Tough Day on Wildcat Ridge, 6/1/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
June 1, 2013: The Wildcats, R/T from NMB

Trails: Nineteen Mile Brook Trail, Wildcat Ridge Trail

Summits: Wildcat “A”, Wildcat “D”

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

The plan for the day also included The Carters. The forecast for the day was tough with high heat and humidity predicted. Because of the forecast I was concerned we might start running significantly behind plan and have to bail at some point. Since Carter Notch was essentially the mid point we decided to hike the Wildcats first thinking Wildcat Ridge Trail is a tougher trail than Carter-Moriah Trail through The Carters. We can hike The Wildcats and then see where things stand.

We had an early target on-trail time. Once we reached NMB the final hike prep was brief and we were quickly hiking. We settled into a moderate pace and were able to generally just hike to the junction with Carter Dome Trail, which is the mid-point between the trailhead and Wildcat Ridge Trail. My concern was where we stood versus plan at the second visit to Carter Notch but I wanted to track our progress. We did a quick check and found we were over thirty minutes ahead of plan already; not bad! Soon we were on our way to Carter Notch and Wildcat Ridge Trail. We continued generally at the same moderate pace. It’s very early in our day but already I’m drenched with perspiration. I’m drinking and eating more than usual trying to keep my hydration and energy levels where they needed to be. I was pretty sure if I fell behind on either it would get late early.

We managed to stay with a solid pace and hit Carter Notch with the same cushion we had when we passed Carter Dome Trail junction. In other words, we slowed down a little versus book time. Perspiration was dripping off everything, including the brim of my cap. As far as I could tell, the heat wasn’t affecting Sue at all. If it was she wasn’t letting it show.

Before we started hiking I had already made a decision on how I would approach the climb to Wildcat A; slow and steady with as few stops as possible. Often, it’s easy to push hard until I need to stop and then lose time trying to bring things (heart rate, breathing, etc) under control. Slow and steady keeps things under control. With fewer stops and much less lost time the net time to the top is less. It doesn’t feel like a faster way up, but it is.

We didn’t lose any time at Carter Notch. We made the turn and started hiking Wildcat Ridge Trail. From the trail junction to the summit of Wildcat A Peak, Wildcat Ridge Trail kicks your butt. It’s a steep trail with good footing all the way up. If you keep things under control, and don’t try to take more than the mountain wants to give you, it’s not that bad of a climb. It’s a short climb; only .7 miles but it includes ~1050 feet in elevation. We were able to maintain the slow and steady pace all of the way up with only a couple stops. When we hit the summit we made a quick stop. I checked my hike notes and found bad news and good news; we didn’t gain any time but we didn’t lose any either. We visited the summit cairn, made a quick stop at the summit viewpoint, and set off for Wildcat D.

A short distance into the traverse across Wildcat Ridge between A and B peaks we came across some snow and it was suddenly time for an eighty-degree snowman. Sue went to work and soon we had our pictures and were again focused on D peak. Hiking from A to D doesn’t seem bad. There are a couple small elevation gains on the way to Wildcat Col but some very big descents. From Wildcat Col, the climb to D peak is somewhat gradual. I’m not suggesting the trip from A to D is tame, but it seems much easier than going from D to A.

When we hit D we found a large group already there. We stopped long enough for some fuel and pictures and were soon heading back to A. Before we left I checked our time and found we were now on plan. In other words, the cushion we had at Carter Notch was used up between A and D peaks (slower hiking, snowman, lunch at D).

After leaving D I became aware of being very thirsty. This was a sudden change. I immediately really increased my intake of water. I had my filter with me and knew I could make more drinking water if needed. I also had a quart of Gatorade in my pack, plus the Carter Notch Hut is open and we could go there for water after descending from A peak. I wasn’t really concerned but it was clear to me, the conditions were winning.

By the time we completed the round trip from A to D and back, it seemed obvious the hike was going to be shortened. The re-climb of C peak was a clear indicator of problems. Re-climbing B peak isn’t significant but finally heading for the summit of A peak I knew. Being unable to finish something like this bothers me, it bothers me a lot, but it seemed there was no choice. I honestly didn’t think I could make it to Carter Dome and really didn’t like the thought of turning around part way up. Before descending from A peak, Sue and I discussed the situation and made the decision. I don’t think Sue was very happy about it; I wasn’t very happy about it at all.

Very little was said between Wildcat A and the trailhead. I spent the time thinking about the plan, the conditions, my ability to handle the combination, and the realization that I’ve done much bigger hikes in tougher conditions. By the time we reached the trailhead I was wondering if perhaps it’s time. The shortened day was extremely frustrating and upsetting. I don’t enjoy letting myself down but letting Sue down really bothers me.

It was a tough day on Wildcat Ridge. Sorry Sue.

Pictures will follow.

:mad:

I wasn't mad. It was a tough day. Last week felt like early winter and this week felt like the middle of summer. Cutting a day short isn't a problem. Not knowing it's time to cut it short is. :confused:

It still was a nice day out. Thanks for letting me tag along with you. :)

Chalk it up to the abnormally hot weather and lack of acclimation to same. It's nowhere near time for you....

same experience, same day, across the street Earl. Had to scale back our plans mid hike. We did Jefferson & Clay but had to pass on Washington & Monroe. Dissappointing for sure but the right choice.

Everyone has a bad day Earl. We've had very few days this spring with temps in 80's, and when it has been it has been nice and dry. Much different than 90's and humid and it takes time to get acclimated those conditions, especially as we get older. I saw a lot of very red faces with body language that screamed distress on the trails Saturday and they were much younger than you and I. You made the right decision, no doubt about it!!!

I had a similar issue on the same mountain (Black Angel trail) last July. It was about 100 degrees and I was clearly overheating and my body didn't want to keep going. I didn't want to turn the group around so I stayed there for a few hours and rested. I would have felt extremely awful if I had forced them to turn around. I was moving so slowly at the time that it would have taken hours to finish the last mile. Instead, I stopped and took a nap while the group continued on. We met up again when they came back down.

Since then, I have come to the conclusion, if the temps are over 85 I'm staying home. Heat and I don't get along. I cancelled my hiking plans last weekend.

Ditto for me, I did a short caps ridge hike and did okay on the hike but was beat for several hours after the hike. I chalk it up to acclimation, snow one weekend and hit and humid the next.

Thanks everybody for your support and encouragement; I’m sure you’re all on-target.

It still bothers me to burn up like that on such a hike. The Wildcats from NMB isn’t a big hike, and that’s as far as the day went.

Given how tough the trail is, and the weather I think you made the smart choice - it never really cooled off Friday night. Plus, that slog up to Carter Dome is no fun when you're tired!

We got drenched descending Smarts Brook, which only drops 3100' over 5.7 miles. There is not much you can do in weather like that. Thankfully it only happens a few times a year!