Cannon 8/4

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
We did an out and back on the Kinsman Ridge Trail. The trail is in as good condition as it can be. There is one tree down at about 2500'. The branches that would have blocked the trail have been cut off and it's an easy step over.

The trail can be divided into two fairly even parts. The first 1000 vertical feet are steep but fairly smooth under foot. The second 1000 feet are steep and very bony. The difference didn't affect our time going up very much, but coming down the lower section was much faster.

The trail is mostly dry, but there is plenty of water for dogie drinking all through the glades section. Some of the rocks in that section are wet but footing was not bad.

This was the first time I had been up that trail in non winter conditions in some time and I had forgotten just how bony the upper section of that trail is.

There were no bugs to speak of on the trail but up on the tower they were really thick.

Up by the tower there are ropes everywhere with signs warning not to cross over including under the tower. There were also signs warning not to allow pets in the area of the tram. I have in the past walked right up to the tram entrance with both Lauky and Duffy with no objections. On the way down I was told by another hiker that if you were to take the ski trail up near the top rather than staying on the hiking trail there would be a $300 fine.

On the way down I couldn't help but notice that with all the concern for vegetation at the top, the trees had been massacred down through the glades with much resulting erosion.

[email protected]

Last edited: