Your paddle plans?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
I can hear the waters starting to call and wondered what padlling ideas or plans people have for this season.

For my part, it'll be mostly day trips to local waters here in Massachusetts and southeast New England with some time in July kayaking and paddle caamping in Maine, destination undetermined just now.

What a coincidence, I just happen to be working on that now. I have two trips coming up, the one I'm reseaching now for the... Pipmucan Reservoir in Quebec..northeast of Chicoutimi. Two of us are hoping to do that in late Aug/Sept.

but
1st will be a 5 day trip down the Saguenay down to the Marine parc at the mouth of the river into the St Lawrence, Tadousac and the Bergeronnes for whales..whales whales..!

..waiting for the wind to die down so I can camp tomorrow off the coast of Maine..got the shovel & snowshoes lashed to the kayak.... ready to go and get gone...

happy paddling...

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to our anual kayak overnighter on the Connecticut River here in western NH. Usually around Memorial Day.

I can hear the waters starting to call and wondered what padlling ideas or plans people have for this season. ....

1.) I have just finished up a Wee Lassie II canoe. Hence, I am thinking of some river trips
a.) Raquette River from The Crusher to Cary Falls Reservoir.
b.) Saranac River bits and pieces.

2.) At less than 24 lbs, the Wee Lassie is a natural for small ponds that need to be carried into.
a.) The St. Regis Canoe Wilderness, NY
b.) Fourth Connecticut Lake, NH

3.) I have also been thinking A LOT about a trip from Lake Lila down the Beaver River through Lake Nehasane to Stillwater Reservoir. Might be too tough for a lightweight canoe.

4.) Other Kayak trips on my bucket list:
a.) Great Bay, NH (My first experience on the briny.)
b.) Flagstaff Lake, ME.
c.) Fulton Chain of Lakes to Blue Mountain Lake, NY.
d.) Saguenay Parque, Qu.

3.) I have also been thinking A LOT about a trip from Lake Lila down the Beaver River through Lake Nehasane to Stillwater Reservoir. Might be too tough for a lightweight canoe.

Have you researched that route? Last I heard it was impassable and illegal (and enforced). Otherwise, a nice To Do list.

I'll be doing my usual solo canoe trips to Algonquin and the Adirondacks (a variety), and one 4 or 5 day kayak trip somewhere on Georgian Bay. First trip of the season is a 6 or 7 day solo canoe trek planned for early May in central Algonquin Park.

Would like to cross Lake Champlain in the Tempest. Haven't researched it at all. Camp on the shore? Check out some of the interesting geology. Drink beer.

Would like to cross Lake Champlain in the Tempest. Haven't researched it at all. Camp on the shore? Check out some of the interesting geology. Drink beer.

ditto! Let me know when your going and we can meet up, i also have a Tempest?what color is yours, hehehehe

I'm sure you will have a great time. (let me know if you have any questions)
Heading down the Saguenay July 22-27. It will be quite a deluxe trip as we are going with an outfitter known for local delicious food. Hoping it is something that will also teach us a lot about the fjord and whales of course. When it ends we hope to camp nearby at a coastal spot known for good viewing. Still doing lot's of homework... ferries schedules etc. as we will be arriving there from the Gaspe.

Today just got back from 5 nights up though lakes Richardson & Mooselookmeguntic, Maine with a friend from Que as sort of a pre season warm up...beautiful weather these past few days.
.........happy paddling.....

Yukon

The Yukon never ceases it's call... barely a month to go befor the Yukon River Quest. As usual, will be paddling the race in a woodstrip voyageur canoe, as bow paddler and navigator.

Many paddle training days yet until then, including a Cannonball-90 (unofficial 90-Miler in a day), plus a couple of NY warmup races - Round the Mountain (Saranac Lake) tomorrow, and the 70-mile General Clinton on Memorial Day. A new race in Indian Lake debuts in August, and of course the 90-Miler in September.

Last edited:
I paddled on Lake Champlain and spent a night out. did not paddle across. The Lake Champlain Paddlers Trail Guide tells you where you can camp. some places are free other sites are at state campgrounds. If you go, let me know. If I have off I would love to go.

Hey Dax,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Need to check my posts a little more often.

Spent two nights on the lake in the vicinity of the Otter Creek. Didn't get enough though and want to go back asap!

Next trip will include Plattsburgh to Swanton, or Swanton to Plattsburgh, with two nights on the lake spent at leantos. Still working on logistics but if you are interested, let me know and I will really move forward with the planning. Looking for someone to commit to the trip. Sea kayaks best bet.

Be well.
Chris

The Deerfield River near Charlemont MA for mild white water-(I & easy II's) any weekend I will be staying home.
Scheduled releases 11am - 2pm almost every weekend day.
I have been there 4x already this year...