What camera(s) are you using to photograph wild flowers?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Over the years I have been curious about what camera setups were used for the spectacular wild flowers in the annual spring wildflower thread. This year I decided to ask!!

Please tell us about the camera, lenses (if applicable), filters and tripod or lack thereof you usually use. If you use a variety of equipment, when do you use which?

Mods: I have intentionally posted this in Backcountry rather than in Exposure to allow everyone to see it.

You can usually find this info in the EXIF data in each image file (unless a post-processing program has removed it). Just download the file and examine it with a tool such as exiftool http://owl.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/ (multiplatform, free).

To download an image:
* from vftt: click on "reply with quote" and URL will be visible or in firefox: click on "Tools" > "Page info" > "media" and you will be able to see the urls of all images on the page. (I don't use other browsers, but hopefully they have a similar capability.)
* use your favorite downloader, a browser to download the image file, or download from the "media" page "save as" button.
* examine the EXIF (generally gives the camera and lens models and the focus and exposure info).

There are lots of cameras that can take images that look good on the web. Generally the operator is more important than the gear.

Doug

Last edited:
I use a canon SLR camera, with two dedicated macro lenses.

My Canon 50mm Macro is ultra sharp, and capable of producing 1:2 reproduction, but the working distance is small. I can add manual focus extension tubes in to get this lens to 1:1 reproduction, but the working distance puts the lens almost in the flower at that point.

I also have a Sigma 150mm Macro lens. It's ultra sharp, and capable of producing 1:1 reproduction with a working distance of over a foot. The tradeoff there though is that it has a very narrow depth of field, and very little of the flower is in focus unless you shoot at very small apertures.

Always on a tripod. Usually with a light diffuser to soften the light hitting the subject.

Cant wait!

I am a NIKON pro photographer as well as an avid long distance hiker. Due to weight considerations I do not always take a camera with me on hikes but this May I am making an exception. I purchased an almost new Nikon Coolpix P510 on e-bay for only $229. It has a lot of capability and because I am hiking in Shenandoah National Park where there are a lot of animals as well as flowers (in May) I wanted to be able to capture the animals. My P510 has a zoom that goes from 24 mm (wide angle) to 1000 MM fantastic telephoto. The weight is about 20 oz. It has panoramic, close-up, movie capabilities. For flowers it can focus as close as 20". A lot of camera and fairly lightweight.
My pro cameras are a Nikon D800 and a Nikon D4s. My macro lenses are a 200 mm f/4 for outside and a Nikon 60mm for use in say an aquarium (I use a rubber hood pressed up against the glass so as to not get any reflections from the glass). I always use a tripod (the Nikoln P510 has vibration reduction so will NOT be taking a tripod with me on
any hikes although I d have a Hiking pole that is also a mono-pod which can be useful and not extra weight as I always carry hiking poles. Further, I almost always use a polarizing filter on my lenses. This filter is really great for pictures of rocks in a brook WHEN THE ROCKS ARE WET. Just so you know, dry rocks in a brook make terrible pictures!! When the rocks are wet you get to see all the colors and textures in the rocks. Sorry, this entry is so long. Contact me if I can offer any more information on doing photography while hiking or where to go to get the best flower pictures (other than South West Colorado I mean). I live in southern New Hampshire and have a web site here:
www.gordon-ripley.artistwebsites.com I hope all your photos come out just as you envisioned them! Gordon

I'm sure I am the exception to the rule here. It's great to have awesome equipment, and even better to have a lot of patience, but to be honest, I have neither. Perhaps my photography reflects that, I don't know. Now, whether I should even be responding to this thread is an arguable point, I am not a pro, and do not consider myself one. People who ask me for advice about photography would walk away more confused than ever. I am much less into the technical aspect than I am the spiritual. I photograph what pleases my eye as best I can, and that is all. I have always felt that far more important than the equipment is the eye of the photographer. Ansel Adams said, "You don't take a photograph, you make it." I take photographs, yes lots, I only need one, and I delete the rest. What I don't get right in the field, I adjust in Lightroom, just as Ansel Adams did in the darkroom. I hardly ever carry a tripod unless I'm doing night or early morning/late day where I know I'll need it. My equipment is mid-range, though I am getting better equipment piece by piece. Until a few years ago I shot almost always on the setting on my camera that said "flower" and seeing as I have sold many of those images I guess they weren't too shabby. I find that the biggest problems I have getting good images are not stepping on other flowers, kneeling in the mud, laying in the mud, harsh light and wind, black-flies and mosquitos and even worse, ticks. I hardly consider the equipment at all. Some of my best images I have shot in the rain, with dull, overcast skies. I find that the most important thing about photographing wildflowers is to be out there each day looking for them as they appear and disappear, learning where they'll be and when. Their time is short. I know this isn't really what you asked about, but just my 2 cents, I hope it helps...

I've been carrying my Nikon D300 with a 24-85mm for a while now. It seems to be a pretty versatile combo. It's capable of decent macro-ish shots with usable zoom as well. I've taken some crappie for spending hundreds of dollars to drop a couple of ounces and then strap a 5 plus pound camera setup around my chest. On more than one long trip I've sworn it would be the last time and then I get home an see the photos and can't leave it behind.

I'm sure I am the exception to the rule here. It's great to have awesome equipment, and even better to have a lot of patience, but to be honest, I have neither. Perhaps my photography reflects that, I don't know. Now, whether I should even be responding to this thread is an arguable point, I am not a pro, and do not consider myself one. People who ask me for advice about photography would walk away more confused than ever. I am much less into the technical aspect than I am the spiritual. I photograph what pleases my eye as best I can, and that is all. I have always felt that far more important than the equipment is the eye of the photographer. Ansel Adams said, "You don't take a photograph, you make it." I take photographs, yes lots, I only need one, and I delete the rest. What I don't get right in the field, I adjust in Lightroom, just as Ansel Adams did in the darkroom. I hardly ever carry a tripod unless I'm doing night or early morning/late day where I know I'll need it. My equipment is mid-range, though I am getting better equipment piece by piece. Until a few years ago I shot almost always on the setting on my camera that said "flower" and seeing as I have sold many of those images I guess they weren't too shabby. I find that the biggest problems I have getting good images are not stepping on other flowers, kneeling in the mud, laying in the mud, harsh light and wind, black-flies and mosquitos and even worse, ticks. I hardly consider the equipment at all. Some of my best images I have shot in the rain, with dull, overcast skies. I find that the most important thing about photographing wildflowers is to be out there each day looking for them as they appear and disappear, learning where they'll be and when. Their time is short. I know this isn't really what you asked about, but just my 2 cents, I hope it helps...
Internet photography forums are infamous for long impassioned discussions about the fine points of various items of gear. To paraphrase the Baron von Richthofen, "It's not the camera, but the person behind the camera that matters". Sure, fancier camera gear can expand one's envelope (range of conditions in which one can take pictures), but the artistry comes the operator, not the gear--there is at least one photography art book where the photographer used only a cellphone camera. That said, even untended automatic cameras (eg http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/cam/index.php) can occasionally take pictures that humans judge after-the-fact as being nice.

The artistry is executed by the photographer, but the beauty and/or message is perceived by the viewer.

Some good places to read about technique:
* http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/
* http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/index.html
* http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm
* http://bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/
* http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/ (click on tutorials)
* http://www.canonrumors.com/ (Canon gear oriented, but there is a lot of good discussion on technique in the forums. There are other presumably similar websites focused on other manufacturer's gear.)
* and loads of other sites

Each of these sources has its own style--it is worth looking at a wide range.

Doug