Trail From Bog Brook Rd To Wildcat D/E Col?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Been eyeballing the maps for something different to "loop" and I noticed on CalTopo that there are "trails" leaving the area of Bog Brook Rd near Halls Ledge that ascend to the Wildcat D/E col where the ski lift dumps people off. See attached map. They appear on both the MapBuilder and Forest Service layers but they are not on my official AMC maps. Are there abandoned trails there that could still be followed? I am assuming they aren't someone's bushwhack tracks because they are on the FS layer. In particular I'd like to follow the one up the South spine of the Wildcat ridge (the left highlighted track on map).

Curious if anyone has done this, how easy it was to follow, etc. Think that would be a cool loop going up the valley, doing the Wildcats, Carter Dome and heading back on Rainbow Trail and Bog Brook or lower sections of Wildcat Trail (with a bail out option from Carter Notch down the Wildcat Trail). Appreciate any info people might have. Thanks in advance.

G0H66_1.jpg

In 2021, we did a loop from bog to Halls ledge, up Wildcat Valley Ski trail, over the ridge to the hut and back to bog via Wildcat river trail. The ski trail was a dirt road with tall grass

Another interesting loop is park on RT 16 at the Old Hutmans Trailhead then head up Old Hutmans trail and take it to Carter Notch Road, its shares some of the cross country ski trail network plus passes some historical apple orchards that the WMNF maintains. Then hike up Carter Notch road and cut over to Halls Ledge trail and then down to RT 16 then road walk back to your car. Halls ledge is bit grown in but its a mix of recently cut woods and much older woods heading down. Both are very short and very steep.

Only hypothesizing but I would be prepared for tall grasses, ticks and mud. Especially with all the rain the area has received. Wildcat Valley Ski Trail is designed just for that ...Skiing not hiking. Personally if I were to hike it I would do it under frozen conditions. Annual mowing goes on late in the Summer into the fall which might help hiking but again I would be prepared for somewhat of a spooge factor.

Only hypothesizing but I would be prepared for tall grasses, ticks and mud.
Yes that was my exact thought, especially the ticks. Every now and then I get messed up cruising out of the Great Gulf at dusk and wind up on the ski trails. They do not generally travel well in my experience.

Yeah, this is an area that tends to stay wet, and even more so this year with all the rain. The trails lower down off Carter Notch Rd will be gravel and fine, but as you ascend towards WC it’s going to become mucky muck. But I’ve never been much past the Prospect Farm area so YMMV.

Only hypothesizing but I would be prepared for tall grasses, ticks and mud. Especially with all the rain the area has received. Wildcat Valley Ski Trail is designed just for that ...Skiing not hiking. Personally if I were to hike it I would do it under frozen conditions. Annual mowing goes on late in the Summer into the fall which might help hiking but again I would be prepared for somewhat of a spooge factor.
Yeah, this is an area that tends to stay wet, and even more so this year with all the rain. The trails lower down off Carter Notch Rd will be gravel and fine, but as you ascend towards WC it’s going to become mucky muck. But I’ve never been much past the Prospect Farm area so YMMV.

Yes -- done these trails many a time, more often to head up to Carter Dome via the Rainbow Trail. Best to do them in drier conditions, and even better when frozen. It's a treat to see that ridge and Carter Notch from a different perspective.

Awesome link. Thanks.
I follow section hiker and his stuff goes to my email. His gear and trip reviews are top notch and it's worth following him. If I need a piece of gear or clothing, I look for his reviews on whatever I'm looking for.

Yes -- done these trails many a time, more often to head up to Carter Dome via the Rainbow Trail. Best to do them in drier conditions, and even better when frozen. It's a treat to see that ridge and Carter Notch from a different perspective.
I've done Carter Dome via Rainbow before as an out and back. It was a hot humid day in the Summer after some good rain so I wore Altra's, lycra shorts and a trashy old t-shirt assuming I'd just get soaked and muddy between all the river crossings and mushy areas. Most of the route I thought was fine but the lower portions of Bog Brook were seriously muddy. I didn't get as messy as I thought I would. I really love the Wild River Wilderness, even when it's wet.

I follow section hiker and his stuff goes to my email. His gear and trip reviews are top notch and it's worth following him. If I need a piece of gear or clothing, I look for his reviews on whatever I'm looking for.
Agreed. I also follow his stuff on a regular basis and it is definitely worth the effort in my opinion.

I’ve been thinking about a 2-3 night loop hike in this area sometime in the next week or two, to avoid the AT bubble and the more popular parts of The Whites. I’ve seen very mixed reviews of the tent sites and not Mitch about other options. If you have experience, reviews, or cool ideas of love to hear them… feel free to DM if there’s anything you’re not comfortable sharing with the whole world. Thanks!

I’ve been thinking about a 2-3 night loop hike in this area sometime in the next week or two, to avoid the AT bubble and the more popular parts of The Whites. I’ve seen very mixed reviews of the tent sites and not Mitch about other options. If you have experience, reviews, or cool ideas of love to hear them… feel free to DM if there’s anything you’re not comfortable sharing with the whole world. Thanks!

The Wild River is nice because there are no camping restrictions aside from the mile past the campground. Spruce Brook is pretty popular, Blue Brook is pretty beat but a nice water source, and the water at Perkins Notch is an adventure to No Ketchem or a longer carry than one might expect for a valley tent site. Aside from those, there are sites at most water crossings, all along Moriah Brook, and along the Wild River south of Spruce Brook thru Perkins Notch. My favorite spots are a little south of Spruce Brook, an old logging camp at a crossing about halfway up the west half of Black Angel, and any swimming hole on Moriah Brook.

I think we're in the AT bubble now. I did a stretch on the Carter Moriah Trail last SAT (up Rattle River and across to Middle Carter before backtracking and coming down the Imp) and we saw tons of AT through hikers - both SOBO and NOBO. I think we saw about 40 people throughout the day and more than half were At hikers. Don't recall ever seeing that many.

The Wild River is nice because there are no camping restrictions aside from the mile past the campground. Spruce Brook is pretty popular, Blue Brook is pretty beat but a nice water source, and the water at Perkins Notch is an adventure to No Ketchem or a longer carry than one might expect for a valley tent site. Aside from those, there are sites at most water crossings, all along Moriah Brook, and along the Wild River south of Spruce Brook thru Perkins Notch. My favorite spots are a little south of Spruce Brook, an old logging camp at a crossing about halfway up the west half of Black Angel, and any swimming hole on Moriah Brook.
Thanks!

This is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for. I mostly stick to day hikes during the summer because jam-packed campsites kind of spoil the fun and it’s not that easy to put together fun loops of the beaten track.

I did the MSGT last week and loved it- passed only two small groups of hikers and had the campsites to myself two out of three nights!