Whats the snow cover on Greylock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonlegit

Reaction score
Someone at my school had suggested that there was supposed to be a large storm coming through sunday night. While i have found nothing of the sort, it intrigued me. Against our (my freinds at school and me) better judgement, we want to go ski greylock on that day, but only if it snows. After i showed them the pics from Utah, they are eager for some powder too. The only problem is midterms are tues-fri. But, like i said against our better judgement we are going if school is cancelled. However, we will NOT go if there is no snow cover. I imagine it has been plenty cold recently, but i wonder if there is enough coverage after the big meltdown we had maybe 3-4 weeks ago, seeing as how we have recieved really no major snow since then. Can i get a local or recent opinion? Is it skiable, perhaps with 6+ inches of snow? Thanks in advance.

just my guess

Non-legit!
I would like to help you out more, but a little info is better than none, so here is what I know.

The Greylock area lost a lot of snow with the big melt a couple of weeks ago.
Skiing at Jiminy is very nice due to grooming and snow making. Having recently done the Taconic Crest Trail (which has many relatively close views of Greylock being that it is only about 10miles away in places) from Rt 20 to Petersburg to Pownal, VT, the snow cover was minimal. There were patches of open rock on Berlin Mt and there was 4-6" of snow from recent squalls. But the wind has blown that away from exposed areas. There was a very nice supportive base though!
IF you are looking for the total powder experience, maybe it would not be enough to enjoy the ThunderBolt for the driving commitment you would have to make.

Just my impression. Ihope this helps. And if you go, any adventure is better than staying home!!!

Did you look under the trail conditions? I was on Thunderbolt 12/27 and it was very unskiable. Since then there has only been about a foot of snow in the area.

The only problem is midterms are tues-fri

Nonlegit...please, do yourself a BIG favor.
Concentrate on your education. This is the time in your life for you to concentrate on midterms. You'll need to have a good job to support your adventure jones.

I'm 100% serious about this.

...well, i suppose my midterms should be fortunate that there is not enough snow cover. It only usually takes us about 1 1/4 hours to get there, although it would change greatly if there was snow. Anyways, maybe ill wait till febuary break.

Nonlegit,

Living in Berkshire County, and at a rather high elevation, I can pretty much assure you that there is not enough snow to go skiing. I assume that you mean you want to go down the Thunderbolt. Finding that a difficult climb in warm weather, it always amazes me that people can ski down that, but they sure do! There is at most a 6 inch base of ice, with maybe 1 inch of powder, I'm sure that there must be plenty of bare spots too.
I'm not even sure there's enough to go cross country skiing.
With this cold weather, the sun shines on the frost covered summit of Greylock, and it is spectacular! How about Jiminy, or Bosquets?

we may get a lot more snow than i anticipated....ill keep yall posted as to whether or not i head up there tonight. Maybe i will...

I think the heavy snow isn't supposed to start until Tuesday afternoon. Good luck.

yea, our plans have changed slightly. We dont anticipate missing school on tuesday, so after midterms (we get out at 1030) we will probably head up, still dependent on the forecast. However, the school has already passed out revised schedules for midterms later in the week (meaning they have already cancelled school wednesday lol, or at least in our dreams). So anyways, we may be in for a cold night, but some very dry powder in the morning and throughout the day.

Snow on Greylock

If the forcast holds, there should be fair to good skiing on the Thunderbolt by late Wednesday - Thursday. It all depends on how much base is down. Normally, over 2500 ft will be more snow cover left from the small snow events we have had over the last 3 or 4 weeks. So .. it should have a chance to build from there. If it doesnt consolidate the first ones down will most likely plow it clean down to ice.
Good luck and you can always ski the Rockwell road.
Steveo

Skiing Greylock

Hello fellow Berkshire County VFT members. I would like to weigh in on the conditions of the Thunderbolt trail. We just recently got a good bit of snow and many areas in the Berks are open to Backcountry skiing (Ski Trails in Pittsfield State Forest, Petersburg Pass). However, the Thunderbolt needs a lot of snow to ski/ride comfortably w/o worry of core shots. I have been snowboarding at the Greylock ski club on the West side of the mountain the last couple of weekends and they only have about 6 inches of natural snow, good enough for maintained trails but not the Thunderbolt. I would guess that the conditions have improved considerably on the T-Bolt w/ this storm but there would still be rocks, brush, and logs that have yet to be covered. Good Luck