What kind of snowshoes do you use?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand of snowshoes do you use regularly? (Check all that apply)

• Atlas

Votes: 53 23.5%
  • Crescent Moon

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • MSR

Votes: 70 31.0%
  • Northern Lites

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Redfeather

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • Sherpas

Votes: 34 15.0%
  • Tubbs

Votes: 59 26.1%
  • Yakima

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Yuba

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 37 16.4%

• Total voters
Sherpas with Tucker bindings since 1989, only ones I have ever used.

SherpaKroto said:
Spencer: great poll!

thanks, but it wasn't my idea. someone on the MSR rant suggested it, so I thought we ought to get some data.

btw, I use Atlas 1233s. can't say enough good things about them. I also have a pair of 36" Sherpas and a very small pair of recreation Atlas shoes (they really belong to my better half although I've used them a couple of times)...

spencer

Tubbs Katahdin's with TD-91 bindings normally and with custom bindings when I wear my Plastic boots (too big for the TD-91s). US Army surplus magnesium snowshoes with Tubbs Bindings for deep powder away from the mountains.

1) Atlas 1033 Used for years,Great climber,heavy.Backup,deep snow,friends. 2) MSR,s 1 red pr.The wife uses these,dosen't break trail and dosen't go steep or cold.Works great for her.1pr. gray w/8"tails(dont use) and heal televators for the boy he loves them. 3) Grivel something or other(the ones with permenet crampons)Weight is between Atlas and MSR,Work well with mountainering boots,Bindings simular to strap-ons.Cost I thought reasonable.Climb very well.don't pack as well as MSR but better than the rest(IMO).I don't know why they aren't more popular? :cool: :) :rolleyes: ;) I would like to offer my 1033's to tramperals partner ;) good idea

Have used Tubbs Expeditions for the past five years. Am thinking about adding a pair of NorthernLites, too.

Northern Lites Elite

For long hikes, the Northern Lites Elite is my choice, despite a few shortcomings.

I am hoping for a "Northeastern" version of their shoe someday, which ideally would have a larger ( and replaceable) main and heel crampon made of stainless or titanium, a shorter and lower toe profile for the steeps, and a binding similar to the Atlas 1022 ( snowboard style ratchet buckles). This would add a small amount of weight, but would still be far lighter than any other shoe I have come across, and much quicker to take on and off.

The plastic pertimeter "cleats" are quickly shredded by even a short encounter with rocks, but the frame and decking are more durable than one would think.

Finally, they have a great warranty, and are made in the USA :D

Has anyone tried Bob Dion's line of shoes? Dion Snowshoes

Last edited:
After demo-ing traditional snowshoes the last two years, I bought MSR Evo Ascents sight unseen this year ($160 on-line). I'm sure they lack flotation, but are great on packed trails and mixed terrain because of small size, light weight and bomber traction. They seem to represent something between a true snowshoe and a crampon. The design also has another advantage - the slim plastic tails and lengthwise minor cramps make excellent butt-sliding brakes, when artfully manipulated! :D

DAMN - i just googled those N. Lite Elite's. At 2 lbs. they are crazy light!!! And seem to have rave reviews too! Plus $199 is not too bad. What's the catch?

Last edited:
No aluminum-claw Tubbs

Have to give the thumbs down to the Tubbs Elevation 30. I had a pair fail on me while summiting Saddleback in the 'Dacks this weekend. I really had to pound the toe claws in pretty hard to get traction most of the way. Then, while ascending a steep snowy pitch at about 4100 feet, the shoes just stopped grabbing altogether. I slid back down to a less steep area and took them off. The aluminum toe claw had splayed out significantly; some of the "teeth" were bent completely flat. At that point they were useless. I stuck them in the snow and continued the climb in crampons.

Once again, my friends in their MSRs had no problems and summited without switching into crampons.

When I plunk down the money (which I'll do next year instead of renting Tubbs again), it'll be for a pair of MSRs.

--Sijesi

24" Sherpa Tech Featherweights, if I remember the model name correctly. These were made before Sherpa changed hands and quality dropped. I had the aggressive Tucker binding put on them, and they've served me well climbing the ADK 46 2x. However, a few weeks ago, I loaned them to a friend lighter than I on an easy outing, and one frame broke. I think I've had them about 6 winters. I will attempt a repair using a section of aluminum ski pole as an internal re-enforcement.​
I also bought some Redfeathers, allegedly backcountry shoes. Again, don't remember the model name. They are 30" for deeper or softer snow. The very first time I used them, in the first hour of use, one bent up really badly and :45 later was broken and flopping around like a Redfish out of water. Gross weight at the time was ~200#, and I was just walking lightly and hit a bridge situation. Redfeather replaced it free, with apologies, saying they'd had almost no such problems with that year's model (black and green). I used them with little confidence a few times last winter, mostly carrying a sherpa on my pack as a spare. This year, the same unchallenging day as the Sherpa broke(above) I noticed a dislocation in one Redfeather. There's a plastic coupling which joins two open ends of the tubing, and one end of the tubing had pulled off. Maybe it happened that day, or maybe last season and I just noticed it then. I can still return them to STPost, and may do so. Too bad, because the ratchet bindings are really good!​
Thinking of buying Havlicks, but haven't heard anything about recent year's models.​

Last edited:
Two pair of old Tubbs, the Sierra's & Yukons, usually use the smaller ones as I don't do winter bushwhacks. Alos have a pair of Grivel Promenades that have little trail use as the few days I've been out since getting them have not required them & I prefer crampons if postholing is not too bad a problem. While the cleats are very aggressive on them the buckle system needs to be very tight & I've I have had to replace a screw & washer which fell out already.

If I was doing a multi-day trip without anything real steep, I'd use the tubbs. (I replaced them as the cleats on them are worn - bought old EMS rentals from Hartford Store when I worked there in either 97 or 98. Hartford shoes did not get a lot of use except from the associates)

I use a locally manufactured snowshoe. The name of the brand is Havlick Snowshoe Company. They are manufactured in the Adirondacks. They work just as well as many of the better known brands and cost easily less than half. They have the best snowshoe crampons I know of -- eighth inch thick aluminum.

Their website is:

www.creatcompsol.com/havlick/

Moose

Snowshoes

A pair of MSR shoes that I got on eBay for 50 bucks with
four inch tails I picked up used from Rock & Snow in New Paltz.

Northern Lites

Tim Seaver said:
For long hikes, the Northern Lites Elite is my choice, despite a few shortcomings.
[/URL]
I have the Northern Lites Backcountry (9"x 29"). Good flotation for a 180lb er with a pack, light on the feet, great with mukluks. I stay away from rocks, no trouble so far. The bindings are not the fastest to put on, but get the job done. My wife has a pair from the Northern Lites Quicksilver series, they were her starter pair, and she loves them.
Walt :)

Sun,
If you're looking for for a good deal on snowshoes, check out the thread on Yukon Charlie's snowshoes. I picked up my 1st pair of 30" shoes for $60 and they seem to work well on the 4 times that I've used them. If you're on a budget, can't beat the price!

1. MSR Denali ascent for packed trails. How can you beat the lift-up bar?
2. MSR Lightning ascent (large size) to break trail or trailless.

I don't do any flat land.