Wildlife report -- Tongue Mt. and Lake George

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat T

Reaction score
We didn't do much hiking yesterday (Saturday, August 14) but did get to spend the entire day on and near Lake George. There were two special highlights to the day.

While sitting on West Dollar Island (in the narrows and in the shadow of the Tongue Mt. range), I caught a glimpse of a large bird with a white tail--and a white head! A beautiful bald eagle flew down to the lake right in front of me. We spotted it a while later, soaring in the lee of First Peak and then landing on the top of a distant pine tree. Keep an eye out for it if you are in the area.

Later in the afternoon, while boating through the Mother Bunch islands, I saw what first appeared to be a pair of mergansers. They were floating kind of low in the water so we slowed down to get a better look. Turned out to be a pair of loons! We did not approach them but were able to watch from a distance.

We spend a lot of time on Lake George but these birds were first time sightings for us--very exciting.

The day was capped off with the most beautiful sunset. The high clouds that preceeded tropical storm Charley glowed in the sky for a very long time after sunset.

Pat T

We were also impressed by the sunset while driving home on Saturday. The whole western sky was in flames.

Aren't loons beautiful? There seemed to be a lot more of them in Rangeley this year too, including a few mothers with two chicks.

There have been a lot of sightings of Eastern Timber Rattlesnakes along the Montcalm Point Trail also.