Winter hiking- what do you carry in your pack?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's try a different angle... suppose your friend, colleague, etc., says "Hey <your name>, I'd like to get into winter hiking ... can you take me out on one of your trips this winter? What do I need? I don't want to buy very much though, in case I don't like it."

So, how do you answer this question?

Tim

Since my clothing options are somewhat unique, it wouldn’t translate well to others. Let’s just say that I always carry micro/crampons/snowshoes for traction and safety. Aside from the normal change of clothing that I routinely do throughout the course of a hike, I also carry a complete change of clothing for emergencies, coupled with a bivy sack for shelter.

Since I sweat a lot, I carry multiple hats/mittens/glove liners. I switch off throughout the hike so my head and hands are always warm and dry.
My first aid kit/satchel (including Head lamps and a map/compass) is rather large regardless of the season, though hand/foot/body warmers are thrown in during the winter months.

On longer hikes where I will be miles from a road or help (e.g. Bonds traverse), I will carry a 0 down bag and stove.

Water is the heaviest item that I carry so I usually start out with 2/3 liters of water and carry a filter, though I realize that it is a one shot deal since it will freeze right after I use it.

One additional item I will throw in my pack, though this is trail condition dependent, is a 60 foot 7mm accessory cord.

For years this setup has worked for me and I do not advocate that others follow suit. Each person must make their own decision on what works well for them.

Each person must make their own decision on what works well for them.

I agree 100% that what you carry is a decision that must be made by each individual hiker, and that each hiker needs to be responsible for themselves (especially in winter).

However, part of being able to make appropriate choices is having adequate information upon which to base your decisions. For those who are new to a particular outdoor activity, gear lists are, IMO, a good resource on which to start building experience.

I never said that my list was the end all list of winter hiking. Part of the reason why I encouraged others to post their lists was because I knew that no two lists would be the same. If we get as many forum members as possible contributing to this thread, than that will be that much more information for folks to view and use in making their own decisions on what to carry.

And no matter how much experience you have in the woods, there is always more to learn. Even if you've got a well developed system that works great for you, I'm sure there are ways to make it even better. At worst, even if you don't learn anything from the thread, is there any harm in contributing and participating in the discussion so that others may benefit? I should certainly hope not! :)

Let's try a different angle... suppose your friend, colleague, etc., says "Hey <your name>, I'd like to get into winter hiking ... can you take me out on one of your trips this winter? What do I need? I don't want to buy very much though, in case I don't like it."

Tim

I usually change the subject. Seriously, I'm just not cut out to initiate people into the activity.

I always carry a big down parka (Marmot Baffin) a pair of Patagonia Puff Pants and synthetic booties with overcovers. I figure if I get stuck out overnight they'll keep me alive with all my toes. I have carried a 40 bag and sleeping pad but not often.

If I exclude clothing from "gear" I don't carry much gear per se. Extra headlamps always. Depending on the hike: micros and/or crampons and ice axe.

"It depends on what your definition of 'winter' is." :)

Among us soloists who don't let the weather turn us back too often, the list will usually look a lot like DSettahr's. (Except he's nuts about that sleeping under a tarp stuff. ;) )

However, part of being able to make appropriate choices is having adequate information upon which to base your decisions. For those who are new to a particular outdoor activity, gear lists are, IMO, a good resource on which to start building experience.
Absolutely true - an I am attempting to facilitate a discussion to extract adequate information.
I never said that my list was the end all list of winter hiking. Part of the reason why I encouraged others to post their lists was because I knew that no two lists would be the same.
Your list is awesome and probably as complete a list as anyone could want. It is, however, intimidating for someone looking to give this a try. I know that winter hiking presents additional dangers, and I know that if you're going solo, or on weekdays, or on less-traveled trails, you need to be better prepared. However, I also know that I have carried an awful lot of stuff around that I have never needed or used, and in case of a group trip, could probably be shared in case of an immobilization that required someone to go for help.

Tim

Water

Even though I go through water like crazy on a hot summer day I never drink more than 2 liters in winter.

If it's pretty cold out I boil my water when I get up and pour it into BPA-free nalgenes, which go directly into water bottle jackets and then into a cooler. Note that the empty nalgenes and jackets are quite heavy so if it isn't that cold you can use a much lighter bottle and only one jacket.

Tim

I have enough gear in my basement to outfit a group of newbies, so that wouldn't be an issue.

However, if I was to introduce someone to winter hiking, I'd start off small with a short hike to a non-peak, and then work up to something more intensive.

Tim

If they've got suitable boots, everything else can be improvised for a day hike. (Been there, done that with school kids.) But inadequate footwear will be off-putting, even potentially harmful.

If they've got suitable boots, everything else can be improvised for a day hike.

Ayup.

Don't have a fleece top? Use a wool sweater. Don't have a Gore-text shell? Use rain jacket and rain pants. Don't have Patagonia Micropuff Pants? Pick up or borrow a pair of wool Army surplus pants.

You've got to have: long underwear (baselayer), insulation, and wind protection. How you get there doesn't really matter as long as it can get wet and still keep you warm.

This is a very interesting thread. But, I'd be interested to know what the weight is on the packs you carry including water for: day hikes, over night etc. Also, if you ever find out the answer to your question:
I am still trying to figure out if the NH F&G considers hiking alone in the winter off trail to be in violation of Hike Safe.
(off trail or on trail) please let us know.

Anybody who has a winter gear list that include Columbia Ice Dragons is fine by me!

I love my Ice Dragons - wish they still made them!

And one suggestion I can make on softshell pants...check out the Stoic brand on Backcountry.com...they sometimes pop up on SteepandCheap too - very very nice, and a decent price compared to some of the better known brands.

I have enough gear in my basement to outfit a group of newbies, so that wouldn't be an issue.

However, if I was to introduce someone to winter hiking, I'd start off small with a short hike to a non-peak, and then work up to something more intensive.

I, too, am happy to initiate someone as long as they are willing to take my advice. People who ask and then ignore simply annoy me.

I've just been invited to a "Sleep Out" at UNH to raise awareness for the homeless, etc. I've got some gear to share for the night and have already suggested some things to the enthusiastic young woman who thought I might be interested in joining them. I've already talked her out of her cotton sweat pants; she's talked me into spending the night in the parking lot in my tent.

I would say, pack what you think you need and go camp in your backyard Friday and Saturday and don't go into the house unless it's a total emergency. Sunday morning you return. After a few weekends you'll have it figured out.

disclaimer: This works in Maine where we usually have some woods in the back yard. :)

Tim

Wt in grams
"0" means I used to carry it but stopped, at least for this example.

PACK-McHale SARC with thin inside pocket 2146
RAIN COVER-Large 0
WOOL SOCKS-RAGG 118
PRIMALOFT PANTS w stuff sack 632
PARKA TNF PolorGuard Jacket 752
FLEECE JACKET BLUE 0
Precip Jacket 328
WOOL GLOVES 42
OVERMITTS 15
GATES ETP GLOVES 180
FACE MASK 55
GOGGLES w sack 134
Windblock Hat 46
Earmuffs 52
STUFFSACK Large Black 58
BALACLAVA Thin 59

NALGENE BOTTLE w/WATER 556
Water Bottle insulator 98
20oz PET with Water 622

MAP 50
Headlamp 94
SUNSCREEN 50
Thermometer 50
TP w/lighter 68
WATCH- Suunto Altimeter
PLASTIC BAG Contractors grade 33 gal 188
First Aid Kit 100
SUNGLASSES W CASE 68
CAMERA - Canon 400 in ziplock 0
Chemical Handwarmers (2 sets) 100
Wallet and keys 50

DITTY BAG (TOTAL) 414
DITTY BAG 40
Extra Headlamp Batteries 69
PENCIL 4
Rope - Purple 56

Iodine 24
WHISTLE 8
IBUPROFEN 10
Floss w needles 12
BLISTIC 8
LIGHTER 18
COMPASS 25
LACE / Small Rope 18
SWISS ARMY KNIFE 84

SNOWSHOES - Sherpa Lightweights w/ Tuckers +
CRAMPONS - Green Ice 12 w/straps
Skipole - Blue w/ Black Diamond handle

Food 800

pounds:
Weight without crampons or snowshoes 17.8
Weight carrying crampons 19.9
Weight carrying snowshoes 22.4
Weight Carrying both crampons and snowshoes 24.5

Last edited:
Great thread, will add my list when I get a minute. Question for John H. Swanson: how is the Nalgene plus water only 556 g? Should be at least a kilo, right?

FWIW, here’s what I typically carry hiking solo on a cold, mid-winter day-hike of any substantial distance or elevation. It seems like a lot when listed but, like others have said, I like to carry what I need to spend the night wherever I might be. With groups, I carry mostly the same stuff.

Usually wearing:

Fleece Hat (sometimes w thin liner hat)
Gloves (waterproof, well-insulated fatties)
Long sleeve wicking tee
Fleece jacket
Waterproof parka
Mid weight Bergelene tights
Summer rain pants
Thick socks
Sock liners
Waterproof, insulated boots

Extras clothes I carry:

Balaclava
Extra long-sleeve wicking shirt
Heavy fleece pants
Extra gloves (mid weight fleece)
Extra pair warm socks
Down puffy Jacket

Gear:

Backpack
Stuff sack
Winter bivy sack
Rain cover for pack
2 Water bottles in socks or insulated sleeves
Water tabs
Headlamps (2)
Extra batteries (1-2 sets)
Whistle
Map
Compass
Lighter/Matches
First Aid Kit
Multi-tool
Straps

Food

Optional things that depend on hike:

Winter gaiters
Balaclava
20 degree sleeping bag
Goggles
Ice axe
Poles
Microspikes
Crampons
Snowshoes
Stuffed Reptar
Camera
Cell Phone
1-liter vacuum flask of hot tea
Stove
Fuel
Plastic mug

I'm sure it's not 100%, but I think it's close.

For overnights, add stove, fuel, sleeping bag (-40), full length thermarest, possibly tent, utensils.

Last edited:

Optional things that depend on hike:

Winter gaiters
Balaclava
20 degree sleeping bag
Goggles
Ice axe
Poles
Microspikes
Crampons
Snowshoes
Stuffed Reptar
Camera
Cell Phone
1-liter vacuum flask of hot tea
Stove
Fuel
Plastic mug

I'm sure it's not 100%, but I think it's close.

For overnights, add stove, fuel, sleeping bag, full length thermarest, possibly tent, utensils.

What is "stuffed reptar"?