Winter gear list critique

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onestep

Reaction score
The following is my winter peak bagging / bushwhacking gear list. What I am not wearing from the list is carried in my pack. I tend to use the same gear regardless of conditions and typically do not add or subtract to suit the weather or terrain.

I’m looking for constructive criticism, comments, praise, advice, and amusement.

Let the games begin;

Pack – 3000ci (Gregory Z)
Snowshoes (MSR Denali Ascent)
Crampons (Grivel G10)
Hiking poles (Black Diamond Flic-loc’s)
2 Headlamps (Petzl MYO3 belt, and a Petzl Tikka for backup)
2 or 3 Nalgenes (1 on outside of pack in bottle cozy)
Small first aid kit
Map
2 compasses (one hanging from a lanyard around my neck, the other in my pack)
GPS
Small knife, matches, TP, fire starter.
4 pair of mittens (Mercury Mitt – Dachstein wool – Double Fleece – Double Wool)
1 w/b non-insulated over mitt (Black Diamond Mercury Mitt shell)
2 pair liner gloves
2 pair heavy socks
1 light weight base layer top
1 med weight base layer top
1 med weight base layer bottom
1 wind shirt (Marmot Driclime)
1 fleece vest
1 Primaloft jacket (Go Lite Coal)
1 Down jacket (EMS Glacier)
1 w/b Shell (Marmot Mainline)
1 w/b Pants (Marmot Precip w/full side zips)
1 pair Boots (Columbia Bugaboo)
1 light fleece hat
1 fleece balaclava
1 face mask (OR Windproof balaclava w/breathing port)
1 pair Goggles
Camera
and a sense of adventure!

Typical pack weight including food / water / snowshoes / crampons = 25lbs

Onestep

I like the list. Seems like you will be prepared for anything. The only thing I would throw in is an emergency blanket. One of that can be used as a blanket or a tarp. Also a repair kit for snowshoes etc...Other than that looks good.

My list is similar.
Things I don't carry that you list:
I only carry 1 headlamp (Black Diamond Zenix IQ with extra lithium batteries),
1 compass and GPS (my watch has an electronic compass, but I wouldn't count that)
I carry 2 or 3 pairs of gloves
1 pair of liners.
a down jacket, but I carry an extra fleece pullover.
spare base layer.

Things I carry that you don't have on your list:
(2) large garbage bags (can be used as emergency shelter/rain protection/VBL)
Small roll of duct tape
lighter
foil emergency blanket
handwarmers
50 ft of nylon cord
pair of shoe laces
bandana

Questions:
Why do you carry both a waterproof top and a wind shirt? I figure my EMS Thunderhead jacket can serve double duty.
If you carry two compasses why don't you carry a spare map?

Last edited:
imarchant said:
Questions:
Why do you carry both a waterproof top and a wind shirt? I figure my EMS Thunderhead jacket can serve double duty.
I like to wear my Driclime over a thin base layer. This provides me the same warmth as a single mid weight layer but adds wind protection and better ventilation (full length zip exposing thin layer). When things get really wet (bustin through snow laden spruce) or REALLY windy, or I just need a little added warmth, I then put on the W/B Shell.

imarchant said:
If you carry two compasses why don't you carry a spare map?
Probably cause I've never lost a map :D :D

imarchant said:
Things I don't carry that you list:
I only carry 1 headlamp (Black Diamond Zenix IQ with extra lithium batteries),
Headlamps can fail in ways that are not field repairable and it is nice to have light to try to work on it or change batteries, if need be. I may carry an IQ as my main light (it is a pretty good headlamp, IMO), but also add one or two PTec Auroras which are simpler, light, and bright enough to hike a decently marked trail.

Caver's rule: carry 3 independent sources of light.

Doug

snowshoe said:
Also a repair kit for snowshoes etc...Other than that looks good.

Duct tape! A shoestring and a few yards of duct tape can fix a snow shoe. I blew one out and would've been really screwed without it. Looks kind of ugly, but works fine.

Take a water bottle and wrape a half-inch or so of duct tape around it. I've fixed my BD poles, a tent pole, the aforementioned snow shoes, and my climbing skins with it.

Duct tape & emergency blanket

Good suggestions... I think some duct tape and at least a mylar blanket will find it's way into my pack!

dug said:
Take a water bottle and wrape a half-inch or so of duct tape around it.
I start with a ~4 inch section of tape and keep wrapping the tape around it until I have enough. Makes a nice flat package which stows well with my emergency supplies.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Headlamps can fail in ways that are not field repairable and it is nice to have light to try to work on it or change batteries, if need be. I may carry an IQ as my main light (it is a pretty good headlamp, IMO), but also add one or two PTec Auroras which are simpler, light, and bright enough to hike a decently marked trail.

Caver's rule: carry 3 independent sources of light.

Doug
If I was planning to be out after dark I agree a back-up light should be carried. The diffrence between what I carry and the original list seems, to me, that I hope that I am a little more prepared to spend the night. The original list has equipment that would be better to oneself keep moving. The problem with that is, if you find youself in a situation where you can't move on you still need the survival gear. Note: the diffrence are minor and I would hope either of us could survive a night out.

looks like a nice list. I would definitely keep your extra headlamp. I like what you say about the marmot driclimb..i hear good things about that. I wonder if its still made and where to order it. google, here i come.

I like the extra light, I carry a mini-mag for the extra + spare batteries.

I may have missed it but I don't see an insulation layer for your bottom, just the base & shell. Again if you can't move or moving is really slow, they would be nice to have. (I carry mine & really have not used them as expected but that is because so far I have not had to spend any unplanned time sitting still knock knock) In winter I prefer a heavy ER bag than the small ER blankets but I admit to carrying more than average, alot more than the lightweight crowd.

For the snowshoe repair kit, I carry five plastic zip ties (about 12 inches long) that I believe I read about here. I also carry about two feet of stiff wire in case I need to repair my crampon toe/heel bails or help if the bolt gets lost.

If the weather is promising, I also carry sunglasses/glacier glasses.

Jim

imarchant said:
If I was planning to be out after dark I agree a back-up light should be carried.
I often get back to the car after dark when day hiking and therefore generally carry the full compliment of lights.

I think my "best" is getting back to the car at 2:30 am in winter. (I had been hoping on getting back to the car around 10-11pm.)

Doug

hikerfast said:
lI like what you say about the marmot driclimb..i hear good things about that. I wonder if its still made and where to order it. google, here i come.

I wear my Marmot Driclime in the same way Onestep does. I love it! They definitely still sell them and they remain quite popular.

Here is one place to get it. You might get a better deal somewhere else, of course:
Marmot Driclime

Regards,
Marty

Do you need the Coal and a down jacket? What about swapping the down jacket for some primaloft pants and some down booties or a half bag? Maybe a cheap bivi bag?
I assume i'm going to keep walking unless I break my leg, pelvis, ect and then I don't think i'll be able to move around enough to keep a fire going.

I am thinking of buying a Therma-Lite emergency bivy sack and an Emergency tube tent (its not perfect, but I figure it could be the basis for a good snow shelter at least.)

Any comments on those items?

I also carry two headlamps. A ZenixIQ (seems like everyone loves them :D ) and an Energizer LED I got at Wally world (thanks to Arghmans suggestion in another thread!) 2 Compasses as well. Got the GPS, but that I consider a toy....compasses and maps don't run out of battery power ;) . I also have a mini survival kit with all kinds of simple things that might be handy in dire conditions.

Brian

HAMTERO said:
Do you need the Coal and a down jacket? What about swapping the down jacket for some primaloft pants and some down booties or a half bag? Maybe a cheap bivi bag?
I use the Coal jacket during rest stops. I've never used the down jacket! I guess it's my security blanket but I like your options to take it's place.

HAMTERO said:
I assume i'm going to keep walking unless I break my leg, pelvis, ect and then I don't think i'll be able to move around enough to keep a fire going.
I feel the same way. I'm not even sure I could get inside a bivy bag if I broke a leg, let alone gather wood and build a fire...but you never know!
Mike P. said:
I may have missed it but I don't see an insulation layer for your bottom, just the base & shell. Again if you can't move or moving is really slow, they would be nice to have.
I use to carry a pair of heavy fleece pants, but, I never used them. So far as long as I keep rest stops short my legs keep warm enough with the mid weight base layer & shell pants. Last week in the ADK's it was -10 to start and warmed up to +5. I wore my midweight layer over a light weight layer plus shell pants. I was almost too warm.

You have enough if you keep moving, what if you can't move? Seems there is two camps with several options within the two.

1.) pack sleeping bag & bivy (or more) so if you get cold, you stop & set up camp.

2.) You pack extra warm clothes so if you have to slow down, or stop you layer up, (because you or a party member sprains an ankle making quick travel impossible or if you have to stop, you stuff extra clothes in a bivy sack or ER blanket taped closed (or wear the clothing inside)

I prefer option two because IMO, most injuries that occur are minor & just involve twists, cuts, trip & falls with bruises, maybe a sprain. These cause the travel time to increase & add some minor discomfort (along with overly ambitious planning or slightly underestimating conditions, most people don't jump in way over their head, just slightly - in winter that might be enough) The injuries & route finding error we hear about are more severe. For instance had the Lafayette climber gone down Garfield Ridge to Skookumchuck & decided opps, I messed up, I'll go down here, this likely would have been a non-rescue/issue

You should have enough gear to survive a night outside if necessary, not that you are planning on it. (In theory I guess we could all sleep - or stay out in our yards tonigth to test our gear, I admit I haven't done that but I believe I have enough for that. The Bivy sack I have is the Terma Lite one mentioned above.) In summer an outer shell layer may be enough, maybe a fleece also for an uncomfortable but safe night out.

Do you think you have enough to last a night out faily immobile at 10 degrees? How about -10? Can you convince your wife/SO/Mom that you do?

onestep said:
Pack – 3000ci (Gregory Z)

Crampons (Grivel G10)

Hiking poles (Black Diamond Flic-loc’s)

You bushwhack with a Z and haven't shredded it yet? Isn't that the sil-nylon one? I like the idea of the pack but never got too interested b/c I need something that stands up to the thrashing that you know well. Does it really stand up to the abuse?

I find poles to be horrendous while bushwhacking. I rarely find I want them and when you stow them they end up getting caught on everything imaginable.

I can't recall ever wanting crampons while bushwhacking but I suppose if you don't ever want to have to adjust your kit based on terrain then you need to include them.

I like carrying double maps, too. I haven't lost one yet but when I do...

The sense of adventure is the most important thing to carry! The less you carry, the more you need it...

Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me.