How To Hike Katahdin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went up 30 years ago, got hooked and Have had the good fortune to make it to BSP every year since, including a dozen trips over KE. I have an increasing fear of heights, making it more difficult now to traverse KE, but it is certainly doable, especially in decent weather. For me, I can only go up from Pamola, not down the knife, that may just be me. Great advice so far, I would echo any chance you have, to extend your trip, to protect against a bad weather day and/or see more of the park. If you are at all a camper it is definitely a better option to be in the park and avoid the gate issue on the day you hike Baxter peak. Also a better feel for the park. Doubletop is a great mountain with great views at the mass of Katadhin. I have spent time hiking in the west, Wyoming, Utah, the Dakotas, Colorado, as stated above BSP is closest similar experience in the east, a magical place. I would recommend the guide book sold on the park website-originally written by Steven Clark, decent map, good descriptions of park trails, excellent primer for the park. Several basic motels in town, AT Café is a great breakfast spot (opens early), Good luck and have fun

Last edited:
Better late than never to add my two cents! If you are going to camp outside the park try to get as far away from the roads as possible. The logging trucks are brutal, loud and frequent and start very early. Be prepared for very persistent critters in campgrounds in or out of park, especially lean-to's. Chimney Pond I have seen chippys in packs within minutes of setting them down, take advice re:hanging food on bear lines seriously. Have a filter for pumping water even if you are not camping in park, you will go through ALL your packed water on these long hikes. Cabin bunks at Chimney Pond were awesome, the cabin is relatively new, you can reserve online after Maine residents get first dibs, but I got a night for myself and my son-during the week- within a month of our visit. We did Hamlin (have gloves for rough rock grabbing no matter the trail) to tablelands to Baxter and down the Saddle. Rocks on Saddle super loose at the top, to shiny really worn down, slippery if wet slabs lower down. There is a nice small stream, usually dependable clear cold water on way out on Saddle, or you can hit Chimney Pond to pump water for the way out. Spring at top on Hamlin was non-existent, slimy when we were there. Check postings ahead of your dates for updates on water sources.
Also, highly recc. additional days, so much to boot plant on with amazingness all around. Butt sliding off of Coe, views from so many peaks.
My first attempt for Hamlin/Baxter was seriously rained out by remnants of a hurricane one Sept. Only having one day to hike is rolling the dice, especially considering the remoteness of it all. Enjoy!!