What is the best spot for a spring hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seeing that this is a forum for new england, i figured that would be a good place for suggestions. A nice 5 mile would be perfect.

Actually,
VFTT started out 8-10 years ago as a NE forum, it is much bigger than NE now. But I agree with the previous poster.

The last few threads you started are a bit vague -
...Best place to buy equipment
...Best place for a warmup hike
...Best spot for a spring hike

I think if you narrow it down a little, you may exact a greater amount of responses particular to the geographic area you are are looking for .

Thanks Rick, I am new at this so my posts or threads will get better with time.
What I am looking for is an easy to moderate hike to get my muscles moving for summer. As for location, RI, MA, NH, VT, would be easy enough for me to get to. I'm worried about the water, and how wet it could be.

Spring is the worst. Mud, bugs, slushy leftover snow. My best hike last spring was probably Mt. Crawford on Easter Sunday with the family.

Steve

The Catskills tend to be more forgiving in the spring than the ADKs or the Whites. The rocky soil helps limit extreme mud, the snow melt happens earlier and is faster, bugs don't get to feeding till around Memorial Day and there are few real rivers so you'll be dealing with a swollen brook rather than a torrent of a river.

Regardless expect the possibilities of lows in the 30's, just as in the Whites/ADKs there's the possibility of winter conditions

That's on the average, YMV.

Mt. Greylock is nice in the spring. Snow melts there about mid-April, black flies don't come out until late-May and the auto road doesn't open until mid-May.

Starbucks rules! How can you mock them?

No one mentioned the Riga Plateau, which is a great Spring hiking area not far from you. It is the mountainous area in the northwest corner of Connecticut along the NY and Mass borders. Great hikes of the length you're looking for with decent vertical gains of 1500 to 1800 feet or so. Mount Everett, Race, Brace, Alander, Bear and Frissell are all good mountains to hit. In the spring, you're also likely to have the trails to yourself although this is a somewhat popular summer hiking area.

I kinda like Kearsarge North, just outside N. Conway, NH. Pretty easy, great views from the tower of the Mt. Washington ravines which are beauts that time of year, and not too hard.

As they say, bring your DEET.