Female Direttissima Completion !!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believed I might have been the first female to complete this hike when I finished it on 8/22/14, so maybe there was another before me. Arlette definitely has the FKT, it took me 14 days. I also chose to do the hike self supported instead of unsupported. The shortest route I could come up with had me walking right through several places that accept maildrops: Lafayette CG, the Highland Ctr and the town of Gorham. So while I admire the independence and toughness shown by Mats Roing and Arlette, I took advantage of the resources available to me and had a really enjoyable hike. I also read Mats was turning down food offered to him? No way, if accepting food from day hikers is wrong when self supported, I don't want to be right! If it's free, I'm eating it. My rules for myself were hike all the miles and anything that was available to all hikers, I sent to myself, or serendipitous (think trail magic) was fair game. HYOH.

I think the Direttissima would be a great 3-4 week backpacking trip through the Whites and I hope these discussions will get more people out doing it. Anyone interested in doing something like the JMT, CO trail, etc. would most likely enjoy coming to do this. While I was hiking I'd heard stories of a few attempts at this trail by people trying to beat Mats' time, having a miserable time and quitting. I'd really like to see more people just go and hike this and complete it. It's fun. Although Cabot was a kind of an anti-climactic place to finish.

Remarkable! How many folk have done this, and do you usually resupply, such as at Pinkham?