said:
or do I keep in in hibernation for at least a couple more years?

That's what I'd do.

Once the kids are older and you wanna get back into climbing (trust me...it'll happen), you'll be flagellating yourself with a cordelette if you have to re-build your rack at then-current prices when you had a full trad rack that you could've kept in storage.

You'll likely wanna replace softgoods (i.e., ropes, runners, anchor cord, etc.) and maybe even the harness, but all the hardgoods should all still be good to go. Hell, my partner continues to climb on some rigid-stemmed Friends from back in the 80's, and they still look and work fine.

Mercifully, he's long since retired the zebra-print Spandex tights that were de rigueur climbing apparel back then... :eek:

*sigh*

I'll take it off your hands if you'd like :p

Once the kids are older and you wanna get back into climbing (trust me...it'll happen), you'll be flagellating yourself with a cordelette if you have to re-build your rack at then-current prices when you had a full trad rack that you could've kept in storage.

You'll likely wanna replace softgoods (i.e., ropes, runners, anchor cord, etc.) and maybe even the harness, but all the hardgoods should all still be good to go. Hell, my partner continues to climb on some rigid-stemmed Friends from back in the 80's, and they still look and work fine.

This is probably the best plan. Overall, even if you're not going out lead climbing, it'll still be good to have all the pro for setting top-ropes (a much more kid friendly activity).

Haha, thanks for your input, guys. You're right, a few years in the closet is hardly going to destroy any of the durables. And every time I drive by Cannon Cliff I salivate over Whitney-G and Moby Grape. I'll get to them someday. Probably a good time in my life to exercise a little bit of patience. The mountains will still be there. Ok, maybe Cannon Cliff isn't the perfect example for that statement...

*sigh*

My rock gear is old, original friends and original camalots, they are still sound, its the webbing that has to be updated. If you happen to see me on cannon, note the LARGE hexes!!!!!! The largest one saved my a.. on moby grape in a fall in the rain trying to retreat .:eek:

I'm observing No New Gear Year.

I have a history of observing no new capital purchases years. Meaning only consumables. The average person thinks this is crazy, but being frugal has it's benefits. PS. If you really want something, you can get someone to buy it as a gift for you.