winter pool sessions-hmmm

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkayaker

Reaction score
I have had mixed feelings on doing these for several years now, offered ion my area. It is not much fun carrying your kayak on a frigid night into a building and then putting it back on the car when you are tired and wet. It is certainly not the most scenic place to paddle a kayak. Thus, I have done few to-date.

But my roll have recently suffered (50/50) and I am disspaointed. I am now pondering doing some rolling pool classes this winter or early spring to gain skills and confidence back for next summer.

Anyone do pool sessions for basic skills, rolling, etc. whether for touring or whitewater?

I have not done pool sessions, but there are some that happen near me in Norwalk. I think this winter I will try to check it out at least once. Since I don't really have the clothes right now to paddle in the winter that can be a way that I can still get in my yak and practice.

Must also be nice not to have to clean my kayak and gear of the saltwater.

Yes, I have taken pool session classes both for general re-entry skills , rolls and rescues.
I'm a big believer getting any kind of instruction or tune up practice time esp during the off season.
Then when things warm up I'll go for outdoor practice sessions...some of which are offered by area paddle clubs or groups informally.
Right now I'm practicing out doors by myself...which means I have only a partially successful teacher....myself....flaws and all.

I think it's great to practice around other people even in pools to help get an overview of what is working good for you...or not so good.

Must also be nice not to have to clean my kayak and gear of the saltwater

Yeah, but I would have to clean my kayak and gear from the chlorine. All of the pool sessions near me are basically done at YMCAs or other public pools which are always so overchorinated, when I walk into the pool room, I always feel like I'm going to pass out!

I've taken one pool session near me on rolling, but I found it not that helpful other than having the pool. Instructors were OK, but I think I'm better off with others that can roll.

Jay