Owls Head Camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuck

Reaction score
I am planning on doing Owls Head this weekend with camping on Saturday night. Are there good spots close to the mountain? Thanks very much.

Tuck

Please clarify, are you planning to backpack in setting up a tent and then hiking out the next day? or are you just looking for a campground near the trail head? The woods are pretty well beat down from years of folks camping up in that area.

There are plenty of options in the woods to the west of the trail prior to the last stream crossing that would meet wilderness regs. As for nearby campgrounds, there are several WMNF campgrounds near Lincoln Woods.

There are a bunch of illegal spots on the LBT south of the slide. If you go past the slide by about a third to half a mile there is a great spot on the west side between the trail and the brook. If you hit the washout, you've gone to far. There is not heard path to this spot though, so you need to be looking for it, about 200 feet off the trail. Some people camp on top too, which is totally fine since the trail isn't official.

Please clarify, are you planning to backpack in setting up a tent and then hiking out the next day? or are you just looking for a campground near the trail head? The woods are pretty well beat down from years of folks camping up in that area.

There are plenty of options in the woods to the west of the trail prior to the last stream crossing that would meet wilderness regs. As for nearby campgrounds, there are several WMNF campgrounds near Lincoln Woods.

Backpacking and setting up tent and hiking out next day.

I think there's at least one spot on the Brutus whack that large enough for a tent. Pretty sure it meets the 200' rule. I know the spot was used in winter but not sure how level it is in summer.