What camera do you use?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritter

Reaction score
What camera setup do you use to capture your outdoor adventures?

For years I have used an Olympus Stylus 1030 SW tough series. The camera's toughness is amazing as I can drop it, submerge it in water, throw it in a sweaty pocket and still take pictures. However the camera's image quality leaves something to be desired. Colors look flat, snow looks washed out and low light shooting is impossible. So I have been looking for a worthy replacement for the trusty Olympus.

For a long time, I almost exclusively used my cell phone camera (Sony Xperia X10), which took halfway decent photos. In warmer weather, I used a Voigtlander Bessa R film camera, with a combination of a 50mm f/1.5 Leica Summarit (circa 1949) and a 35mm f/3.5 Summaron (circa 1952). In April, I bought a second hand Panasonic G1 12.1 MP Micro 4:3 mount camera body. I also bought a couple of adapters, enabling me to use not only the two lenses I listed above, but also the selection of late 70's/early 80's Canon FD mount lenses that I own. Results have been mixed to say the least. The problem I run into, is that the Micro 4:3 mount (with the adapters) effectively doubles the focal length of the lenses I'm using. So a 35mm, will effectively become a 70mm. The best results I've gotten were from the 35mm Summaron, though due to the small size of the lens, I experience a lot of drop off in the corners, so while the center will be nice and sharp, the corners will be blurry. I don't have the corner issues with a 28mm Rokinon FD mount lens, but I have issues with focus, so while the pictures come out fairly well, unless I'm focused at infinity, it's a crapshoot.

All in all, my current setup is fairly lightweight (especially with the Leica glass), and when focused properly, gives excellent results. Being a vintage camera/lens buff, this is the cheapest digital setup that I was able to put together, without spending a fortune on a Leica body!

Cheers,

Bill

I have been using a Nikon Coolpix P5100 for a few years. The scene settings due a great job with snow, sunsets, etc. I do miss being able to use filters with it, but I take many more good pictures with it than I did with the SLR (due to taking many more pictures total). It has a 3.5x optical zoom, but with the 12.1 Mpix. blowing it up afterwards works as well. Most of my shots are wide angle, and the included panorama maker makes this a snap.

I still use a Canon 5MP S50 while on the kayak because I invested in a waterproof housing. About 5 years after I got it, it died. Then I found out that Canon had a lifetime warranty because they found that the epoxy used to attach the optical chip to something was defective. They fixed it for free.

I also have a Canon HF200 camcorder. Long after it became replaced by newer models they upgraded the firmware in the unit to accept the faster SD cards. These cards did not exist when the camera was being marketed. Again, for free.

I have a pentax "waterproof" camera but there are so many rubber doors and lips that need care and attention that I rarely bring it out on the boat. The usb connector is not really usb compatible, and the picture gets very grainy in lower light conditions in auto mode.

I currently use a Panasonic DMC-ZS9. It uses a Leica lens, with 16x optical zoom and 21x digital. It takes amazing good pictures for a point and shoot, and got it for about $125 on an Amazon deal. Very long battery life as well.

For most casual hiking, I take a Canon PowerShot A720IS. Powered by AA's, I can interchange batteries with my headlamp or GPS, so it's especially handy for backpacking or other multiple-days-without-recharging type trips. I really like the picture quality with the (slightly) larger lens, and it has survived the rigors of many trips. The only drawback is that the movie mode is only 640x480.

My go-to point-and-shoot is a Canon PowerShot SD780IS. It's tiny and light. It takes lovely photos, but has a tiny lens so depth-of-field control is not really an option. It has a custom lithium-ion rechargeable battery, and I have never actually gotten to a low-battery state. This was also my usual camera for skiing until I got the iPhone. It takes very nice quality 720p video.

I use my iPhone 4S for photos while skiing, since I carry the phone anyway for contact with my fellow skiers and it does a decent enough job in a situation where I'm not trying to be creative. I use a Contour helmet cam for hands-free video while skiing.

For more photography-oriented hiking or events I use a Canon Rebel with an f/4-5.6 17-85mm lens, and for my most serious photography a Canon 40D with either a 24-70mm f/2.8L or my favorite, the 100mm f/2.8L macro, which grabs awesome action shots (like the ones of the dogs). I also recommend the f/2.0 50mm, and it's always fun to have a fisheye. The 40D is a beast, though, particularly with the battery grip, and so I rarely take that on a hike.

Last edited:
The problem I run into, is that the Micro 4:3 mount (with the adapters) effectively doubles the focal length of the lenses I'm using. So a 35mm, will effectively become a 70mm.

On a related subject, you can purchase new bayonets for a variety of Leica lenses to convert them to fit Nikon, Canon, and Pentax (among others) camera bodies, avoiding the need for using doublers or extension tubes as adapters. Once such place that sells these is here. The conversions are fully reversible.

Until recently, I had quite a bit of Leica glass sitting around collecting dust after I began shooting digital only. I've converted several of the lenses over the past year or two and am quite happy with the results.

The drawbacks (if you want to call them that) are manual focus and metering; with a digital camera's immediate results, this has not been a problem.

The advantage, though, has been the adaptive re-use of excellent quality glass.

Last edited:
I use a Canon G12 as my compromise camera for hiking. I like it, but if my Nikon D300 wasn't so big and heavy I'd prefer to take it on my trips, along with four lenses (zoom, w/a, fisheye, and macro) and my tripod.

Based on lots of good input from this thread I recently upgraded from a Canon sd870 (which we still use) to a Canon s100. I'm a lazy P&S picture taker (can't even call myself a photographer); really just looking to document the outing and maybe get 1 or 2 per trip that are worthy. I'm very happy with the s100 so far; good accurate colors, good depth separation, good movie mode, etc. Not the cheapest option available and no view finder, but it's compact, sturdy and more than adequate for me now.

I use a Canon PowerShot SX130 IS point-and-shoot. Nice little camera that takes great photos all year round in all kinds of conditions.

I also use the SX130. Great wide angle, 12X optical zoom, and image stabilization. I miss an optical viewfinder but other than that, it's perfect for me.

I still have my trusty A570is for a backup.

When hiking, I generally use a Canon SD800 IS P&S. It is light, fits in a pocket, and has an optical viewfinder. Unfortunately it requires a custom battery.

My back-up P&S is a Canon A590 IS. A little bigger, but it uses AA batteries and also has an optical viewfinder.

When photography is the main objective, I use a Canon Digital Rebel XTi (DSLR) with a choice of several lenses.

Doug

I use a Nikon Coolpix P7000. I got it on sale when the P7100 came out. Haven't been disappointed with it at all- takes great images in all light levels, and the color contrast is superb.

For most of my hiking/skiing adventures I use my Canon SD800. Especially for skiing I need a view finder. I also have a Canon S3 for more involved ski photography, I rarely carry it while hiking. A G12 or some similar advanced P&S with a viewfinder may be in my future, but they have to get a better burst mode before I make the switch.

Disclaimer: I am pretty new to photography. I'm currently using a Canon Rebel T3 with the default 18-55 IS II lens for "serious" pictures, and I love it. It's small enough to wear in a case attached to my chest strap for easy access without getting in the way too much. The only complaint I have is that the LCD is too small but that's about it. My wife had a Rebel about 20 years ago and her lens fits the body on my camera, which itself is amazing considering the changes in cameras during that time.

My hiking P&S is my Droid 4 as it can hang out in my pocket (easy access) without getting damaged, it also serves as a GPS/map in a pinch and of course a safety measure. The picture quality is good enough that most people are shocked it came from a camera. I used to use a Coolpix 4200 but it was the most awful camera ever (from reading these posts though it looks like things are much improved for that camera line).

Last edited: