Your NE67 Finish

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting stories, everyone!

If I can, I'm gonna do the 4-pack. Depends on who goes with me and how physically fit/accustomed to rough trails they are. Hopefully the climb up Mt. Coe isn't too rough...

Finished the first round of 67 on Sugarloaf, then finished the second round of 67 on Sugarloaf, and will finish the third round on, you guessed it, Sugarloaf (only have Abraham, Spaulding, and Sugarloaf left). None of them were "planned", they just happened as other trips got planned and cancelled.

I finished the 67 and 100 on Fort in June 2005.
We spent the first night at Roaring Brook and looped both Katahdin peaks on day one, including a slick trip over the knife edge.
The second night we stayed at Kidney Pond, and then looped Coe (up the slide), the Brothers and finished on Fort and out Marston.
It was wet all weekend, especially soaking on the route to Fort due to the scrub.
There's nothing quite like spending 4 hours with 5 hikers wearing stinky wet clothes and boots, partially dried next to a damp smoky fire pit.

Finished the 65 (at that Time) on Moriah finishing NH & NE. Had done Spaulding on the Way to Abraham from Sugarloaf. Had my mom & wife join me on Moriah & it was a hike both could do. Had initially thought of the doing the ADK 46 first. In order to do the 115, I had to go back & do Redington, so that ended up as #67. Love the view from Hamlin.

When I did NH, round two, I ended on Cannon where non-hiking family members got to ride the tram. As I finish the 46 some day, I'll end on Nippletop as it was the last of the 15 or so I had left with a trail that the kids could hike. Just a few left, keep going back & doing favorites. (it's an old avatar, they will be 13 & 16 by the end of school)

The three you have left all have decent hikes. I don't recall if they run the chair up Sugarloaf like they do Killington, if they did a less fit hiking friend not interested in the 67 could ride up and then just do the walk out to Spaulding. The knees might have to tackle the downhill as they likely could not ride down the chair.

Last edited:
We finished the NE 67 on Killington ... just worked out that way because it was Columbus Day weekend and we had a soccer tournament on Saturday in western Mass. and headed north afterwards. It was the only peak we hiked that we spent the afternoon at a bar on the summit watching the Patriots ... it was 1998 and watching the Patriots was still an exercise in futility. We concluded that no matter how the Patriots did, we'd rather spend the day on an uncivilized summit.

North Brother for the NE67 and NE115 finish because it was the most Northern peak on the list(s) . It was a toss up between finishing on the most Northern or the most Eastern (I had been hiking my way East) but the most Northern won due to it's remoteness and lesser traffic in comparison. Added neighboring Coe, S Brother and Fort on that day because there's always another worthy list to work on.. (turned out I enjoyed Fort the most in BSP due to the challenge of reaching it, it's even greater remoteness and the great views)

Regular: 48 / 67 / 115 - Carrigain - A great place to finish!
Winter: 48 - Adams, 67 / 115 - North Brother - Nothing wrong with finishing on either of these, as long as it's a nice day above tree line!

I finished the NH4K on Moosilauke with a lot of friends and family. I finished the NE4K on Bigelow-Avery with a through hiker who happened to be taking a break there. I finished the ADK46 and NE111 on Whiteface with a few friends and family. I finished the NEFF on Gore alone. I finished the Catskill 35 on Blackhead with one friend.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 33/115 (25/67, 8/46, 0/2)
NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 39/48; NEHH 81/100
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

NE111 on Lafayette, after Lincoln; NE Hundred Highest on Baldpate.

Ending on North Brother would be great, but if you're there you may as well go over to Fort.

Anywhere you finish will be worth it.

My NE67 finish was a triple finish of NH48/NE67/NEHH on W. Bond in the Winter of 2011. It was my first time up the Bonds so breaking trail between Bondcliff and Bond was interesting. We got off route staying along the ridge instead of making the right hand turn into the trees. A broken snowshoe thanks to a spruce trap goblin made it interesting. We only wished we had brought 2 bottles of champagne for the walk from Bondcliff to Lincoln Woods instead of 1.

My NE67/NEHH winter finish was on Moosilauke in the Winter of 2013. Pretty straightforward and nice to finish on one of my favorite mountains after going to school nearby.

Enjoy your finish, they're all special in their own unique way. Except for Cabot--everybody has their own least favorite. I never liked that mountain and a close encounter with a bear cub and momma bear are not easily forgotten.

Pat

I saved the Bonds for last so I could finish the 67/48/111 all on W Bond. It was a beautiful early autumn day in 2008. I hiked it just with my husband and my dog as a LW>Z Rd traverse. I'm not into big parties :)

Well it seems everyone else has added so my other finishes were:

W48 Adams and Madison -2010 - ended up being Mad because the weather was iffy so Ad was a reasonable choice for a first get that day

NEHH - Chain of Ponds Snow 2011 (?). Just such a long drive for one peak, I left it hanging a few years until finally we decided to knock it off on a weekday.

ADK46 - Saddleback in 2007. What a great day and definitely a choice to save the best for last. Memorial Day weekend, lots of rotted snow, a group of maybe 5 went with me?

Have finished 6 rounds of the 48: 2nd on Moriah, 3rd on Tecumseh, 4th on Passaconaway, 5th on N Tripyramid, 6th on Isolation. None really planned, just ended up that way.

Last edited:
I finished my 67 on North Brother in winter with only 1 friend. It was a clear day but windy and very cold. For me, this was a great way to end it, gazing upon my favorite and what I feel is the most majestic and unrivaled mountain east of the Rockies (Katahdin).
I would say you cant go wrong finishing on any of the peaks you have left. Certainly Spaulding lacks some of the grandeur of the other 2 but the experience is all inside you.
go with what the weather, the mountains and your ability say is right and it will be soecial.

Finished my 67 in 2004 on Old Speck with Metsky, who sweetly surprised me with a split of Champagne. It was a beautiful day with terrific views. Great place to end, but there are so many good ones to choose from. I think my favorites are the Bigelows and Hamlin peak. The views from Hamlin are like no others IMO.

Finished my 48 in 2000 on Carrigain also with Metsky (who finished his 2nd round at that time), another friend who was finishing his 4th (5th?) round, and 2 other friends who also finishing their 48 for the 1st time. It was late October, and we were surprised by a snowstorm, so no views for me! Still a very fun hike.

My NE67 finish was this last march 18th on Owl's head at midnight after a snow fall, by moonlight, without using the headlamp. Whacked the black pond trail without finding the herd path and broke trail to summit, it was much longer than I thought. The next day and 5 hours after I finished the hike, it was the 19th, last of winter. I was surprised by 6 friends that joined for Tecumseh. We then went to Moosilauke where we celebrated the finish of the W67 and W115 on a perfect sunny day. We took the wrong route up and followed an abandoned trail on our knees most of the time. It was awesome, we drank 4000'er IPA at the summit and had to run away from the frigid winds.

On another note, my ADK46 finish was on Blake, pretty deceitful summit, not much views, not even an indication of summit. I came back to it two days ago and felt how special this summit is now.

Enjoy your finish!

Last edited:
Not to be too much of a buzzkill, but are glass bottles allowed in the WMNF? They are not allowed in NY State Forest Preserves. And before someone asks, yes, I've been guilty of this sin a few times, but now that I know the regs, I try to observe them. And besides, cans are lighter, pack down more easily, and unlike years ago, the beer tastes great!

Not to be too much of a buzzkill, but are glass bottles allowed in the WMNF? They are not allowed in NY State Forest Preserves. And before someone asks, yes, I've been guilty of this sin a few times, but now that I know the regs, I try to observe them. And besides, cans are lighter, pack down more easily, and unlike years ago, the beer tastes great!
Yes, they're permitted. I'm surprised NY bans glass and not cans (like the BWCAW).

Buzzkill from a bottle or buzz from a bottle? We save our celebration 'til the trailhead because that's when, technically and practically, the fete is accomplished.

Mine was on Baxter Peak. My constant companion Marie finished on Hamlin. We did not really "save" Katahdin for any reason other than we hate crowds and it is always just a bit too busy for my taste. Still the beer when we got back to the camp site was awesome.
We still have Panther hanging over are heads for the HH finish. I would like to finish but not from the swath or the provincial park side. Has to be a clean bushwhack finish from the US side.
When we finished the 48 we shared a small bottle of bubbly but since then we wait for the return to camp to celebrate. Our worst injuries have all occurred at the end of the day, usually in sight of the road. :)