Winter hiking- what do you carry in your pack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSettahr

Reaction score
This is a post that I made to the ADKHighPeaks. I was asked to post it here as well.

I was asked via PM to put together a list of the gear I carry in winter. I figured I'd share it with the community in general. Feel free to post your own lists- the "what's in your pack" thread from a few weeks back seemed pretty popular. This is the same idea, but for winter instead of summer.

Pack:

I use a 3000 cubic inch mountaineering pack from Lowe-Alpine. What makes it a mountaineering pack is that it's got a lot of attachment points to run straps through for gear. It's also got a reinforced pad on the back of the pack so that crampons won't accidentally rip through the pack material. Inside the pack is a waterproof pack liner that keeps everything dry.

• Pack
    • Lowe Alpine 3000 cubic inch mountaineering pack
  • Pack Liner
    • Sea-to-summmit waterproof pack liner

Clothing:

I subscribe to the layering system. Ideally, your base/wicking layers, insulating layers, and waterproof layers will be separate articles of clothing. I generally hike with only my base and waterproof layers on. In most conditions, I find that I generate enough heat with just these two layers to not need insulating layers as long as I keep moving. So the insulating layers stay in my pack until I need them.

In terms of hand and head-wear, I carry enough that I can completely cover myself from head to toe to protect myself from the elements. I carry both heavy mittens and light gloves, mittens are far warmer but gloves make it easier to do tasks that require dexterity.

My footwear is defined by the activity I'm participating in. In general, I wear boots with removable liners, either plastic mountaineering boots, or sorel pacs. Boots with removable liners tend to be warmer, and on overnight trips I can sleep with the liners, which makes putting my boots back on the next morning a lot easier. I'm thinking about investing in mickeys though, which are military boots with waterproof lining both on the exterior of the boot as well as inside the boot, which keeps the insulation dry. Crampons don't work well with pacs, which have little ankle support, and plastic mountaineering boots are usually overkill, and mickeys seem like they might be a good middle ground for winters in the Adirondack High Peaks. If I'm skiing, then I'll wear insulated ski boots instead.

I also carry a complete change of my base layers in case of emergency.

• Base Layers
    • Synthetic t-shirt
    • Synthetic long sleeve longjohn top
    • Synthetic underwear
    • Synthetic longjohn bottoms
  • Insulating Layers (I generally keep these in my pack unless I need them)
    • Fleece pants
    • Hooded fleece shirt
    • Fleece vest (optional)
    • Down jacket
  • Waterproof Outer Layers
    • Goretex jacket
    • Goretex bibs
    • Goretex gators
  • Head-wear
    • Wool cap
    • Wool ushanka (hat with the ear flaps)
    • Fleece balaclava (optional)
    • Face mask
    • Ski goggles
  • Hand-wear
    • Fleece gloves
    • Mountaineering mittens
  • Socks
    • Base layer- thin wool socks
    • Outer layer- thick wool socks
  • Boots
    • Either plastic mountaineering boots, sorel pacs, or insulated ski boots depending on the conditions
  • Spare clothing
    • Complete change of base layers and socks, carried inside the pack for emergencies

Flotation/Traction/Climbing Aids:

These stay strapped to the exterior of the pack until I need them. I use mountaineering snowshoes (MSR Denali Evo Ascents). I generally carry the tails- they are nice to have when breaking trail (even if it's a bit awkward wearing them).

My crampon selection depends on my footwear- if I'm wearing pac boots, I'll bring the BD Contact, which has a generic binding that will fit any boot. If I'm wearing plastic mountaineering boots, I'll bring the BD sabretooth, which has a "snap on" binding similar to downhill ski bindings, and works only with rigid mountaineering boots that have toe and heel welts.

Skis are optional- I only bring them if I know there's going to be a relatively easy approach that is skiiable (like Lake Road in the Ausable Club).

I usually carry the ice ax. There is little need for it in the High Peaks, but it's sometimes nice to have on the steeper trails, especially if they haven't been broken out yet. I would definitely make sure you know how to use one properly before you ever carry it in the woods.

Occasionally I carry microspikes. They are generally necessary more in the late Fall than they are during winter. They are nice to have in icy conditions on flat ground (i.e., approach hikes to the base of the mountain).

• Snowshoes
    • MSR Denali Evo Ascents
    • Evo Ascent tails
  • Skis
    • Alpina backcountry skis (optional)
  • Crampons
    • Black Diamond Contacts or Sabretooths, depending on conditions/footwear
  • Other
    • Collapsible trekking poles with snow baskets
    • Black Diamond raven pro ice ax
    • Microspikes (optional)

Water:

I usually carry 3-5 liters of water. 5 is a lot, but it forces me to drink it to get the weight down, which helps keep me hydrated (and warm). I mix powdered drink mixes into water that I plan to drink later in the day, as this helps keep it from freezing solid (and gives me a few extra calories). Hot chocolate is primarily for lunch or the middle of the day if I'm not eating lunch.

I always keep water easily accessible, so that I don't have to take my pack off to get to it.

• Water
    • 1-2 nalgenes of water
    • 1-2 nalgenes of water and powdered drink mix
    • 2-4 EMS water bottle coozies, strapped to the waist belt of my pack for easy access
  • Hot chocolate
    • Thermos
    • Milk chocolate hot chocolate (prepared prior to the hike)

Food:

I try to eat a good breakfast before starting my hike (usually oatmeal with chili, re-fried beans, cheese, and hot sauce). I generally try not to eat my lunch all in one sitting, as I find I get cold while eating, and I think it's better to consume small amounts of calories more often throughout the day than it is to consume a large lunch in the middle of the day. I carry enough trail mix to snack on during the day, and enough to last me a day or two in case of emergency.

• Lunch
    • 2 large chicken salad sandwiches with hot sauce, dried cranberries, and cheese
  • Trail mix
    • 1 gallon ziplock bag inside my pack for emergencies
    • 1 quart ziplock bag in a jacket pocket for easy access during the day

Navigation:

Map and compass are self-explanatory, and both usually reside in a jacket pocket for easy access. GPS is mainly for emergencies, and usually stays inside my pack.

Most of my winter hikes start and end in the dark, so the headlamp is imperative. It usually stays on my head all day, or around my neck when not in use.

• Navigational Aids
    • Up to date topographic map
    • Compass
    • GPS
  • Nighttime hiking
    • Black Diamond Icon headlamp

Continued...

In Case of Emergency:

I generally carry a standard first aid kit, which I don't modify in any way for winter. IMO, the two biggest winter injuries of concern (cold-related injuries and sprains/strains/fractures) are going to be better treated with other items in your pack, rather than what's in your first aid kit.

I do carry a cell phone, but in no way do I rely on it. Instead, I leave my itinerary with a trust worth person, who knows to contact the DEC if I haven't checked in by a certain time (usually 11 pm).

I do carry lighters, but I don't place much emphasis on fires as an emergency tool- they can be difficult to start in winter, and may result in a lot of wasted time and energy with little or no benefit. IMO, backcounty hikers in the winter need to be prepared to handle emergencies without the aid of fire. In an emergency situation, my main priority would be shelter, followed by water and food, and then fire after those have been taken care of.

Overnight gear, such as stoves, sleeping bags, etc., will add a significant amount of weight to your pack. I honestly don't always carry stuff like this- generally only if I'm going someplace really remote (like Allen or Cliff and Redfield). I used to carry a canister stove, until I did an experiment to see how well it would work in winter. A full canister lasted only about 10 minutes before the stove stopped working due to the cold- barely long enough to heat a cup of water to lukewarm temperatures! If I carry them, the sleeping bag and bivy sack are meant only to supplement the clothing I'm already carrying.

• First Aid Kit
    • Adventure Medical Kits first aid kit
  • Communication
    • Cell phone
  • Fire
    • 2 lighters
  • Stove (Optional)
    • MSR Whisperlite stove
    • 1 small (11 ounce) bottle of white gas
    • Small metal cup for heating water
  • Overnight Gear (Optional)
    • Summer sleeping bag (35 degree rating)
    • Outdoor Research bivy sack

Overnight Gear:

For winter overnights, my day pack typically remains the same. All overnight gear is packed in waterproof bags, and pulled on a sled which is attached to my pack.

There are a lot of subtleties that can make a winter overnight a lot easier or harder depending on if they are addressed, but that's probably a subject worth of it's own thread. Here's a list of the gear I carry for overnights in addition to my day pack, though:

• Transportation
    • Backpacking pulk, made from a plastic sled, rope, PVC pipes, and carabiners
  • Sleeping gear
    • Winter sleeping bag (rated to -20 degrees) (synthetic, which I generally recommend for those starting out in winter camping, if I get a second winter bag it will definitely be down)
    • Sea-to-Summit sleeping bag liner
    • Vapor barrier liner (optional, more important to have for longer duration trips)
    • 2 liter water bottle for peeing in (must be this size to easily be distinguished from drinking water, also to prevent overflowing)
  • Shelter
    • OR bivy sack
    • Nylon tarp
    • Rope (for erecting tarp)
    • Collapsible shovel (for making snow walls, shelters, etc.)
  • Clothing
    • Down booties
    • NEOS waterproof overboots
    • Extra clothing as necessitated by the length of trip (For overnights, I generally don't carry much extra clothing in addition to what I carry for a day trip, but for longer trips that are 3 nights or more I might pack an extra pair of long underwear, socks, hats/gloves, fleece, etc, just in case)
  • Stove
    • MSR Whisperlite (for up to 3 people, groups of 4-6 need 2 stoves, 6+ need 3 stoves)
    • 11 ounces of white gas per person per day (really important to have this much especially if you're melting snow for drinking water and/or heating water to put in your sleeping bag at night)
    • Cook set
  • Water
    • Fuel funnel/filter (helpful for filtering debris out of melted snow)
  • Food
    • 4,000 calories per person per day
    • Breakfast: Instant oatmeal or grits with dehydrated chili, dehydrated re-fried beans, hot sauce
    • Lunch: Tortillas, cheese, pepperoni, hot sauce
    • Dinner: Instant pasta/rice mixes, with dehydrated vegetables, hot sauce
    • Butter (for mixing with everything)
    • Plenty of trail mix for snacking throughout the day
    • Tea/Hot chocolate for all meals (made in the morning and stored in a thermos for lunch)
  • Sanity
    • A good book to read at night

I'm sure I'm missing something, but that's everything I can think of right now... :)

Fantastic list. Good work and thanks.

Most important thing for me in the winter is being in great shape, I'm mean really good (which I'm not currently), getting an EARLY start (plan to be out by 2pm) and hiking with others who over pack !

The list above, while quite thorough, might seem intimidating for someone considering whether he or she wishes to pursue this further. What smaller lists of items do people feel is sufficient for the introduction to winter hiking? Pointers to existing lists are also welcome - like if meetup groups or AMC groups have a minimum equipment checklist.

I know that my first official winter trip was Lincoln, and I wore summer hiking pants over cycling tights. In fact, for most of the first year and part of the second, I relied on existing winter cycling and XC skiing layers. If your trip is not too steep or too exposed and there is good snow cover, then snowshoes are sufficient in the traction/floatation department. Probably the most important up-front purchase (or rental) is insulated hiking boots and snowshoes (and winter gaiters, if you don't already have tall ones.)

What do you think?

Tim

Sectionhiker.com has a post on Winter Hiking on a budget which details ways you can save $$$.

I hike and camp below tree line and, as a result, I have been able to use my 3 season tent rather than a true winter tent. Sometimes I have to get up and brush off snow accumulations.

Wintercampers.com is another good resource.

I've read many people say they just use base layers and the normal pants they'd use the rest of the year. I do have some of the EMS Shell cargo pants that look to be more like snowboarding pants. I bought them during a huge sale last spring for sledding/snowmen with the kids (back when winter hiking wasn't even considered). Was curious if anyone uses something like this? Possibly just use a lighter base layer or are these not good for high aerobic activity?

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3938780&lmdn=Brand

Sectionhiker.com has a post on Winter Hiking on a budget which details ways you can save $$$.

I hike and camp below tree line and, as a result, I have been able to use my 3 season tent rather than a true winter tent. Sometimes I have to get up and brush off snow accumulations.

Wintercampers.com is another good resource.

Part of what makes a 4 season tent a 4 season tent isn't just durability/strength. 4 season tents also have air vents high up to allow for continued air circulation even in a snowstorm. Without these air vents, a 3 season tent can lose air circulation if enough snow falls to bury the tent, leading to increased condensation, and possibly CO2 issues as well.

I personally just use a tarp year round.

I've read many people say they just use base layers and the normal pants they'd use the rest of the year. I do have some of the EMS Shell cargo pants that look to be more like snowboarding pants. I bought them during a huge sale last spring for sledding/snowmen with the kids (back when winter hiking wasn't even considered). Was curious if anyone uses something like this? Possibly just use a lighter base layer or are these not good for high aerobic activity?

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3938780&lmdn=Brand

You do have to be careful with sledding/skiing pants, because sometimes they have added insulation, which will result in increased sweating if you try to use them for hiking. The pair you linked to doesn't seem to have this, though- rather it's just a waterproof shell, so I think they'd be fine.

As for hiking in winter with just "normal hiking pants" with an added base layer, IMO, this is ill-advised. You're going to want a waterproof shell, or else you will get soaking wet when the snow sticks to your pants and then melts from the warmth of your body.

If the day is a mild one, as we sometimes get in March, I wear the standard nylon zip off pants without anything else. They do a reasonable job shedding snow and water, and if I do take a spill, I brush them off. Sometimes I wear cycling tights underneath of additional warmth. In colder weather, I have a pair of Mountain Hardwear pants that are kind of softshell-like, and do a decent job of shedding snow. When it's really windy or wet, I wear either Swix ski warmup pants, or my EMS System 3 rain pants.

I've looked and looked for a good pair of winter pants that are waterproof and vented (zippered) and they are hard to find locally. The Patagonia Guide series seems to be popular with some people, but they are not cheap and I would like to try on a pair before buying them.

Tim

All my winter hiking has been done using zip off nylon pants with a long underwear layer underneath. Being a larger hiker, I get warm easily and this allows me to keep from sweating as much on my lower half. I always wear tall gaiters though if there is snow, so that keeps the lower half of my legs out of the snow. I have never had a problem with them or had my lower half get noticeably cold. If I keep my upper body warm, my lower body seems fine. I will admit that if I were to sit on a cold rock or on the snow without a layer under me for a long time, I am sure my backside would get cold. I also don't imagine these would be the best if I had a problem and was stuck on the trail in the winter for an extended period of time.

I have meant to get more wind/snow proof pants for winter hiking, but haven't found anything in my size that feels comfortable and that I think won't eventually burst at the seems. While my waist is big, my thighs tend to be tight in even the largest size winter pants the stores I have been in carry.

One thing I've done in winter to my undergarments is cut my long johns to just above the knee and I wear knee I socks designed for skiing that have extra padding on the shin area. I just don't like the confined feeling I've had when the knee can't bend as freely and find this system keeps me warm and gives me freedom to move.

Curious, Ellen. Some pants advertise an articulated knee. I have cycling leg warmers with a bend in them for the knee. I have cycling tights that do not, and I never felt my movements restricted, and my legs go around about 85 times/minute. In fact, I'm not sure I really notice any pulling, straining or restricted movements at all when riding in either. A big step up though and I definitely feel hiking pants snugging up.

Actually, from the TMI department, this winter I noticed that hair on my legs had been rubbed off because I hiked many times per week. Tight-fiitting cycling tights, which I have worn much more frequently, have never caused this condition.

When I cross-country ski, I like to wear some sort of shorts over a pair of cycling tights - provides just enough warmth and in case of a fall, protects the backside from getting too wet. I guess this combo with tall gaiters would leave about 4-6 inches above/below the knee with just one layer.

Tim

Curious, Ellen. Some pants advertise an articulated knee. I have cycling leg warmers with a bend in them for the knee. I have cycling tights that do not, and I never felt my movements restricted, and my legs go around about 85 times/minute. In fact, I'm not sure I really notice any pulling, straining or restricted movements at all when riding in either. A big step up though and I definitely feel hiking pants snugging up.

Actually, from the TMI department, this winter I noticed that hair on my legs had been rubbed off because I hiked many times per week. Tight-fiitting cycling tights, which I have worn much more frequently, have never caused this condition.

When I cross-country ski, I like to wear some sort of shorts over a pair of cycling tights - provides just enough warmth and in case of a fall, protects the backside from getting too wet. I guess this combo with tall gaiters would leave about 4-6 inches above/below the knee with just one layer.

Tim

It might just be me. I don't really like anything around me knees/elbows. Now most of my gear is either stretchy or articulated so it might not be the problem it was when I took scissors to my expensive underwear. (I don't like my toes confined, either.)

Here's what I carry: https://picasaweb.google.com/102470229665583617112/Gear - not quite as wordy :) Thanks, DSettahr, for kicking off the winter gear topic 2012.

Tim

Anybody who has a winter gear list that include Columbia Ice Dragons is fine by me! :) I went up Mt. Washington a couple weekends ago with winds at 39mph, 16 degrees and a windchill of 7 degrees below zero. So what did I have on? For my legs I had medium-weight synthetic underwear and nylon pants over them. For the top I had medium-weight underwear top [long sleeve], synthetic long sleeve shirt [Ex-Officio], fleece vest and a gore-tex hardshell. I had a hat and neck gaiter with my hardshell hood over my head. [Some guys had a balaclava and face mask instead of a neck gaiter]. I had my mittens with handwarmers inside. On my feet were winter insulated boots. I had microspikes but if we had more snow I would have brought my snowshoes and winter gaiters. In my pack I had my down sweater for when I stopped along with some emergency gear. I was comfortable throughout.

Last edited:
I've had great luck with REI's Mistral pants. They're a softshell material, versatile and reasonable. They've gone up this year to $99, and are available in 2 inseam lengths for both men and women. Like other softshell material, they wear like iron, look good for lots of different activities, and are comfortable to travel in. I have about 4 pairs of them, and they're all I take when traveling for trousers as they'll work for nearly any activity. They work in temps from now thru spring. Unless it's truly cold, I don't need long johns - I just wear those and carry MH Converse (I think that's the model) shell pants in the event it's windy and/or colder than forecast. In truly cold weather I do wear longjohns and 3-ply Goretex bibs with full zips.

The Mistral's are wind-resistent, so I can wear them above treeline on most days. I don't worry too much about wetness in winter, as after all - it is winter, and stuff is frozen. Tall gaiters take care of most issues where it's likely to be wet.

REI makes a similar pant called the Acme which is made from Schoeller® Dryskin, for $169, which is cheap for Schoeller. The pants are well-made and a good value if you really want Schoeller® Dryskin. However, it seems that the Dryskin is not quite the same as it was 10-12 years ago, and I don't find them worth the extra money. I find the Mistral's are every bit as good and versatile over the same temperature ranges, and a tad more comfortable.

Not being super human like others , or being incapable of error like others, I carry enough gear to get me back to the trailhead; be it that day or the next. I carry what I feel comfortable carrying. Others have their own level of comfort, which is their decision and no one else’s.

Dittos Mad River. "An ounce of prevention".....we know the rest.:)

Not being super human like others , or being incapable of error like others, I carry enough gear to get me back to the trailhead; be it that day or the next. I carry what I feel comfortable carrying. Others have their own level of comfort, which is their decision and no one else’s.

Care to elaborate for our non-clairvoyant aspiring winter 2012 hikers? I get asked this question a lot, personally, hence the gear photos. It's the right time of year and it is being discussed in multiple places. In particular, I get asked "well, do I really need all that stuff?" and of course the answer is "it depends". A lot the questions come from fellow XC skiers and/or cyclists. I used a lot of stuff from those two activities when I first got started.

Tim

Care to elaborate for our non-clairvoyant aspiring winter 2012 hikers?

I can't answer for MadRiver, but when I read his comment, it seems pretty clear, You should bring the items you need to survive being benighted. It is up to you to decide what those items are based on your own willingness to accept risk. So a sleeping bag and and stove might be considered optional to you but might be considered mandatory to someone else.

I typically hike alone and so I bring the gear I would need if I were immobilized and had to wait for the cavalry to arrive. I am still trying to figure out if the NH F&G considers hiking alone in the winter off trail to be in violation of Hike Safe.

Good lists, I got a few good ideas. My only addition is what NOT to carry.

ego
stubborness
ignorance
false confidence
an agressive agenda

Know your limits. If you can't walk 10 miles easily on flat land then why in the world do you think you can climb up and down mountains all day in the winter?