Why Ask Why ? Try Owl's Head !

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher Cat

Reaction score
When you boil it down, hiking is not essential to life. Some would say not an equal to eating or drinking, or even sleep. However, being a purist and convinced that it is, I contradict my own statement. But, such a thought beckons the question "Why?". Why do we do it? Why do we hike? I have my own theories on this and I can think of no better background for such a contemplation as hiking Owl's Head. After all, think of all the time spent hiking that you have to think about it.But first...

Are you a peakbagger, or just an avid hiker? Do you love the outdoors, or hate being inside? Is it for the views, the forests,or its creatures within? Let's go a bit deeper..Do you hike to capture the ember-like fiery glow,like a sheet of copper hammered onto a sullen purple twilight, as the sun yields its daily conquest to the night? Or to catch the first rosy quartz pinkish morning hue? Do you hike to be alone, or to be with friends & family, old and new? Is it because you always have, or is it a recent revelation? Do you hike to remember, to honor, to cherish? Or do you hike to forget? Your losses, your pain? That which stalks you even into the night of your memory and mind? An attempt to vanquish, subdue, or if nothing else, to make it a bit more manageable? Its a question each must answer, and maybe, just maybe, some of us are still trying to figure it out. But, there is a reason, there is purpose. Why? In general, while there are exceptions to everything, hiking doesn't happen by accident.

I think it is due to the fact that in no other activity do we find such a reflection of life itself as we do in hiking. The two are synonomous. Consider. In order to climb we all start somewhere. A trailhead. We can't control the happenstance of birth no more than controlling where we start a hike if its somewhere we really want to go. Even bushwhackers have to start somewhere. Wherever we climb, we begin at a trailhead, maybe one not even to our liking.

As we hike we ascend gradually just like the first few delicate years of youth. We do encounter a few obstacles, a blowdown, slippery roots, anything that makes us stumble. But since its early on we have the vigor and vim of youth and we keep moving. We even literally and figuratively get our feet wet. All this time sheltered without realizing it. Above us the loving protection of steadfast trees, their parental branches to protect us, providing shadow and reflection. Keeping us safe from potential dangers. The valleys providing haven from blazing sun. Though concealed, we come to learn that there are forces that can harm us, but they haven't gotten to us, not yet.

Pass the trappens of adolescence we push on. Higher and higher. We are released like fledglings to be on our own. Which way are we going? Ah yes, the switchbacks of life. First we go one way, then we seemingly reverse course and go the other. On and on this interplay goes. All the time we are going higher. Time and distance pass without us even knowing it. Do we really know what we are doing? When the zigs and zags are done we may look back. We may wonder how crazy we looked changing directions like that, perhaps forlorn, thinking it could have been done another way, but alas, that part is over. We, for better or worse, move on.

Before we peak, one more obstacle. It is as applicable to a literal hike as it is to a symbolic one. The time we question ourselves in the big picture of life. The things we've done, the time and effort we've spent. That's right, the mid-life crisis. I used to think switchbacks epitomized it best, but they come earlier in life. Instead the mid-life crisis is like reaching treeline. We look around, sum up the situation, and decide, with everything at stake, if we really should continue this way. Are we tired? What am I doing here? Can I make it? Is this where I want to be? Has this been for naught? Course the problem with Owl's Head is that there is no treeline, but I think a slide that you have to ascend fits the bill rather nicely.

Eventually, as in life, the summit is achieved. Despite the trials we've encountered we're here. Indeed, some do get there faster than others, some don't have to experience as much pain or hardship as others do. But success, by whatever gauge, is achieved. It is enjoyed, allowed to permeate the whole of our senses. What a feeling.

Its all too easy to compare going downhill to the eventual decline that we as mortals must undergo. On the way down things hurt that didn't before. We may need assistance, like trekking poles, a means of support. Some things look familiar, albeit from a different angle, and some things we can't remember if our lives depended on it. But really, do we want to dwell on that? I think that's enough. Because in the end we gain accomplishment, a broad opening of our being, an appreciation. An everlasting feeling of comfort.

Think of all that Owl's Head has to offer. Indeed, it enhances many of the spices of life. When mixed together you have a wonderful recipe. To be enjoyed time and time again. A pinch of Adventure: Even if you stick to the traditional route advance through brook crossings and ascend and descend the slide. A dash of Bravado: Forget the traditional route. Try a selection of bushwhacks. A touch of the Unknown: Where on earth is that summit anyway? Unsure? Just walk the top enough to content yourself you made it. A heaping portion of Variety: Try it different ways. A grueling day hike or a more subtle, relaxed overnighter. A sprig of Risk: Well, OK, when is the last time you heard of someone dying on Owl's Head? Exactly. Let's be realistic. Its in a horseshoe bowl. Ever get lost in a cul-de-sac? Likely not. Plus the Pemi is to the south. But, if you do get lost, play it cool, keep your head, get your bearings. You'll find a way out. Hey-that's a lot like life isn't it? Just don't complain about there being no view. Don't worry about the things you can't see or get, instead, maybe we should all spend more time looking at what we do have right in front of us.

That's what makes Owl's Head unique. It charmingly claws its way to the heights above. Reaching the level to be counted worthy among its brethren. Like the youngest of siblings, achieving its peak in anonymity and scrappiness.

Like many, I'm truly thankful to have been exposed to hiking at a young age. Its a drive. A gear that cannot be registered. Its my release. When we think of what some will do, what they strive for, all that will supposedly bring meaning to their life, the frivolous attempts to answer the "why", all the lengths they will go. The vanity. The folly. Because the problem with life is, for some anyway, by the time they figure out what brings true happiness they are either too old or too tired to enjoy it. It passes them by. The years are then,all too few. Not so with hiking. It is never a wasted effort. It brings both meaning and satisfaction. The ability to reflect with complete confidence.Especially is this so with a hike to Owl's Head. Like all hikes, its one I don't regret.

Why?

Oh...come on...you already know the answer to that.

Here's a few pics. Sunday was dry, and well.. Monday was not.

http://fishercat.smugmug.com/gallery/8741574_ncGni#578291659_kTWDx

Agreed...Great beginning to the thread with your excellent reason to hike story..So many reasons..so many mountains..so little time..

I think we all find that unique combination of accomplishment..physical workout..the incredible zen of a solo peak..the comraderie that comes with pushing on with a group through mud or knee deep powder and sharing the moment at a summit..It's all good....

that being said..maybe its the magnetic personality..maybe the respect that white hair unjustly brings..maybe the guys are all working midweek and the ladies can take time off from their laundry chores and knitting to get out for a hike...lol ..but for most hikes I am on ladies outnumber the men 2-1.. today it was 4 guys to 7 ladies..we ran into and counted Motabobo to make it a bit more even..:<)

Last edited:
Agreed...Great beginning to the thread with your excellent reason to hike story..So many reasons..so many mountains..so little time..

I think we all find that unique combination of accomplishment..physical workout..the incredible zen of a solo peak..the comraderie that comes with pushing on with a group through mud or knee deep powder and sharing the moment at a summit..It's all good....

Ahh yes Silverfox back to the actual point at hand. Very well said and so very, very true!!!

Nice report!

P.S.,
Man has never successfully won a verbal fight with a woman since creation. I am a bit confused about the intent of the earlier part of this thread. All women are fantastic, smell great, and kick ass.

FisherCat, I apologize for contributing to the ridiculous thread drift.

You have a great post -- here are some of the reasons I hike:

Get me out into LIFE -- all that life around me, it recharges my batteries
I listen to the sounds of nature
I can complete a goal that can usually be met by the end of the day
it's great exercise
it puts me back in touch with myself

Reasons Alex hikes (there are probably others I don't know of, but here's a few that she's articulated): nature is beautiful, can see lots of slugs and sometimes frogs, beautiful views from the top, likes hiking through clouds, likes buttsliding in winter, likes to hear the birds singing, likes the flowers and the rocks and mud

<moderating>
Yikes, how did I miss this trainwreck. If people want to discuss the gender differences in hiking groups feel free to do so in a separate thread in General Backcountry. Please don't hijack trip reports for this type of discussion.

And, keep it civil. If someone posts something that you feel is absurd, then comment on the post, not the poster. Anything beyond that, report it to the mods.

If people want, I can take the deleted posts and put them all in a separate threads but I have work to do right now and that takes a while. Please be patient.
</moderating>

I notice that the base post here is waxing philosophical, so apparently women aren't the only ones who think beyond rocks and trees
I might add to Leaf's "48 great female climbers" that many of them are/were great authors of some of the best mountaineering literature of all time
This list is entirely irrelevant to the previous statement about women hiking solo.

Miriam O'Brien is the only one of these that I have recently read the autobiography of, and she did little if any solo hiking, preferring to travel with guides, other women, and later her husband and family. She specifically states that hiking with her husband was best so apparently the social aspect of hiking was important to her. While I can't speak for all of the other 47, surely most of them are famous for group activities.

I question where and how you got your data to conclude that more men hike than women,
I don't count the male/female ratio of hikers I meet but there are certainly more men where I go, for instance on my last White Mtn hike I met a group of ~40 male seminarians and no corresponding group of women. There may be trails somewhere that are more popular with women which perhaps could be proven by registers.

If you want some actual data, the latest Appalachian Trailway News has an analysis by a business school class of recent AT thru-hikers which concluded among other things that women take 10 days longer than men on average and that older people take longer than younger people. They offer to share their report with anyone interested but don't provide a website.

Last edited:
Are you a peakbagger, or just an avid hiker? Do you love the outdoors, or hate being inside? Is it for the views, the forests, or its creatures within? Do you hike to be alone, or to be with friends & family, old and new? Is it because you always have, or is it a recent revelation? Do you hike to remember, to honor, to cherish? Or do you hike to forget? . . . questions each must answer, and maybe, just maybe, some of us are still trying to figure it out. But, there is a reason, there is purpose . . . hiking doesn't happen by accident.
FisherCat, you’ve asked some very thought provoking questions, any one of which could be the subject of a stand-alone thread. Thanks for posting.

Your questions have given me a lot of “homework” to do. But, I’m grateful that your questions are multiple-choice, and that there is no right or wrong answer, and that the homework assignment will not be graded!;)

Nothing wrong with leavening a Trip Report with a little philosophy. Thoreau, for one, did that habitually. Here's a paragraph I like from his Journal (his voluminous diaries that he wrote with no apparent view to publication):

"... in the distant woods or fields, in unpretending sprout-lands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day, like this, when a villager would be thinking of his inn, I come to myself, I once more feel myself grandly related, and that cold and solitude are friends of mine. I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing and prayer. I come home to my solitary woodland walk as the homesick go home. I thus dispose of the superfluous and see things as they are, grand and beautiful. I have told many that I walk every day about half the daylight, but I think they do not believe it. I wish to get the Concord, the Massachusetts, the America, out of my head and be sane a part of every day."
- Thoreau's Journal, January 7, 1857

As to Owl's Head, however, despite your skilled special pleading, I'd rather look it at, from Galehead or Garfield, for instance, than climb it again.:)

Wow, I don't know what I missed but that will learn me from posting and then runnin out to do Isolation, which by the way failed to do, Rocky Branch & Isolation crossings movin to fast for our comfort...anyway...

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Choose one:

• I am, therefore I hike.
  • I hike, therefore I am.
  • I sure like hiking.

Choose one:

• I am, therefore I hike.
  • I hike, therefore I am.
  • I sure like hiking.

Or be happy that all three are justly accounted for!

Fishercat, excellent post with great reflections and analogies. Owl's Head is one I have done and once almost completed under several of the rationale that you gave. The "almost" trip was solo in bitter cold and deep storms with just a $20 dollar summer tent and not another soul for many miles. I have to admit this was the most gratifying journey out there and the one that beckons me back to the place! Truly enjoy your posts and the way this one started, philosophically begging an answer without casting judgement on the merit of any reasoning! Happy trails and hope to make your acquaintance one day soon!;)

What great stuff! Thank you, Dave Bear; thank you, Fisher Cat; thank you Neil (who always make me laugh).

Hell, even Wu makes me grateful sometimes ("but imagine my surprise...").

Who says this board doesn't grow?