White Mountain Cafe in Gorham for sale

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.conwaydailysun.com/berl...cle_9f55153c-554d-11ed-8974-8b1938aaf756.html

The building has been advertised for a few months. There is competing business down the road called Dermoody Road that probably has taken split some of their business away. WMC was one of the few basic quick breakfast options in town. Mc Ds remains.

Lots of restaurants listed for sale in town and few that I suspect a few more are for sale but not listed.

I think it comes down to that most of the businesses in town are sole proprietorships, usually husband and wife with family. Its typically 6 or 7 days a week with long days and few vacations except during the spring and fall "mud seasons". Few folks these days would want to sign up for that and the ones that do rarely have the money up front to buy into a business. Most sole proprietorships draw a salary when they are making money and do not when they are not and I expect there were times during Covid where they did not draw a salary while trying to keep the business afloat. The other aspect is the profits are based on volume and for volume employees are needed. There is an incredible demand for hospitality workers in the region and good employees are frequently poached by other employers. The only growing population in Coos county are folks over 60 with all the other younger population categories dropping thus the local school population is getting smaller so far fewer new workers available to fill in seasonal jobs. Ultimately most of these business owners only major savings are the equity in the business. The WMC owners are young, but my guess is they are looking at their future retirement prospects and possibly funding two college educations and realizing that they need to find a different occupation if they ever want to retire. The tax records show they paid $231,000 in 2013 for the property and no doubt have significant investment in equipment, therefore the $699,00 they are asking has some compensation for the years they have put into it. There is currently one other large restaurant for lease adjacent to the Best Western (Royalty) and the former Welches for sale for far less.

ATV business is seasonal, the realtors have been doing well as it drives a lot of second home purchases due to the depressed local housing prices resulting from the mill closures in the region in the past. There is one thriving rental firm and at least one other part time one that probably breaks even. With warmer winters, the snowmobile season is now at best 2 to 1/2 months long and in some years shorter. Most ski traffic just takes a right at the town common as they head over to Bethel and Sunday River. if you look at traffic pulling out of Wildcat, most of its heading south to the conway area.