White in NH...Presi Traverse...missing hikers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Hi all...

Received this email concerning two missing Canadian hikers...they arrived at Gray Knob on Tues and left Wed to complete their Presi Traverse. They started at Madison and Adams (Tuesday) and had planned on doing Jefferson to Washington next...then on to finish.

Am posting this in the hopes that someone knows something about them, saw them, remembers something. Please pass on to me and I'll pass on to the search crew:

Hello,

My name is Lt. Douglas Gralenski of the NHF&G Dept. I have been forwarded your e-mail from the Grey Knob cabin on Mt. Adams. On Wednesday night two Canadian people spent the night at Grey Knob and left on Wednesday morning heading for Mt. Eisenhower. The males name is Gabriel Fortin and he is 30 years old. His female companion is only known as “Stephanie”. It is assumed she is approximately the same age.

If these two hikers are not found by tomorrow morning an aerial search will take place. It is my understanding you stayed at Grey Knob Tuesday night and may remember these people. Of particular note, I am interested in the color of their outer clothing and back packs. I would also like to know if they had snowshoes with them. Of course, if you have any other info of value I’ll take everything you may remember.

Our prays are with them - it was a very nice day out today but very windy.

If you hear of any call for people to help in a search, please let us know.

Still missing

I heard a blip on WMUR this morning that they are still missing, they did mention some where around Mt. Adams and chopers will be up searching this morning. I could not find an article on line.
I hope this has a happy ending.

Found

They were located by the National Guard helicopter and arrived at the command centre just moments ago."

"They are in excellent condition; no injuries and no frostbite. They were found down a ravine in the Dry River wilderness area."

The large-scale search, involving 30 trained winter mountaineers and a U.S. National Guard helicopter, began early Sunday morning due to diminishing light Saturday afternoon and the large, difficult terrain involved.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/Travel/Ottawa+students+missing+Hampshire+mountains/1292991/story.html

That's great news. Surprising how many drop into Dry River rather than the western side.

Wow! Based upon what we knew, things didn't seem too optimistic when I was talking to a bunch of VFTTers this morning at Crawford. The Highland Center was swarming with search and rescue people, vehicles, and even the chopper. I'm very glad to hear they're safe.

Downwind?

Doug
Yes, I think so. Unfortunately, it's the wrong direction to take if you're stuck on the ridge. Fortunately they were spotted quickly. Wasn't it a VFtT'er who did something similar a few years back, but got further down and therefore more difficult to find? IIRC, I think he used the name Rambler - not sure he's active here anymore. Again, if I remember the incident correctly he got out OK also.

Maybe Mohamed remembers this incident and can comment on the accuracy of my memory.

That's great news. Surprising how many drop into Dry River rather than the western side.

Yes and yes...I was thinking the same things when I read the article.

I just love happy endings. Sounds like they were well prepared and made good decisions. Who knows? Maybe they even enjoyed thier adventure! (up until the rescue part of it)

Quite alot of manpower went into the search -- it always amazes me the scale of the efforts -- very thankful for those who devote themselves to SAR.

Last edited:
Yes, I think so. Unfortunately, it's the wrong direction to take if you're stuck on the ridge. Fortunately they were spotted quickly. Wasn't it a VFtT'er who did something similar a few years back, but got further down and therefore more difficult to find? IIRC, I think he used the name Rambler - not sure he's active here anymore. Again, if I remember the incident correctly he got out OK also.

Maybe Mohamed remembers this incident and can comment on the accuracy of my memory.
I recall a search for someone who ventured down into the Dry River drainage last year or the year before. Don't recall if he was a VFTTer or not. (But I'm sure we discussed it here. :) )

In theory there are trails down there, but they are rarely broken out in winter and of course there is also a non-trivial stream too...

Doug

Last edited:
Weren't there two gentlemen from down South (maybe North Carolina) about this time last year who went missing from the ridge and then spent a few days trying to get out -- finally being found in the Dry River Wilderness -- but having thier movement greatly hindered by high rivers and lack of snowbridges??? Maybe I've got the details wrong ...seem to remember something like this, though.

You may be right, Sabrina. Maybe the USFS could post something at the various trailheads for the Presi's which says in effect - If you DO have to bail, and don't have a carefully planned escape plan, go West ...

Having just finished Not Without Peril last week, I remember Howe saying that most hikers will not go against the wind when they are in trouble. As the predominant wind is from the west/northwest, they are unlikely to go down into it. Doug mentioned this earlier...

Tim

It was Rambler, and I believe he posted a pretty good account of his trip on outdoors.org.

Having just finished Not Without Peril last week, I remember Howe saying that most hikers will not go against the wind when they are in trouble. As the predominant wind is from the west/northwest, they are unlikely to go down into it. Doug mentioned this earlier...

Tim
Tim - That's my point, Tim. If hikers knew from a sign at the trailhead (or from reading it here, for that matter) that safety was found going west, more would go that direction, regardless of wind direction. There's a road that parallels the Presi's on the west; except for the far northern Presi's, there's no such road to the east.