White Cap (100 Mile Wilderness) route recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone been up White Cap recently and/or been up either the Logan Brook or White Brook Trails?

Looking for road/route current conditions for a trip to Kokadjo next week.

Thanks in advance!

There was an approach from the Kokadjo area via the old Frenchtown Road using the road to Little Lyford Camps. Frenchtown road crosses the AT at the base of White Cap east of the summit. This stretch of the AT to the summit is the location of one of the longest rock work projects on the AT in Maine. It was passable in 2005 as I found some old reports. The road dead ends north of the AT at a brook where a bridge was removed. I looked at Google Earth and it doesn't look like any recent logging so its questionable if the road is still passable. The road is gated for the AT corridor so its no longer a through road.

You are describing White Brook and the Frenchtown is passable in large part due to Medawisla (AMC) but not all the way to KI Jo Mary (I did two trips into Namankanta last summer).

Road odometer readings for turns to that side are pretty reliably published -.I'm just curious about current conditions. Both routes are well described in the Maine Mnt Guide ��

Last edited:
Nice to see its still open. This is the more scenic approach and descent if I remember. The reason I was hesitant is when I started and ended some section hikes in this area around 2003, the road was in pretty sad shape with trees growing in from either side across the road and some flooded areas near one of the ponds, it was passable with some care and disregard for a paint job. The gate used to be past Logan Brook which at the time required some serious four wheeling to get around the missing bridge. We drove past it once but ended up driving back and parking on the north side as significant rain would have made it impassable. On the next trip we just parked at the bridge.

Plus no KIW road fee!

Last edited:
Nice to see its still open. This is the more scenic approach and descent if I remember. The reason I was hesitant is when I started and ended some section hikes in this area around 2003, the road was in pretty sad shape with trees growing in from either side across the road and some flooded areas near one of the ponds, it was passable with some care and disregard for a paint job. The gate used to be past Logan Brook which at the time required some serious four wheeling to get around the missing bridge. We drove past it once but ended up driving back and parking on the north side as significant rain would have made it impassable. On the next trip we just parked at the bridge.

Plus no KIW road fee!

I'm not sure of West Branch Camps was operating in 2003 (14 years since you have been up there :eek:) but they are operating now (and full) so I'll thank them for their road service on the way by.;)

Last year KI JM stopped collecting Oct 1st, FWIW.

Last edited:
Just heard back from Moosehead Pinnacle (Link above in post #4)

Frenchtown Rd to Gate where Logan Brook TH is graded, well used and in excellent shape as of today.

Happy Trails!

Just heard back from Moosehead Pinnacle (Link above in post #4)

Frenchtown Rd to Gate where Logan Brook TH is graded, well used and in excellent shape as of today.

Happy Trails!

I was just up there last Thursday. The Logan Brook approach is really nice up to the shelter, and from there to the summit is probably the most rock stairs I have seen in one section - holy cow!