What is your plan/gear for surviving and unplanned sub sero night in the woods?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cristobal

Reaction score
I'm borrowing this question from another thread, because I'm curious how veteran New England hikers would answer. I have a fair amount of winter hiking experience, but haven't hiked much in the Whites or the northeast at all. So, when you're day hiking in winter, what's your plan if the trip unexpectedly becomes an overnight? What gear and why?
Here's mine: I carry a Gore-tex bivy, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Military-Surp...ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A32S19M3136LLA
It's a bit heavier than some emergency bivy sacks, but it feels more durable and I think the extra weight provides a small amount of insulation.
I carry down booties, because I usually hike in uninsulated or lightly insulated boots, which are more comfortable for me while hiking, but I would want much more insulation if I'm stuck out overnight. Also, always extra dry socks in a zip-lock bag. An extra balaclava, and extra pair of liner mittens. I normally have other extra clothes, including a down jacket or vest, because I get cold during rest breaks.
I do carry a lighter and small piece of firestarter, but I don't think I'd likely use them unless I'd become wet and needed to get dry.
When I was hiking in California, I also carried a lightweight shovel, for digging a snow cave or a trench. This seems less useful in New England - any one have thoughts on that?
Thanks for any ideas you'd like to share.

a lot of people forget about the good old method of building a fire. I'm glad you have a piece of firestarter.

After my tauntaun dies, I'll cut open its belly & crawl inside.

> What is your plan/gear for surviving an unplanned sub zero night in the woods?

Listen to forecast and avoid such days?

Quite seriously, I used to hike on days when it was below zero during daylight and would have been much colder at night, but don't do that any more except for trivial hikes.

When I did do that, I had extra clothes ("If you ever put on your last sweater, you didn't bring enough"), fire starting material, heavyweight space blanket. Snowshoes could be used for insulation underneath and feet placed in pack. Of course unless there was an amazing drop in temperature you would probably be wearing warmer stuff than usual already on your hike. I think I would have survived til morning albeit not necessarily comfortably.

I usually carry a down jacket, Primaloft pants, synthetic-filled booties, Primaloft mittens and a small closed-cell pad to sit on. My plan is to find a sheltered spot to sit and rest for an hour or so, then continue hiking out until I get tired and have to rest again.

My pack has a foam frame sheet and therefore I don't bring a foam pad, I generally carry a spare hat, socks, mittens gloves, expedition weigh polypro top and bottom along with a down coat. I also carry a survival bivy (basically one of the mylar survival blankets formed into a bag), and a trioxane bar. I plan to have enough gear to be able to survive about 20 degrees less then the planned low. If anything I don't carry enough food.

One thing took me awhile to figure out is that I need a much larger day pack in the winter. Many folks, especially beginners try to use their summer pack and a typical summer or fall pack is just to small so they cut corners on what they put into it. I wore out a 2500 cubic inch EMS pack which was barely enough and now use a 3200 cubic pack that I used for backpacking about half the AT. Its a little large in the morning when I have all the gear on but as I warm up its gets fuller.

My pack has a foam frame sheet and therefore I don't bring a foam pad, I generally carry a spare hat, socks, mittens gloves, expedition weigh polypro top and bottom along with a down coat. I also carry a survival bivy (basically one of the mylar survival blankets formed into a bag), and a trioxane bar. I plan to have enough gear to be able to survive about 20 degrees less then the planned low. If anything I don't carry enough food.

One thing took me awhile to figure out is that I need a much larger day pack in the winter. Many folks, especially beginners try to use their summer pack and a typical summer or fall pack is just to small so they cut corners on what they put into it. I wore out a 2500 cubic inch EMS pack which was barely enough and now use a 3200 cubic pack that I used for backpacking about half the AT. Its a little large in the morning when I have all the gear on but as I warm up its gets fuller.

I switch packs every year when the cold sets in. My winter pack is a Gregory Reality, its years old, but is in top shape.

The plan is to stay dry and warm.

The gear I carry includes:
Extra 700 weight down jacket
Sleeping bag (20 degree most of the time, occasionally -40 if really cold)
Winter bivy sack, water resistant, not waterproof
2 headlamps
Fire starting materials although I don't plan to need a fire in most instances (lighters, matches, Vaseline soaked cotton balls, a couple magnesium strips, knife)
Sleeping pad on occasion, my packs provides similar ground protection (it has foam back)
Waterproof pants, parka, hood, gloves, boots rated for winter
Extra shirt, gloves, hat, 300 weight fleece pants
Extra food
A good attitude and patience
Periodically I will carry a stove and fuel and make tea along the hike.

I often get asked how many nights I am planning on being out. My answer is usually, "none but I can spend two or three if I need to."

It varies depending on forecast, where I'm going, who's with me, etc., but the basics include a foam pad, a tarp, either a Blizzard emergency bag or a light 20F sleeping bag, extra layers, extra food, basic fire starter materials, and a big puffy jacket. I sometimes bring a stove and a pot, and primaloft pants.

I read this above:

My plan is to find a sheltered spot to sit and rest for an hour or so, then continue hiking out until I get tired and have to rest again.

^^ I'm skeptical, since the most ordinary reason for an unplanned night out in extreme cold would be an injury that renders travel very difficult or impossible. That's why I don't put too much stock in the plan to start a fire, either -- there are definitely great stores of fire fuel available to the person who can travel to them, but the person who can travel to them can also travel to the road. I don't expect to break my leg or dislocate my shoulder anyplace convenient.

^^ I'm skeptical, since the most ordinary reason for an unplanned night out in extreme cold would be an injury that renders travel very difficult or impossible.

If some people want to plan for the possibility of getting injured while hiking, it's OK with me. I plan for losing my way while descending a poorly-marked trail.

my cold weather stuff includes
z rest foam pad
polartec 300 fleece pants
800 down jacket
waffled soft shell
extra gloves..most winter trips 3 extra pair
mittens that i have never worn
extra hat, couple of neck warmers and balaclava
blizzard bag
heavy duty lighter, extra fuel, fire starter cubes
hand and foot warmers

i find it much easier to have a big pack with pockets where you can find stuff
i and several friends use a 65

If some people want to plan for the possibility of getting injured while hiking, it's OK with me. I plan for losing my way while descending a poorly-marked trail.
So far, I have manged to injure myself in the back country (broken leg while BC skiing*), but haven't managed to get seriously lost (yet)...
* It wasn't my fault--a blowdown jumped out and grabbed my ski tip. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Everything necessary to stabilize me on site was in my pack**. Fortunately I only had to wait a few hours for the evac crew to arrive. And I was smart enough to pick a nice day-- ~20F and light winds and a location with cellphone coverage and snowmobile access.
** The primary gear used was a down jacket, a balaclava, a foam pad to sit on, an emergency bivy sack to block the breeze, and the pack itself to lean on while waiting.

I also had enough first-aid and rescue training/reading to preside on site. (I was solo, but another skier came by shortly and was an immense help.)

Doug

Last edited:
my cold weather stuff includes

i find it much easier to have a big pack with pockets where you can find stuff
i and several friends use a 65

Good to point out.

Mine is a 70, so in that same range. It straps down well but I find the size great for day hikes in winter as well as overnights. It rides so comfortably that it makes up for any extra weight.

Edit: and has been mentioned, a glance at the weather forecast is always a good idea. For example, as much as it pained me not to hike yesterday even with a reasonable window of weather most of the day, an injury could have resulted in being encased in ice overnight if one had to stay out there. Best to not come that close to the edge IMO.

Last edited: