Zealand Hut via Z. Road- Skiing?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im taking a trip to Zealand Hut via Zealand Road. I have not been there, but the topo map suggest Z. Road is good for skiing. Assuming good conditions (1 inch fresh snow over hard pack/ some icy spots this morning), would the skiing be good?

Thanks.

( I'm trying to decide whether to pack just snowshoes or snowshoes and skis)

Last edited:
Zealand Rd is an excellent road for skiing and I've done it several times. Of course, conditions are everything and I cannot help you there. You can actually ski nearly all the way to the Hut. Skiing out is much better as it is a gentle downhill nearly all the way until just before the gate near the main road.

JohnL

I'm bravely doing this tomorrow or cowardly doing it Friday (after a day of practice), conditions willing.

There are two options, actually. There's the Spruce Goose intermediate/advanced cross-country ski trail which roughly parallels the road, or you can just ski the road itself. Most people are on the road for the relative ease.

At the end of the road, once you're on the Zealand Trail, there are places marked (blue tags on the trees, iirc) where skiers should diverge from the trail. These are wet, low sections, inappropriate for hiking, but in the frozen winter are the preferred ski route since the trail twists and winds up around them.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. Have just enough time to do base prep! MJ- maybe I will see you there...look for a guy with a Kelty pack and white skis and yellow grivel snow shoes.

Everyone have fun and be safe!