Winter Stove Favorites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is your favorite fuel type for a WINTER stove?

• Alcohol (whether home made or commercial, e.g., Trangia)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Solid tablet (e.g., Esbit, etc.)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Wood chips or twigs in a kettle (e.g., Kelly Kettle, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Candle (e.g., Nuwick, etc.)

• Canister only (e.g., PocketRocket, Reactor, Jetboil, etc.)

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Liquid fuel only (e.g., SVEA, Whisperlite, Exponent, etc.)

Votes: 43 69.4%
  • Combined liquid fuel and canister (e.g., Primus ETA MF)

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Wood fire but no stove

• Other (specify in your post below)

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Why would anyone be nuts enough to camp in winter?

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
I'm tired of hearing myself spout my own tested but trite advice on winter stoves. So, let's hear your opinion. Vote in the fuel type poll, tell us which brand and model of stove, and why it's your favorite. Please specify also the coldest temperature at which you have used this particular stove.

If you're voting for a canister stove, I would really, really like to hear what you're doing to keep the gas vaporizing at Northeastern elevations. I don't care about the boost from the thinner atmosphere in Colorado or Nepal -- what are you doing in this neighborhood?

If it's just for myself for a day or overnighter I take my canister stove and warm it up inside my bag and clothes before using. MSR Pocket Rocket or Jetboil. Since it's just for short term and quick use I don't usually bother with the overall efficiency too much.

If it's more than just me or for multiday I just use my MSR Whisperlite Internationale.

I own 2 8R's and a Primus MultiFuel. The 8R's are retired, resting in my gear storage. I may ask my family to bury me with the one I still have the original box for, purchased at the Ardsley NY EMS around 1973 for about $12. The MultiFuel hasn't been out below about 0, I don't think, not that it wouldn't work fine. I do remember a morning in the Adirondacks with the 8R that was about 20 below. I think I may have had to prime it twice, then it was off to the races. I don't care how loud these buggers are, I'd never go out in the winter without one.

I've been relying on my pocket rocket more and more in the winter. I don't have a hanging stove setup but I'm thinking about making one.

putting the canister in my jacket for a while, keeping it in the sleeping bag at night, etc. takes care of most issues.

Stove and Wood

I voted "other". I use a white gas stove (MSR Whisperlite International or Simmerlite) as my primary cooking tool but I like to use a fire for some items like kielbasa as an appetizer or to make breads.

I have switched to white gas liquid fuel in winter but back a few years ago, I used a canister stove (Pocket Rocket) exclusively. One winter backpacking trip . . . it was so cold (-10), that the canister would keep dying out, so I would unscrew it, carefully and place a second "warmed" canister on while I proceeded to warm up the first canister. This worked very well to cook my food but I learned something valuable about what happens to skin when you place a cold canister next to it. In my infinite wisdom, I was warming the canister by placing it between legs, while I sat in my sleeping bag. Freezer skin burn is a real thing and quite painful, OUCH. No more canisters in winter.

sli74

cbcbd said:
If it's just for myself for a day or overnighter I take my canister stove and warm it up inside my bag and clothes before using. MSR Pocket Rocket or Jetboil. Since it's just for short term and quick use I don't usually bother with the overall efficiency too much.

If it's more than just me or for multiday I just use my MSR Whisperlite Internationale.

Ditto on this except I use an XGK :D

I no longer camp in winter (bad back, winter backpacking pack is heavy :(), but when I did ended up with three MSR models: Whisperlight, Dragonfly and finally the real stuff, XGK. Lots of heating power, but still tried to camp near running water (beats melting snow in terms of time and fuel use).

Have used my ancient Optimus 8R down to around 0*F; will be experimenting with the alcohol stove next week.

I also have yet to cook with the "stove" in my avatar, but I think it would be hot!

I used to be a whisperlite die hard, but recently purchased a dragonfly. I like the dragonfly a lot (especially in combo with the outback oven!).

The whisperlite does have one thing in particular over the dragonfly- it sits lower so more of the pot is surrounded by the windscreen, which I have observed at low temperatures (around -10) tends to make it a little more efficient. Have used both at at -20 (no wind) with little difficulty.

I used to also be a die hard fan of homemade alcohol stoves (apparently I go through phases :eek: ). Drawbacks- need more fuel and they're slower. Brighter side- no parts to clog or freeze.

I had trouble getting all three to light in super cold temps (again, between 0 and -10). All fuel seems to need a little help at that point.

How does the fuel consumption of canister stoves compare to white gas? For cooking two meals (not add hot water types) plus melting snow for water and hot chocolate I have been going through about 1/2 to 3/4 of the larger MSR bottle in a day. The stove is probably running a solid three hours for all of that. With a canister stove would I be using a canister a day?

Last edited:
Hanging stove

I've never tried my alcohol stove or a canister stove in winter.

Although I can't stand fussing with a Whisperlite in summer, I'm very happy using my modified version for winter trips (see photo). The pot sits on top of the stove which fits through the cut-out bottom of a lightweight metal bucket. The fuel bottle is attached to a bracket that is attached to the bucket with a wingnut. The bucket itself serves as a heat exchanger, reflector and windscreen. Because the stove is suspended off the ground, there is no need for a base. The wires are attached to a rod that can be adjusted to the fuel level in the bottle, so the pot always stays level. The stove also warms up the (well-ventilated) winter tent nicely!

It was easy to make- Spencer should give it a try!

sleeping bear said:
How does the fuel consumption of canister stoves compare to white gas? For cooking two meals (not add hot water types) plus melting snow for water and hot chocolate I have been going through about 1/2 to 3/4 of the larger MSR bottle in a day. The stove is probably running a solid three hours for all of that. With a canister stove would I be using a canister a day?

"It depends on what your definition of 'consumption' is." ;)

What's the ambient temperature? What's the wind speed? How effective is your windscreen? Does your stove use a "heat exchanger" like the Jetboil and Reactor? You can get some answers to your questions at Zen Stoves -- How to Choose a Backpacking Stove. The site is fairly comprehensive but lacking on cold weather specifics.

Your cooking time is on the high side, methinks, even with the snow melting. Personally, I wouldn't be spending that much time in winter unless I was cooking for a dog team. And then they'd be dragging the stove and fuel, and I wouldn't be as concerned with efficiency. If I'm dragging or carrying the load, I use instant oatmeal, nearly instant rice and noodles, nuts, peanut butter, dried fruits, crackers, canned fish, instant cider mix, etc., in the winter to keep the cooking and melting to a bare minimum. YMMV.

EDIT: SVEA 123 is the preferred choice here in winter. I've used it to -30 F. The Whisperlite fusses too much to accompany me in the winter. For winter dayhikes (especially if I want to minimize weight), I sometimes take a Jetboil cup with heat exchanger (but without the stove burner) and burn Esbit tabs under it. Works like a charm, and the burnt fuel residue comes off easier than I first feared.

Last edited:
I've used my MSR Dragonfly down to around -26°F. It took a little more patience than usual to prime it but I wouldn't call it a problem and it then worked flawlessly. I trust that stove completely in the winter, especially since it's field-serviceable and parts are readily available.

Bushbuddy Ultra

It takes some practice and patience, but it is nice to be able to leave the gas at home. With one Esbit tab you can really get a good fire going. It takes more time to melt snow, but it is worth it in my book. Best of all the entire stove setup weights 5 ounces.

Jkrew81 said:
It takes some practice and patience, but it is nice to be able to leave the gas at home. With one Esbit tab you can really get a good fire going. It takes more time to melt snow, but it is worth it in my book. Best of all the entire stove setup weights 5 ounces.

Never used one of these. What kind of residue does the fire leave afterwards.

This is something a bit different to try too.

I need to change over from my Superfly canister stove to white gas for winter. I like the Svea 123, yet I keep hearing that it is loud. Just how loud is it? I do not winter tent camp, I tend to use the RMC cabins so is it too loud for the other guests?

I use a couple of Primus cannister stoves in winter. I don't own a white fuel stove.
The trick is put the cannister inside you jacket a half hour before you stop,and use a good windscreen to drive the heat down towards the cannister,being VERY careful not to overheat the cannister. At night toss a cannister in the bottom of your sleeping bag.
I usually put the stove down in the boot pit,and with good ventilation,I'm drinking hot coffee before I leave the tent in the AM.
Also,if you're setting up on snow,use a foam mouse pad tp insulate the bottom.

MadRiver said:
I need to change over from my Superfly canister stove to white gas for winter. I like the Svea 123, yet I keep hearing that it is loud. Just how loud is it? I do not winter tent camp, I tend to use the RMC cabins so is it too loud for the other guests?

Louder than a Jetboil. Quieter than a Whisperlite user cursing. :D

sardog1 said:
Quieter than a Whisperlite user cursing. :D

I thought you were tired of giving your opinion on stoves and wanted to hear those of others? ;) Nobody has mentioned cursing while using their whisperlite... On the contrary, several have mentioned that they use and like theirs...