"What movies are made out of": Mt. Logan rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
Mt. Logan rescue & Grouse Mtn. search (CA)

Mount Logan (CA) rescue story. A classic indeed.

Sunday:
And another SAR in progress on Grouse Mtn in Vancouver. (Although it's not certain that this guy is on the mountain.)

Monday:
Grouse Mtn. search gearing down with no luck yet.

It is now confirmed that he went up the mountain; there's video of him getting on the tram. And he was a photographer, possibly ascending at that late hour to get a sunset shot.

Last edited:
i read Not Without Peril last week about mt climbing deaths in the whites in the last 100 years and this story sounds similar. people don't seam to know when to turn back or admit defeat. Is it hubris or not knowing one's limit? One must be prepared for a variance of weather conditions. In the book i was struck by the story of the climb up mt madison and why they kept ascending in those conditions in jeans and a windbreaker. the story was a heartbreaker but also a headscratcher.

king tut said:
i read Not Without Peril last week about mt climbing deaths in the whites in the last 100 years and this story sounds similar. people don't seam to know when to turn back or admit defeat. Is it hubris or not knowing one's limit? One must be prepared for a variance of weather conditions.

Hope you are not comparing with Mt Logan incident.

The only way to be safe from storms and accidents in a high altitude environment like on Mt. Logan is not to climb at all... they were caught by a second storm on their way down after turning around at 18000feet before reaching the summit.

Its a simple reality, accidents and freak storms well outside of 'variance of weather' can happen on high mountains and even the best prepared climbers or members of rescue teams (like the climbers that were just stuck on Logan) do get caught and sometimes die.

...so, are the other five climbers from the Logan expedition still on the mountain going for the summit? I did not see any further reference to them in the articles about the rescue of their three companions who had turned back.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
...so, are the other five climbers from the Logan expedition still on the mountain going for the summit? I did not see any further reference to them in the articles about the rescue of their three companions who had turned back.

Here's what the Globe & Mail said earlier about two of the remaining climber-rescuers in the Logan incident:

"Friday afternoon, two other climbers reached the trapped climbers and provided them with a tent until they were rescued.

Park officials said those climbers were crucial to the success of the rescue. They were to make their descent on Saturday."

And here's what they said yesterday:

"Two other members of the North Shore Rescue team remain on Mount Logan but they are not in any danger."

I assume that this means some came down, some stayed on the mountain but it's not totally clear who's where now. The fog of SAR continues . . .

Last edited: